Buried caches, a quick thought

I know that buried caches are taboo, but I suddenly recalled that I've seen several of them at beaches, often under boardwalks, often with some sort of marker to identify them, though not always. I even made one myself one time.

I'm curious if burying in this manner is viewed negatively or even considered a violation of that rule. From a technical standpoint it obviously is, but I don't recall seeing too many negative logs on those caches, and I actually enjoyed the hunt, made it interesting. Not that I'm suggesting we all go out & hide one, but it is different. Wondering what the masses (and approvers) think.

Also since most of the descriptions state that its buried, I'm wondering how they got approved, assuming that they are indeed not suitable.

william

alt.gif

I think what they mean is that you can't use tools to dig up the ground and bury a cache. I've had no problem having caches approved that were placed in an existing hole and buried under leaves and duff.

A cache buried in the sand on a beach is similar.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 07, 2003 at 07:30 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Burying a cache on the beach damages the sand as much as a hydrocache damages the water

Ya know I am REALLY tossed as to whether I should be taking that seriously, or as sarasm!!! <<knock knock>> AHA! The batteries are dead in the sarcasm detector!

<<grumpnag*****pissmoan, stupid cheap 99 cent store batteries...>>

william

alt.gif

I like the idea. Even though I just dug up some - that were a complete mess, and then quickly archived, I still think it would be fun. But the GeoGods say no...

But I guess the main concern is damage to the environment and I'd imagine it could give the sport a bad name if people start burying stuff all over the place.

Dig on! - Just kidding. icon_wink.gif

F--- the establishment!

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Burying a cache on the beach damages the sand as much as a hydrocache damages the water

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

I did a buried cache in Monterey a few days ago. It was really fun and I loaded it with cool crap. I haven't logged it yet as I'm wayyy behind logging finds. Maybe it's grandfathered. There was no impact at all from my efforts when I left. It looked just like the rest of the beach.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:
I did a buried cache in Monterey a few days ago. It was really fun and I loaded it with cool crap. I haven't logged it yet as I'm wayyy behind logging finds. Maybe it's grandfathered. There was no impact at all from my efforts when I left. It looked just like the rest of the beach.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think burying a cache in the sand on a beach is outlawed. I'm sure one of the admins will weigh in soon with the official word, but I just checked the guidelines and it said:

"Caches that are buried - If a shovel/trowel/pointy object is used to dig - in order to hide or find a cache - it's not appropriate."

So this means to me that a cache buried in the sand on a beach is fine. Now trying to keep it away from the ubiquitous metal detector crowd is a horse in a different garage.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

I've found one that was, like BrianSnat stated, in a hole and covered up with leaves and the sort. It was described as being in an unmarked grave in the soft loam. It wasn't really an unmarked grave, at least I hope not, ewwwww! It was just going along with the theme of the cache. My son and I searched in this dense wooded area for 30 minutes or so until I finally found it. It was so dense and dark that once inside the GPS was useless. You had to keep coming out, getting the gps reading again and try to go in after it like that. I was looking for a pile of "loam", but there was no pile. It was just an indention in the ground and was set inside it and covered up.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

[This message was edited by Woodsters Outdoors on August 08, 2003 at 05:56 AM.]

I think beaches are fine. A distinction needs to be made between beaches and dunes, though. Sand dunes *can* be very fragile.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams