NEW POLL/GARMIN OR MAGELLAN?

I own a Magellan but use a Garmin for work. Both are easy to use. I think the Magellan is easier when it comes down to getting WPTS and other stuff on them. My boss swears by the Garmins, I just laugh and say "Then why did you hire me to work the dang thing." Usally don't get a response.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

I don't suppose I'm "loyal" to either one. I use a Magellan SporTrak Pro. The reason I use Magellan is that I can buy Magellan products wholesale. icon_biggrin.gif So the $$ figure was what made the decision for me. So far, I love the little Maggie Pro.

--------------

Changing some folks mind, is like trying to herd cats.

55883_200.gif

I guess I'm not a loyal user, I just got a Garmin because I found one with a really good rebate offer. But if I could get my hands on one of those Meridian Color's that they advertise at the side of this site... I would love to see one in person to see if they're as good as Magellan's website says they are.

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

-DavidMac; (formerly Someonenameddave)

quote:
Originally posted by claypigeon58:

Ever heard of Lowrance?

Yep. I believe it's a seaway that connects the Atlantic Ocean with Lake Ontario....

But it seems to be a city in Kansas, too....

I think he was a famous Brit in the Middle East, near to Arabia....

But I have heard a rumor that it might be a GPSr brand. icon_smile.gif

don

I live in Taiwan area. I visited Garmin company in Taipei 2 years ago for uploading new software to my eTrex Legend T. Here is also his factory.

I heard Garmin is a US. brand, Taiwan boss, Taiwan made. But my Garmin gps receiver protection coat is made in Mainland China.

People say that there are no stores selling Magellan gps here.

Life short, Hunt more.

Once again I see the Magellan,Garmin debate. My wife and I both use Garmin. I've never used a Magellan, and wouldn't. Not because I particually think Garmin is better, but for the simple fact. Magellan is made in France, and as all of us know by now. France did not back the U.S.A in the war in Iraq. For that reason. I will never own a Magellan. icon_biggrin.gif Just my feelings on tis subject.

Blackfoot

Life is a gift, unwrap it and use it to the fullest!

quote:
Originally posted by Blackfoot:

... Magellan is made in France, and as all of us know by now. France did not back the U.S.A in the war in Iraq. For that reason. I will never own a Magellan. icon_biggrin.gif Just my feelings on tis subject.

Blackfoot

PA-Leeze. Magellan isn't made in France any more than Garmin is made in the USA.

The parent company is now Thales, but that doesn't keep NASA from using Ashtech GPS on research aircraft. Ashtech is owned by Magellan.

don

My vote was that I had always owned a Magellan. There is a caveat to that: I bought the GPS last month strictly to use for geocaching, to see how I would like the sport. At that time, the best "bang for the buck" was with the Magellan, not only the base price but also because I could get an SD card and increase the memory. Had the best deal been on a Garmin, I would own one of them now. Until I have owned (or at least used) both for a while, I wouldn't venture to say which one is better IMHO. From everything I've read in the topics since finding this site, both will serve the purpose, and it appears to be pretty much individual preference.

Catcher24

"You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton

I didn't mean to start this poll to begin a flame war between Garmin and Magellan. Nor did I "forget" about the other brands, this poll simply doesn't include them. I am sure owners of those other brands will still lead productive lives if they are left out of this ONE poll. I was just wondering who has what, and if anyone has tried both, which one they currently own. That's all.

I own a Garmin simply because it was affordable. It has always worked well and I have no complaints. While I'm personally not opposed to using Magellan, a cacher-friend of mine refuses to use them because they are made in France. icon_rolleyes.gif I don't know if that's true or not, but I got a kick out of it.

Just looking at the websites, Magellan's corporate headquarters and engineering are located in California and their manufacturing facilities are in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The jobs posted on their site are all for positions in the USA, in San Dimas.

As for Garmin, they may or may not be manufactured here, I can't find that info. But in their jobs section under manufacturing:

Desirable Qualifications

2+ years manufacturing experience

Speak, read and write foreign languages (Taiwanese, Spanish, Chinese, et. al)

So, I'm not sure if anyone makes their product in France or not, but if you are boycotting a product and think you are doing your American duty, tell that to the guy in Tulsa who is trying to scrape a living.

quote:
Originally posted by Cloak_N_Dagger:

I don't suppose I'm "loyal" to either one. I use a Magellan SporTrak Pro. The reason I use Magellan is that I can buy Magellan products wholesale. icon_biggrin.gif So the $$ figure was what made the decision for me. So far, I love the little Maggie Pro.

--------------

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/55883_200.gif

Wholesale, What about buying them on a Pro-form, there even cheaper.

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

Just looking at the websites, Magellan's corporate headquarters and engineering are located in California and their manufacturing facilities are in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The jobs posted on their site are all for positions in the USA, in San Dimas.

As for Garmin, they may or may not be manufactured here, I can't find that info. But in their jobs section under manufacturing:

Desirable Qualifications

2+ years manufacturing experience

Speak, read and write foreign languages (Taiwanese, Spanish, Chinese, et. al)

So, I'm not sure if anyone makes their product in France or not, but if you are boycotting a product and think you are doing your American duty, tell that to the guy in Tulsa who is trying to scrape a living.

The box for my Meridian Says "Made in China"

They may manufacture some itimes in the US. But not the Consumer GPS products. They where a US company but where bought by Thales about a year or so ago.

