Free FRS Radios (After Rebate of Course)

Dekaner

quote:
Disclaimer

The price is right for me, if I don't like them I can always sell them for the cost of shipping.

FYI, they were delivered this morning!!

The Church says that the Earth is flat, but I know that it is round. For I have seen the shadow on the moon and I have more faith in the Shadow than in the Church.

- Ferdinand Magellan

I got my radios today but neither of them work. I put in batteries but when I press power it flashes for a second then goes dead.

I double checked the batteries and they're good but I can't get either of the two radios I got to work. I'm not out much, but it's still disappointing. I hope they honor the rebate or I'll really be ticked.

****As it turns out it was operator error. To turn the radio on you have to hold the power button down a LONG TIME. The radios do work. It was me that wasn't.****

Support your local volunteer fire department in a meaningful way and not just lip service. It's no fun getting up at 3AM in the freezing cold to go play with a water hose. http://www.fire.cds.com

[This message was edited by cdsjerry on January 14, 2003 at 06:31 PM.]

[This message was edited by cdsjerry on January 14, 2003 at 06:31 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by cdsjerry:

I got my radios today but neither of them work. I put in batteries but when I press power it flashes for a second then goes dead.

Mine did that too. Then I read the instructions. You have to hold the power button down for a couple of seconds before they'll turn on.

warm.gif

quote:

... have to hold the power button down for a couple of seconds before they'll turn on.

I have a pair of Motorolas that I like to toss in my bag, 'just-in-case' and more than once I've heard them beep when they turn on because something heavy is pressing up against them in my bag. Maybe this will help prevent that problem.

(It can be quite a pain having to dig to the bottom of a loaded bag just to turn the darn thing off.)

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Got my rebates in the mail today - sent off three weeks ago. So I ended up with a pair of radios for the $5 shipping charge. Probably not the best ones out there but they do pretty good when the pregnant Mrs Eswau doesn't feel like going in the woods with me and stays in the car (more times than not icon_razz.gif )

Eswau

Originally posted by ScottJ:

I have never understood this "rebate" bit. Why does a great big company need a $10 interest-free loan from little old me?

QUOTE]

oddly enough this tactic is usually to save them money, the most often cause of "total rebate" is that well, it is cheaper then throwing them in the garbage... if they need to dump stock they ship em oput and "give" them away... then they dont have to pay dumping fees.

the other reaso is to get thier name out there, if you are happy with thier little cheapies, you may buy a better one down the road, and you'll think of them... these units probably only cost them about 50 cents in tiwaneese slave labor ot make, so it is fairly inexpensive for them.

Originally posted by ScottJ:

I have never understood this "rebate" bit. Why does a great big company need a $10 interest-free loan from little old me?

QUOTE]

oddly enough this tactic is usually to save them money, the most often cause of "total rebate" is that well, it is cheaper then throwing them in the garbage... if they need to dump stock they ship em oput and "give" them away... then they dont have to pay dumping fees.

the other reaso is to get thier name out there, if you are happy with thier little cheapies, you may buy a better one down the road, and you'll think of them... these units probably only cost them about 50 cents in tiwaneese slave labor ot make, so it is fairly inexpensive for them.