GPS too accurate for geocaching in the future?

With potential accuracy improvments in GPS® and the new gps system in the works is it going to get to the point that geocaching is going to become too easy?

Are new units will tell you the cache is 29ft 4in bearing 120deg. + or - 3inches?

-------> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave to a troll

[This message was edited by k2dave on May 23, 2002 at 11:38 AM.]

[This message was edited by k2dave on May 23, 2002 at 05:58 PM.]

IF consumer GPSr's ever actually achieve this level of accuracy, geocaching will go on. The geocache locations will no doubt be chosen to compensate for it. Caches can be hidden in places such as heavy tree cover, deep valleys, canyons, or others with poor reception. Or caches may simply be hidden much better making them harder to find even if you know you are close.

The hunt will go on.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

Getting there is most of the fun, anyway, so why would it matter if you don't have to poke around when you get near?

More accuracy would probably be better: consider how much less damage would be done to the area around the cache if anyone could just go straight to it instead of moving every log and twig within 30 feet.

For those caches where finding the hiding place is all the fun, such as the (hypothetical) cache I once proposed with a drilled-out limestone rock on a limestone-faced flood-control dike, you'd just do an offset cache ("somewhere within 5 feet of ...")

warm.gif

For me it is not the destination...it is the journey. Geocaching provides a great excuse to travel to locations that are often overlooked because they are so close to home. It provides an opportunity to plan a family gathering/outing and walk the dog and get fresh air. icon_rolleyes.gif

"I ain't got time to bleed!"

For me it is not the destination...it is the journey. Geocaching provides a great excuse to travel to locations that are often overlooked because they are so close to home. It provides an opportunity to plan a family gathering/outing and walk the dog and get fresh air. icon_rolleyes.gif

"I ain't got time to bleed!"

All you (or Jeremy) would have to do is limit the accuracy of the given coordinates. If the coordinates are only given to 3 decimal precision, it doesn't matter how accurate your GPS is. Perhaps you could give higher precision coords for microcaches, etc.

rdw

IMHO, all but the the most sophisicated GPSr's (those built for military, surveying and aeronautical navigation) will always have systemic variances that are inherent to the publically available system. After all, how much accuracy does a consumer unit really need beyond the capabilities provided through WAAS enhancments. If you need more of a challenge you can always turn off WAAS.

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

When we get thataccurate, I will start micro enscribing clues on various insects in the general area, and I will hide nano-caches (about the size of that tick you picked off last hunt) with molecular sized prizes, like a couple molecules of silly putty, some ecto-plasm, etc.

--majicman (Hey, I think my brain is shrinking...)

maj-gps.gif

majicman

Considering that I'm a solid 1/5 kind of guy (i.e. blaze orange 55-gallon drum cache in the crater on top of a mountain on a desert island preserve with no motorized approaches allowed), I'd be more than happy if GPS was accurate to an inch or so.

Whenever this topic comes up (as it does every so often), I just remind myself that it's the 5/1's that really would have a problem with it, and I know that I'm about as far from that as possible. icon_biggrin.gif

Considering that I'm a solid 1/5 kind of guy (i.e. blaze orange 55-gallon drum cache in the crater on top of a mountain on a desert island preserve with no motorized approaches allowed), I'd be more than happy if GPS was accurate to an inch or so.

Whenever this topic comes up (as it does every so often), I just remind myself that it's the 5/1's that really would have a problem with it, and I know that I'm about as far from that as possible. icon_biggrin.gif

That sort of "general" accuracy is a little (long) way off for now.

But even when accuracy gets sub 1-1.5m some countries have actually "moved" close to that in the past 10-15 years relative to the system and local coords.

Oh, what a worry that will be icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

That sort of "general" accuracy is a little (long) way off for now.

But even when accuracy gets sub 1-1.5m some countries have actually "moved" close to that in the past 10-15 years relative to the system and local coords.

Oh, what a worry that will be icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

Even if the GPS receiver accuracy improves, the physical limitations of using a GPS unit under tree foilage will prevent that accuracy from being effective. The RF satellite signals being used just won't work any better. A completely new system would be needed first.

The only improvement would come from only placing geocaches in large open areas which are at or above the surrounding terain. It might be fun though searching for a desert or beach microcache in a sand coated 35mm canister! icon_wink.gif

Super Cacher!

Even if the GPS receiver accuracy improves, the physical limitations of using a GPS unit under tree foilage will prevent that accuracy from being effective. The RF satellite signals being used just won't work any better. A completely new system would be needed first.

The only improvement would come from only placing geocaches in large open areas which are at or above the surrounding terain. It might be fun though searching for a desert or beach microcache in a sand coated 35mm canister! icon_wink.gif

Super Cacher!

I really wouldn't worry about this. If they get more accurate, the terrain difficulty will go up or the hiding will get more creative.

More accurate gps units will not make it easier for some at all. Some 1/1 caches almost sit in the open and some people still can't find them. I know people that can't find their own butts even with both hands and a road map. icon_wink.gif

Personally, I think that kind of technology for the average person is quite a long way off.

inceptor

North Texas Geocaching Association

I really wouldn't worry about this. If they get more accurate, the terrain difficulty will go up or the hiding will get more creative.

More accurate gps units will not make it easier for some at all. Some 1/1 caches almost sit in the open and some people still can't find them. I know people that can't find their own butts even with both hands and a road map. icon_wink.gif

Personally, I think that kind of technology for the average person is quite a long way off.

inceptor

North Texas Geocaching Association