By the way. Garmin is going to be copying some of the Magellan features next year. Like the SD memory card idea.. I bought a Magellan because of features Garmin does not offer. Like street names on the TOPO software, Terrain Projection, Expandable memory ...

quote:
Originally posted by Johnnyvegas:

You may be right ... But ... the Pro Forms I'm familiar with usually link you to a retailer that is selling at an advertised "wholesaler" or discount price.

True Wholesale is the dealer price. If the dealers are selling them cheaper than they can buy them, more power to them.

--------------

55883_200.gif

quote:

quote:

You may be right ... But ... the Pro Forms I'm familiar with usually link you to a retailer that is selling at an advertised "wholesaler" or discount price.

True Wholesale is the dealer price. If the dealers are selling them cheaper than they can buy them, more power to them.

--------------

quote:

quote:

quote:

--------------

Pro form price are offered to employees of GPS retailers by the manufacuters They are less than wholesale, with some you get free software also. This type of pro form is very common in the retail sports industry.

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

quote:
Originally posted by claypigeon58:

Ever heard of Lowrance?

Obviously some haven't but then some haven't heard about a lot of things.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

ANd so we hear from Kerry, He has never found a cache, though he has been signed up for quite some time.

Profile for Kerry (Kerry.)

Member since March, 2002

Email this user

Caches Found/Hidden: 0/0

Travel Bugs Owned/Found: 0/0

Benchmarks Found: 0

Member since March, 2002 <----Hmmmmmmm.

quote:
Or what about Brunton, Navman, Northstar, or Delorme?

I saw a recent ad for a Cobra GPS. They made it sound pretty good. 18 channels instead of 12. But it was an ad, so of course it sounded good. Never saw an ad that tried to make their product look bad.

As far as the Garmin vs. Magellan debate...

Magellin users are so low they play handball against the curb. They are lower than whale doots on the bottom of the Marianas Trench. They are the disgusting slime I scrape off the bottom of my shoe after a swamp hike. They are Budweiser swilling, toothless, wife-beating, kindergarten dropouts.

Garmin users on the other hand are the "creme de la creme". The best mankind has to offer. If Washington, Lincoln, Churchill, Salk, Edison, Guttenberg, DaVinci, Aristotle, Archimedes and Mozart were alive today, they'd use Garmin.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:

ANd so we hear from Kerry, He has never found a cache, though he has been signed up for quite some time.

Member since March, 2002

Email this user

Trying this stunt again are we, AGAIN, short memory haven't you Johnny icon_biggrin.gif.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:

quote:

Member since March, 2002

Email this user

Trying this stunt again are we, AGAIN, short memory haven't you Johnny icon_biggrin.gif.

Cheers, Kerry.

But you never go!

quote:

Member since March, 2002

Email this user

quote:

Cheers, Kerry.

quote:

But you never go!

Well, since Kerry doesn't seem to want to stoop to johnny's level, I will. icon_smile.gif

Anyone who has been around here long then 4 months knows that Kerry had some problems with another major forum upgrade back in Feb, 2002. Ultimately his workaround was to just create a new login name for posting, so he could continue to post under the name he always did AND log caches under the same (different) name he always did.

Too bad the original forums were lost with this last upgrade, or you could see that Kerry has been contributing his exceptional knowledge of GPS since almost the birth of geocaching

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Garmin. Mostly because I liked the Autorouting which was only in the V. Now that I've seen Garmin vs. Magellan, I'd not get a Magellan. There are other brands out there though and if the software was priced reasonable (as in the same or less as upgrading Garmin software when it updates) I'd have no problem switching to something else when the time comes and the something else is better.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

We first owned an Eagle by Lowrance & now we own the Magellan/Meridian/Platinum. Looked at the Garmin & thought-I don't think so...No one carried the better units--just the plain versions. So after looking at the Meridian we were sold. So far this unit is everything we wanted & works for us.

This poll didn't give an option for other units..there are other brands out there. frog.gif

Like the Magellan much better for caching. it works a whole lot better under adverse condx.

Still partial to the Garmin street pilot for its big, bright screen when used with an outside antenna permanently mounted on the Explorer. Not much good without the external antenna though.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

I'm in the Garmin camp right now. I own a eTrex Vista and had the Summit before that. I chose them for their ruggidness and their barometric altimeter. I do a lot of hikes and use them not just for caching.

I would be willing to try some of the higher end Magellans and compare them with the etrexes. So down the road, who knows...I may buy one of those color meridians. I do like the idea of being able to add more memory.

quote:
Originally posted by Blackfoot:

Once again I see the Magellan,Garmin debate. My wife and I both use Garmin. I've never used a Magellan, and wouldn't. Not because I particually think Garmin is better, but for the simple fact. Magellan is made in France, and as all of us know by now. France did not back the U.S.A in the war in Iraq. For that reason. I will never own a Magellan. icon_biggrin.gif Just my feelings on tis subject.

Magellan GPS units are made in China just like a lot of electronics these days. Their Manufacturing & Logistics for the US is right here in Tulsa, OK. Magellan Systems Corporation consumer GPS company was founded in California in 1986. They were bought by Thales in 2001. Regardless of the owner and merger it is an American founded company that provides American jobs right here in my city.

They have been overly supportive of Geocaching and have donated several thousand dollars (retail price) worth of equipment to events here. Garmin gave us a few T-shirts once. So I choose to keep spending my money with them. Even though my first unit was a Garmin.

And unlike my friends Vista I can actully use my Sportrak Pro under tree-cover. icon_biggrin.gif

Both make good products and it's kind of like someone already said, like comparing Coke to Pepsi. Of course

-beatnik-