satelite photos?

Search for Digital Orthophoto Quadrangles or Digital Orthophoto Quarter Quadrangles (DOQQ). Try the geography department of your local university. Look for GIS or Geographic Information Systems data. Microsoft use to have a set of images on their corporate website. Don't know if they still do.

These are aerial photos optically corrected to remove distortion.

Some fairly nice images, B&W, at http://geoengine.nima.mil/

just zoom into the USA (or other country, it might work), click on the Nima coverages tab, turn on the DOI 10m, update the map, and hopefully your area will be marked as covered. If they are, zoom in until you are where you wish to see. You can also enter some coordinates. When you are ready, click the view tab, set the size you want, and take a look. the picture has coordinates all the way around it. I save the views, print them, and take them with me into the Bitterroots when exploring.

Note: the pics are older, but still useful.

The "other" Terraserver at http://www.terraserver.com has SPIN-2 satellite imagery for some areas, but it's rather old. The images for my area - which is on the edge of a pass, so I'm lucky there are any images at all - are so old that the neighborhood I live in is not on them at all. That means they're at least ten years old (they don't supply an actual date, or indeed any useful metadata.) Also, they seem to be unavailable below an 8m/pixel resolution (they claim a 2m/pixel resolution, but apparently you have to pay for that privilege) whereas the NAPP/DOQQ aerial photos from MSN Terraserver are good to 1m/pixel and my area was last photographed in 1998.

warm.gif