How did you find out about Geocaching???

Heard about it through a friend while we were on a wilderness search and rescue operation in NC. Ray mentioned he was taking his scouts out geocaching to teach them how to read GPS and compass. Since we like to keep our skills honed, this seemed like a fun way to stay practiced as well as fit. Besides, that, we've introduced another dozen folks to geo-hunting to date. Plenty of bushwhacking and swamptrompin' down here!

I was surfing the web and reading about Letterboxing and thought it sounded really cool- following clues, finding the boxes, collecting stamps, carving stamps, etc. Then I followed a link from there to geocaching.com. Two words: SCREW LETTERBOXING! This sounded awesome. I've always loved geography and maps, like to hike in the woods and our fat, lazy family needed something to do together. It's been a blast! icon_biggrin.gif

I was surfing the web and reading about Letterboxing and thought it sounded really cool- following clues, finding the boxes, collecting stamps, carving stamps, etc. Then I followed a link from there to geocaching.com. Two words: SCREW LETTERBOXING! This sounded awesome. I've always loved geography and maps, like to hike in the woods and our fat, lazy family needed something to do together. It's been a blast! icon_biggrin.gif

Saw it mentioned at a backpackers forum and looked into it...allready had a GPS I used with SAR, but the nearest cache was around 60 miles away...took the wife and found it, then put one out near my favorite hiking spot...

I haven't been the same since........... icon_biggrin.gif

It's not about the mistakes we make, it's about what we learn from them....

Saw it mentioned at a backpackers forum and looked into it...allready had a GPS I used with SAR, but the nearest cache was around 60 miles away...took the wife and found it, then put one out near my favorite hiking spot...

I haven't been the same since........... icon_biggrin.gif

It's not about the mistakes we make, it's about what we learn from them....

Stumble across a yardsale in my neighborhood where some crazy lady had displays about local parks and geocachashes and the sport in general? No, that was my insane idea that wasn't approved to happen - can't promote it that way, because it represents a commercial interest.

Stumble across a link on a commercial website searching for some mapping software? YEAH! that's where I found it. But THAT wasn't a commercial interest, no no.

I can't let the horse die yet. One more breath... just a few more yards...

icon_razz.gif MyBoys&Me

Stumble across a yardsale in my neighborhood where some crazy lady had displays about local parks and geocachashes and the sport in general? No, that was my insane idea that wasn't approved to happen - can't promote it that way, because it represents a commercial interest.

Stumble across a link on a commercial website searching for some mapping software? YEAH! that's where I found it. But THAT wasn't a commercial interest, no no.

I can't let the horse die yet. One more breath... just a few more yards...

icon_razz.gif MyBoys&Me

Being a 20 year career Army combat veteran, land-nav instructor... etc... I knew about LORAN, GPS, and the like. I had always said if I could find a GPSr that did MGRS, and was under $100, I would buy it. My son James and daughter Heidi got me an E-Trex yellow for Christmas.

I have often helped train ROTC cadets in land-nav, using map-compass-protractor... you X-mil types know what I mean. Well, my daughter joined the ROTC, and she needed some extra training. My son had set a reputation that she had to work at to follow. (Son is now a cav scout).

While working with her, I was also using the E-Trex. I discovered something that didn't look right. So I got on the internet, looking for the answer to the problem. In doing so, I discovered the GEOCACHING web page, and also discovered that there was a cache right near where we were training. That was Mundy's Gap, the pass over North Mount Franklin. The rest is history, 4 finds, 2 hidden, some benchmarks found, and away we go.

Y-all have a great Sunday,

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

I was on break at work next to the managers office and I kinda "overheard" one of the managers talking to the other about the vacation she came back from and showing off pictures. She mentioned geocaching and I just made a mental note to look it up later on and see what she was talking about. Only hunted a few so far but my time off is now dog-eared for caching.

My dad, Geo Dee out of TX, visited my family for a short spell during Dec 01. He did a search and found 3 caches very close to my house. He took the kids and I on a "hunt" and found 2 that day and 2 the following day.

We liked it so much he let me borrow his spare GPSr to see if it was something we would get into or just let it fade to a memory.

A month later I bought our own GPSr and sent his back to him. (thanx Dad)

We don't plan on making Geo-history, but we do have a rendezvous with Geo-destiny. (history means it has to end)

All we need now is a few sponsors and I can quit my job, find Geocaches all day/night and get paid for it.

icon_biggrin.gif Just think of it Geo-Olympics icon_smile.gif Geo-masters tour

My dad, Geo Dee out of TX, visited my family for a short spell during Dec 01. He did a search and found 3 caches very close to my house. He took the kids and I on a "hunt" and found 2 that day and 2 the following day.

We liked it so much he let me borrow his spare GPSr to see if it was something we would get into or just let it fade to a memory.

A month later I bought our own GPSr and sent his back to him. (thanx Dad)

We don't plan on making Geo-history, but we do have a rendezvous with Geo-destiny. (history means it has to end)

All we need now is a few sponsors and I can quit my job, find Geocaches all day/night and get paid for it.

icon_biggrin.gif Just think of it Geo-Olympics icon_smile.gif Geo-masters tour

My sister told me about letterboxing, and while reading that website I discovered this geocaching site. We now do both geocaching and letterboxing.

There are more geocaches than letterboxes in our area and that makes Lizardbutt happy. Lizardbutt loves geocaching because of the toys. I am rewarded with interesting hikes and being introduced to new places.

Lizardbutt's Mom

I had bought my Vista back in May of 2001 used it for marking the lat/lon of my wedding proposal to my girlfriend while we were in the mountains near Silverton Colorado. I had seen it and other GPSr's featured in a "Popular Mechanics" issue. All summer it sat on my desk waiting for me to think of something to use it for. Then in late July I read an article in "Enertainment Weekly" in their website reviews section about Geocaching.com the website. I checked it out and have enjoyed the sport ever sense. (LowlyWorm said yes and she became my wife in March 2002).

5399_600.jpg

LowlyWorm Says Gig 'em Aggies