island cache

SPIN360

quote:
Originally posted by SPIN360:

I'm thinking of putting a cache in a location that will require you to have a canoe or a small boat to lacate it. Do you think many people would be interested in this type of cache?

I am planning on helping MtnFrog & Camel place one next year. This particular island has a movie set, from an early 1950's movie, that is still intact. Because of boating restrictions and seasonal changes, the cache will only be reachable for a few months each year. (NOPE. Not tellin where.)

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

In Florida (other states too, I suspect) there are MANY caches located on islands, and requiring a boat to get to the location. So this is nothing special, but yes, it is a nice way to make things more challenging.

Perhaps you will be able to give some more serious thought to how to rank the level of difficulty that folks down here seem to do. All of the island caches that I have seen in south Florida have difficulty = 4 and terrain = 5. I think you are stuck with terrain = 5 according to the standard Geocaching method of estimating terrain difficulty (5 if it requires special equipment, which includes a boat), but consider the actual difficulty to get the other score.

What has bothered me is island caches at locations that are major 'party spots' for boaters on weekends. Anyone with the money to own a boat then has a very easy time with the cache, but for others, it really might be a challenge. If it is easy to find once on the island, you might consider a lower difficulty level, or if it is a shallow location so that only canoes, kayaks, etc. can get there (meaning someone actually has to do some physical activity, vs. driving up in their motor boat) it could be higher.

I have just one 'water cache' in Florida with a relatively high difficulty level (terrain = 5, difficulty = 3). It actually is under water, and requires both a boat, and then diving down 8 to 10 feet to get the watertight box, which has to be returned after the visit. You can check out the cache site if you are interested. It is called "Eight Feet Under" in zip code 33458.

I've placed one, been to two, and we're having an EVENT!!!! on one on Sept 27th. You must make the terrain rating a 5 if you need a boat, scuba gear, climbing gear, or some other specialized equipment to get to the cache. You can post coords for boat rental places nearby, but you can't really make it an ad or anything for the boat rental place, or your cache could be considered commercial. If there is a boat launch, coordinates to that are sometimes appreciated too. Do it and then tell us where it is so we can go for it. If there is a charge for park fees or boat launching fees that should be noted on the cache page as well.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

quote:

I'm thinking of putting a cache in a location that will require you to have a canoe or a small boat to lacate it. Do you think many people would be interested in this type of cache?

Er, is that lactate it?? That could be very, um, er, interesting!

Just kidding, you'll obviously get far fewer attendees, but they'll appreciate it. (I suppose that's also true if you had to lactate it with a small boat...)

At the first major event this year, we discovered a disproportionally large number of geocachers also own paddle boats. The second major locale event featured a half-dozen boat-accessible caches. Planet already told you about the upcoming event... I can't imagine that's just true here.

Enjoy,

Randy

quote:
Originally posted by RJFerret:

quote:

Er, is that _lactate_ it?? That could be very, um, er, _interesting!_

Just kidding, you'll obviously get far fewer attendees, but they'll appreciate it. (I suppose that's also true if you had to lactate it with a small boat...)

At the first major event this year, we discovered a disproportionally large number of geocachers also own paddle boats. The second major locale event featured a half-dozen boat-accessible caches. Planet already told you about the upcoming event... I can't imagine that's just true here.

Enjoy,

Randy

I guess I should have proofread my post. Where is that dadgum spell check button when you need it!! ha ha icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Uh oh, Spin360, your name is pretty close to Team360. I hope he doesn't quit again icon_wink.gif

(Just kidding, Jeff)

Cold.

Funny. But cold.

Pan

What does anybody want? I want the Red Sox to win the World Series. - Bill Pullman as Alan Safian in Malice, in response to being asked "What do you want?"

I think they're fun. I've done a few island caches, but one in particular was absolutely SWARMING with 'skeeters. They were most happy to make my acquaintance.

I'm itching to place a SCUBA one, myself.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:

Uh oh, Spin360, your name is pretty close to Team360. I hope he doesn't quit again icon_wink.gif

(Just kidding, Jeff)

http://www.texasgeocaching.com Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

That explains the e-mail he sent me about my name.I didn't know if he was mad about it or not so, I didn't send a reply.

Incidentally, I *really* need to get off the waverunner and back into the canoe for some hydrocaches. There are a whole bunch I haven't done yet. I just need to get a wet suit for my birthday this year... then I can more safely paddle in cold weather.

(I've been a baaad hydrocacher... I need to get to paddling.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:

quote:

(Just kidding, Jeff)

http://www.texasgeocaching.com Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

That explains the e-mail he sent me about my name.I didn't know if he was mad about it or not so, I didn't send a reply.

No, not upset about the similarity. I just don't want it to cause any confusion. But hey, thanks for the iggy. icon_wink.gif