Geocache Junk

Yesterday I managed to hit 17 caches. The one thing I noted was the large amount of junk in the caches. Used erasers, pieces of toys, broken pens or pencils, dozens of burger joint toys, food (Like I'm going to eat it) and in one, a tampon icon_eek.gif.(BTW - It was still in the package)

When I go out, I try to put something of some value in the cache. Target sales Hot Wheels at .92 each, small flashlights for .98 or a deck of cards for 1.25. I keep a bag stocked with items I buy, it'll run maybe $10-$15 to stock it up and that'll last for several caches.

I also try to put more in than I take out. I've seen caches that began with a large amount of contents end up with a few pennies, nickels, stickers, burger toys, etc.

I know that the best part of caching is the search, but, are some folks getting a little cheap in what they excahnge? icon_confused.gif

This topic has been talked about quite a bit in these forums. I've started adding a note to my cache pages. 'Remember kids, trade up, trade even or don't trade. If the problem continues I might even delete a log if it's something blatantly obvious like... Took: The Holy Grail

Left: Toe nail clippings

The cache owner makes the rules for their caches. That’s my new rule.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

We're always suspicious when we read a log that says "We took this and that, left something, can't remember what."

From day one, I have carried a pencil in my pocket, and immediately after making the find and trade, write down (on the cache page) what time we were there, what we T/L, and any other thoughts. That way we don't forget or get caches confused. We feel like logging what you T/L online makes you think again, and keeps you honest.

I've recently hit our local Dollar Store & I carry the stuff with me when I cache (~$10 worth, +/-). I agree that we should try to at least equal the value of what we trade out. My problem is that I stink at guessing the value of what I take...

When you guys put new items in caches, do you remove them from the packaging, or leave it so people will see it's new? Sometimes the packaging get to be a bit much top stick in a packed 30 cal ammo can...?

---------------------

It wasn't me.

I don't know what to tell ya man. We've all seen it and all complained about it. There isn't really much we can do. The honorable ones will trade up and such as we should while the others will grab up our loot and leave the moldy mayonaise jar that's been rotting in their garage for the last 3 months.

Like the others I run around with lots of loot on me. When I find a cache severely lacking, I will pull out the crap and leave nicer stuff.

My friends and family all chipped in to buy me dollar store trinkets for my birthday. Now I don't think I will ever run out of trading goods.

"Sometimes you are a very large fool Perrin Aybara. Quite often in fact." Annoura Sedai (Book Nine of The WoT)

quote:
Originally posted by dasein:

We're always suspicious when we read a log that says "We took this and that, left something, can't remember what."

From day one, I have carried a pencil in my pocket, and immediately after making the find and trade, write down (on the cache page) what time we were there, what we T/L, and any other thoughts. That way we don't forget or get caches confused. We feel like logging what you T/L online makes you think again, and keeps you honest.

Totally agree

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

Sometimes I put something in my cache that is on the expensive side (over $10). I really don't expect someone to trade even for these. Not many geocachers bring along trade items that are worth that much.

But for the rest of the stuff, it's nice if they trade somewhat even. I've seen logs like "took Mini Mag Lite, left VT state quarter", or you get the people who think leaving a lot of junk is an even trade for something nice "Took Swiss army knife, left an acorn, a marble, a toy soldier (usually dirty and chewn by the family dog), a paper clip and an expired Burger King coupon".

It's not hard to find inexpensive, but useful items to leave in a cache. A favorite of mine are plastic emergency ponchos. They were on sale for 99 cents at WalMart so I picked up two dozen. They are often one of the first items traded out, so I guess others think they are useful as well. The supermarket near me was selling Hot Wheels cars for 2 fer a buck fifty. So I picked up a dozen. There are hundreds of things like these out there, so there is no need to use a broken action figure from the bottom of your kids toy chest as a trade item.

I do disagree emphatically with the idea of deleting legit "Found It" logs if the cache owner doesn't approve of the person's trade. I don't think it's appropriate to delete legit Found It logs for any reason (even if you don't like the person!). If the cache owner feels its really important express his displeasure, a polite and carefully worded e-mail is the better way to go. But be prepared for a defensive and angry response.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I do disagree emphatically with the idea of deleting legit "Found It" logs if the cache owner doesn't approve of the person's trade. I don't think it's appropriate to delete legit Found It logs for any reason (_even if you don't like the person!_). If the cache owner feels its really important express his displeasure, a polite and carefully worded e-mail is the better way to go. But be prepared for a defensive and angry response.

I agree totally, deleting logs is a hard lined response when you may not even know the situation (financially or otherwise) that the cacher was in at the time and they may have intended well.

As for trading...

I agree and always try to trade up but sometimes trade even or not at all if the cache seems depleted of anything I'd want.

At the same time when I cache if I see a cache that is lacking anything beyond the mcdonalds toys or potential junk then I always keep a spare bucket of items ( up to 15.00 ) in my pack that I unload into the cache and take nothing myself. I usually note in my log entry that the cache was looking sparse so I topped it up for the next visitors.

After all caching is suppose to be fun and to me it really doesn't add to the fun that much if I find something neat in the cache container...only the find itself.

to that end I'm one that often logs: "TN Left something but can't remember what..." because I don't put any emphasis on it in my mind. Thats also when I remember to log online (I've logged a cache online as late as 3 months after the cache....I have 12 currently that I need to log which were done in the last 30 days or so.)

Keith

Bear & Ducky

There's nothing you can do about it. Just be thankful for those who are honest and trade at least evenly. The sad thing is that someone could take something out of it and not log it and no one would know who did it.

