A good night caching flashlight?

I use a Petzl MYO5 headlamp. It has the best of both worlds: a variiable 5 LED for wide dispersion, and a narrow halogen thin beam good to 100+ yards. http://www.ems.com/products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442582152&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302849158&fromTemplate=navigation%2Fpromo_subcategory.jsp&bmUID=1066251457353

I also carry an ASP as a backup.

"Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused"

quote:
Originally posted by ScottJ:

By the way ...

Does it strike anyone as weird (and a little dumb) that Mag doesn't yet have an LED Maglite, and virtually every competitor does?

These guys have long been recognized as the leader in high-quality professional flashlights, yet when it comes to LED technology, they've clearly missed the boat! Wonder what they were thinking?

Scott

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

There's a link in a post on page one of this thread to the LED museum site. They have reviews of many products, including a kit to upgrade the mini mag lite to a three led configuration. The only drawbacks are you will lose the ability to focus the beam, and it only works on recent models. There is also a review of a kit for the three D cell mag lite, for converting it to a UV led light. I didn't see any that convert the full size mag lites to white led's.

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]

quote:
Originally posted by Bloencustoms:

There's a link in a post on page one of this thread to the LED museum site. They have reviews of many products, including a kit to upgrade the mini mag lite to a three led configuration.

I bought one of those kits and converted one of my Mini-Maglites. The results aren't bad, but as you say, no focusing. I simply can't understand Mag's stubbornness about releasing an LED product of their own.

BTW, what DOES your geonick mean? It sounds vaguely like something female smugglers might do to get through the airport... icon_smile.gif

Scott

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)