Dan Miller's stats page--question

I like this page, but some of my logs are missing and I can't figure out how to add them. The missing logs page says:

quote:
To update your cache totals, enter in the cache ID number below. Note that this is NOT the GC number, but instead the ID number which is located in the URL.

Can anyone tell me how to find the cache ID number? I am just not getting it.

Thanks!

*Daphne*

ingeo-button2.gif

"Their poverty, combined with their naivete and limited knowledge of the world, left them no choice but to put cheap, uninteresting stuff in their time capsule." -- from an article in the ONION, 14 Oct. 1999

It used to be easier before they started using GUIDs in the URLs. However, if you go to your "My Cache Page", your find list there still uses the ID form of the URL, so you can look at the link URL of the cache and get the ID number from there.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

OK - going a little off the thread here - BUT!!!

The stats pages are not being updated! If you go to the stats home page, Dan Miller states that he no longer has the time to manually update the site and is looking for volunteers to take the site over.

We have been trying since June 7th to update a missing log - and don't get so much as a response to our emails. We have checked out several cachers logs that we know of and many are WAY off base! Even the dates of their last logs are wrong.

So - it seems that we have a stats page that is vitually worthless. What is the point in having a stats page that is not accurate? We are looking for a current page that is up to date. If anyone knows of another page, please let us know.

We're sure that keeping up a site like this involves time and energy that many people don't have the capability of (not us for sure) - but is this an area that the already overworked Groundspeak should investigate?

We feel that a stats page is very beneficial - if it is accurate. And while we applaud the efforts of Dan Miller - it's of no use whatsoever if it's not accurate! While the game is the important thing, not the numbers, there is a competitive spirt here among individuals or groups. And we think that it definately has it's place in the system - as long as the system works.

Geocaching expands your horizons - not your butt!

quote:
Originally posted by cachecrazies:

OK - going a little off the thread here - BUT!!!

The stats pages are not being updated! If you go to the stats home page, Dan Miller states that he no longer has the time to manually update the site and is looking for volunteers to take the site over.

You're slightly over-reacting. Last I checked, the stats were indeed still updating. There are tons of logs in there dated today. If you are missing some, there is a place to manually add them. Dan is NOT manually updating the site, and since he has a system in place for the user to do it themselves, I don't see why he should have to manually do it. Instead of emailing the man, follow the directions right there in huge letters on the front page:

quote:
If you are missing logs or hides, you can use the Log List page to find out what logs my site has for you, and then use the Missing Logs page to add them. That won't work for members only or archived caches.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I've tried for quite a while without success to get 2 of my missing logs added. I've had other missing logs that I could get added but not these 2. The only difference is my 2 missing logs were archived before I noticed they were missing. For some reason Dan's Page won't add those.

Wad, as MOPAR pointed out, the stats page doesn't work for archived and members-only caches. Just something to keep in mind if you think your stats might be off by a couple. (By the way, the stats for Rhode Island appear to be both timely and accurate, given the aforementioned limitations. I just wish that the stats page would also include Bonus Caches. icon_smile.gif)

Rhode Island Geocaching

quote:
You're slightly over-reacting. Last I checked, the stats were indeed still updating. There are tons of logs in there dated today. If you are missing some, there is a place to manually add them. Dan is NOT manually updating the site, and since he has a system in place for the user to do it themselves, I don't see why he should have to manually do it. Instead of emailing the man, follow the directions right there in huge letters on the front page:

Sorry MOPAR - I probably didn't do a very good job at explaining my situation. I have updated missing logs several times with absolutely no problem. Yes, the directions are very easy to follow and have always updated in the past. But for some reason, on this particular log, it simply will not update the I.D. #. The cache is not archived or members only and only after trying nearly every day to enter this log did I resort to trying to email Dan Miller. More out of curiousity as to why this particular log was being so contrary! I'm still curious but it's really not worth any more aggravation.

Geocaching expands your horizons - not your butt!

quote:
But for some reason, on this particular log, it simply will not update the I.D. #. The cache is not archived or members only and only after trying nearly every day to enter this log did I resort to trying to email Dan Miller. More out of curiousity as to why this particular log was being so contrary!

Yeah, I have two recent finds that weren't in my stats. I tried to add them twice, but for some reason it doesn't work. They aren't archived, or MOC's. They are virtual tho, but that shouldn't make a difference. Not worth losing any sleep over though.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barryw

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I was able to figure out the ID number and twice have tried to manually add my logs, but nothing happened. It said that it was updating each cache, but it didn't show up on my log list. They were just regular caches, nothing special. Some caches I did on the same day as the ones that are missing DID show up, though. How weird is that?

*Daphne*

ingeo-button2.gif

"Their poverty, combined with their naivete and limited knowledge of the world, left them no choice but to put cheap, uninteresting stuff in their time capsule." -- from an article in the ONION, 14 Oct. 1999

Sometimes, bad HTML in the cache description might be what is throwing off the stat page scraper program. That would be my only explaination for why it isn't working.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

It might be helpful if you provide the ID you're trying to update.

I've noticed that sometimes Dan's site won't update finds if you have other logs on the page or your find is off the main cache page (i.e. more than six logs ago). You might try resubmitting a log with today's date, updating the stats site, and then editing your log to set the date back in the past.

We have had problems with our stats being inaccurate on this page also. I appreciate the original effort to do this page, but it appears he no longer is interested in keeping it up to date. We have gone through all the motions to get our's updated, to no avail. In our opinion, this page is just about useless. Just our humble opinion. B & E

I'm sure you have all noticed this... but if you are pulling up your profile in your state's statistics page, say NC, you will only see the stats for the caches you've logged in NC. Although caches in other states will show up if you pull up your individual user profile. I noticed this due to the fact that I've logged caches in NC,TN,GA & SC. But on the NC state statistic page... it only shows the caches I've logged in NC. Guess that makes sense, huh?

ScubaDewd

Like most states, here in Miss. we have an informal Stats competition going among our Top 25 (first page) folks...it's all part of the fun. Here's how I make sure I keep my state stats as accurate as possible.

Whenever I log ANY caches, I always do the following (well, when Dan's Stats site is up, anyway):

- Open up a browser window for GC.COM

- Open up a browser window for Dan's Stats site, for Miss.

- Open up another browser window for Dan's Stats site, but for the Missing Logs page

Whenever I log any cache, I log it on GC.COM and make sure I do a "Visit this cache page" upon entering it - this "registers" the find.

I then immediately go to the Missing Logs page of Dan's site and enter the 5-digit cache number.

When that page finally responds that it's gathering the stats for that page, I flip to the Miss. stats page and do a "Refresh".

I've found that my stats are just about 100% reliable using this method. Takes just an extra minute or two for each cache to enter.

First thing you need to do, though, is spend an hour or two (depending on how many cache finds you have) and get your stats in sync between GC.COM and Dan's Stats Site, using the Log List feature. Unfortunately there's no easy way to do this (that I know of).

Hope this is helpful...

-Dave R. in Biloxi

Stat page web host is dead. I sent an e-mail out and here is the response:

Unfortunately, the site has been shut down and the company has gone out of

business. All of our operations will cease completely on 8/15/2003.

Thanks for the interest,

Mike Haboustak

InsideCorner.com, LLC