Magic #100?

After reviewing multiple threads in this forum, I seem to keep running across the same magic number of 100 finds. Am I missing something here? Is there something magical about the 100th find? Northern Japan presently has 8 caches and I have hidden 5 of them. Is there a magic number for number of hides as well?

Just a new guy trying to learn the basics and lingo.

I CACHE; THEREFORE, I AM

The 100 number is more for the finds. As far as I know, no one counts the number of hides. The biggest reason probably being if the number of hides were considered the same as hides, people would be hiding a lot of very lame caches just to get their numbers up.

In this game/sport we tend to judge people on the quality of the caches they hide, not the number they have hidden.

Welcome to Geocaching!

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

1 dollar = 100 pennies

100 is a nice round number.

100%

ONE CENTURY = 100 years = experience

100 laps

100 rabbits

100 most...this and that...in the last 100 years...

______________________________________________ Kanto

It is entirely up to you if a thing leads to something useful or not.

i celebrated a bit when i got to 100. next time i celebrate will be 250. i also try to have my benchmarks and caches keep pace with each other, so it's well-rounded.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Originally posted by Wanderingson and Compass Rose:

After reviewing multiple threads in this forum, I seem to keep running across the same magic number of 100 finds. Am I missing something here?

Aren't we all missing something? icon_wink.gif

quote:

Is there something magical about the 100th find?

Is there a magic number for number of hides as well?

Perhaps what is magical, is personal. Some say it is the number, some say it is the experience, for most I guess it must be both, or something else. Your first 100% on a test has a sort of magic does it not? What about your first 100 hours logged in as a pilot? Any other first 100s out there? What about sailing out for 100 days without seeing any land? Or living 100 days in the "wilderness" with only the necessities...or arctic or tropical deserts? Road bikers average 100km or miles a day on their trips...some intense people go for an average of 200 per day!

It is like your 20th birthday or 30th or 40th...they are all milestones. The magic is the memory associated with that milestone. This doesn't only happen in Geocaching, it happens almost everywhere. For some though, it is just a number like all other numbers.

Happy Caching!

______________________________________________ Kanto

It is entirely up to you if a thing leads to something useful or not.

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

You guys are missing the question here...he is asking about hides...not finds.

El Diablo

i don't think that's true. he specifically asks about hides and THEN "hides as well. (italics mine)

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.