As far as the burger joint toys. We like them as long as they are new and still in their packaging. We have a 2 yr old who loves them and they aren't cheap by any means. A kids meal, runs you nearly $3. Unless you have ties to get them free somewhere, you gotta buy the meal to get one. And then even if you looked at some of their values, they would be worth as much as a hot wheels car if you bought it in hte store and sometimes even more. The used and broken ones that people pull out from under their seats, are the ones we don't care for. Also many of them make good travel bugs themselves.

Brian

www.woodsters.com

"TOUGH NUTS" - for those who don't like it...

I started a thread about this exact thing 2 days ago. I went to a cache yesterday that had 4 old golfballs, 2 obviously used finger puppets, 4 pencils, a couple of old matchbox cars, the usual crap. Now granted it was and olderish cache that had started out with a bunch of handmade India items, and obviously I knew they would be gone.....but did these folks really think what they left was equal to what they took?

I have decided to start reading the logs to see what people T/L and am beginning to see a trend in my area. I have also decided to TNLN or leave something when it is looking a little bare.

Also why not try ww.orientaltradingcompany.com. Great ideas for a good price.

What I've seen around the Bakersfield / Kern County area is that caches located in the city usually are full of junk, while the ones located in the hills / mountains are better. My trip through the Mojave / Ridgecrest area was dissappointing since most of these were junk caches. I figured that maybe it was parents taking thier kids/friends to a cache near thier homes for fun and totaling raiding them of anything of value. But I couldn't explain the desert caches, so much for my thoery. icon_rolleyes.gif

I think I'll start doing what others here are doing by "Renewing" a caches goodie value if it's in sad shape.

quote:
Originally posted by Perrin: "My friends and family all chipped in to buy me dollar store trinkets for my birthday."

Hmmm....my family never seems to know what to get me for my b-day/Christmas gifts. I'll have to let them know! icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mikrochipz:

I think I'll start doing what others here are doing by "Renewing" a caches goodie value if it's in sad shape.

Kudos to you on that. Make a note of it each time you do it on the logs & online. Hopefully you'll inspire some others in your area to do the same!

I've started trading less and less, and simply leaving fun items to be found. It's more fun for me. Welcome to the world of "responsible" caching!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Most of the caches in our area are in pretty good shape. This area is a vacation destination spot (Monterey, CA), so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

Early on, I realized I wasn't going to be able to remember what I took or left, so I carry a pen and notebook to document my trades.

We have a couple of cachers in our area that do a fare amount of restocking of caches (although they've been kind of quiet for a month or two now). I think we always trade up. Sometimes if there's something especially cool that Jr T wants I'll insist on leaving a couple of items in exchange. Although on some of the signature items, I have to admit that trading up can be hard for some of those items icon_biggrin.gif

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

The worst used stuff I saw was used play dough! Yuk.. But what is junk to some, is treasure to others. My boys are to old for most of the McD toys so I save them up. Some people collect them.

A dollar store near me bought out a bunch of Zainy Brainy inventory. I left a 30 dollar game boy adaptor ( which I bought new for 1.) in a beach cache...only to read that hurricane that came in, blew the cache and contents away!

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kaz:

The worst used stuff I saw was used play dough! Yuk.. But what is junk to some, is treasure to others.

OK, this has me worried: I buy bags and bags of little pots of Play-doh, put two different colors in a plastic bag, and leave one or two sets in every cache I go to (where they will fit). I figured that if I'm 27 and would enjoy getting Play-doh, there would be others, too. But is that not the case? Is Play-doh a crap trinket to leave behind?

mystats.php?userid=Texas-Gal&vopt=user&txtdata=Hook+Em+Horns!&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=ff6600&imbadge=y&badgetyp=texas1.jpg

the-cache.com Texas-Gal's Geocaching Site

[This message was edited by Texas-Gal on October 23, 2003 at 02:20 PM.]

I don't mind seeing play-dough, but I've never taken any because there was always something in those caches that was cooler.

The tiny pots of play dough (size of an old 50 cent piece or so) are the one's I'm talking about. I also see them all over the place...

I try to hit every cache within 50 miles of my house, and I see a lot of the same types of items. It's a bit dissapointing when there's some useless junk and a hot wheels car in EVERY cache...

Variety is always a good thing.

--Tree

(o< -!!

//  Never laugh at live

V_/_  penguins.

quote:
are some folks getting a little cheap in what they excahnge?

Here is a recent log in one of my caches:

Left quarter

Took $5 (needed gas to get home)

I can't think of anything to do. icon_mad.gif

bad_boy_a.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

Rather than TNLN when the caches it looking a bit bare, I just leava a few nice things and take nothing. That way at least the next finder will at least have an option.

quote:
Originally posted by Natty Dread:

I

. I have also decided to TNLN or leave something when it is looking a little bare.

Also why not try ww.orientaltradingcompany.com. Great ideas for a good price.

quote:
Originally posted by dasein:

I do the same as well. I keep all my printed cache pages in a 3 ring binder with my "to do" and my "logged" caches. I also mark at top of my printed pages the distance from my home coordinates and file in increasing distance from my home. Helps in grouping caches by area too.

I don't geocache for the treasure, I geocache for the adventure. If there's a TB, I'll usually take it and leave one in place or put some other lil treasure. I don't usually take anything else and always leave my calling card that I staple to the log page.

I am happy if I find 1 sig item or "cool thing" out of 10 cache's. If the hunt was good, but there isn't anything worth a darn in there, I still consider myself even. Once again, my kids fight over the Mctoys or balls and seems like anything else that glows. Which I consider disappointing. Your trash, my kids treasure. I worry about this and we are very conscience about trying to trade evenly or leaving more and leaving a sig item, which we hope people like. Your not always going to find something "cool", enjoy the find and consider it icing if you get something "cool".

I bet only 5% of cachers read the forum or the rules, so most of them are out there with no idea of what others expect from them.

it's 5 o'clock somewhere!!