Is this a find?

Jamie Z

During a hunt today, I visited a nearby park. I'd been to the park once before a long time ago. Specifically, the night I got my GPS--to search for a cache there. I didn't find it.

Since that day, the cache has been archived because it seems to have gone missing.

Well, I found it. I was in the park today, about to search for a different cache in the park. I stopped by the office and on my way out, I passed by the maintenance shed. Sitting on a shelf in the shed was the container for the archived cache. I went back into the office and asked about it.

The man in the office told me that a ranger had found it a while ago, and brought it in, not knowing what it was. He told me I could put it back if I wanted... but not knowing where the original location was, I took it home instead. I plan to try to contact the owners for possible replacement.

The cache has been archived since it appeared to be missing. I found the cache in the park it was hidden in, but not where it was supposed to be.

Here is the cache in question.

So.. is this a find?

Jamie

Heck, yes! It's a find. And to find it in a location other than the one where it was posted is even more impressive. Of course, you DO have to sign the log before it's official. I have once question though, too; that pic you're using now - isn't that the banjo kid from 'Deliverance'?

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

Hi Jamie,

Even though you found the cache I wouldn't log it as a 'find'. Truth is that its more than that. I'd call this a 'cache rescue'. I've only seen two other cache rescues in the last year of geocaching so its obviously worth much more than a find.

--- yrium ---

yrium,

Not a find, but a cache rescue. I'll see if I can find an icon for that... icon_razz.gif

Pater... indeed, that is the banjo kid from Deliverance... now I'll have to come up with something new, dangit.

Oh.. and I haven't yet signed the log, but I could at any moment, since the cache is here. When I got the container, I just opened it up to make sure everything was alright. I saw that it was, so I closed it and put it in the back of my friends pickup. I was riding my bicycle, so I couldn't carry it.

So... if I sign the log, that makes it a find... hmmm. I haven't heard from the owner yet.

Jamie

yrium,

Not a find, but a cache rescue. I'll see if I can find an icon for that... icon_razz.gif

Pater... indeed, that is the banjo kid from Deliverance... now I'll have to come up with something new, dangit.

Oh.. and I haven't yet signed the log, but I could at any moment, since the cache is here. When I got the container, I just opened it up to make sure everything was alright. I saw that it was, so I closed it and put it in the back of my friends pickup. I was riding my bicycle, so I couldn't carry it.

So... if I sign the log, that makes it a find... hmmm. I haven't heard from the owner yet.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

I found it. I was in the park today, about to search for a different cache in the park. I stopped by the office and on my way out, I passed by the maintenance shed. Sitting on a shelf in the shed was the container for the archived cache. I went back into the office and asked about it.

The man in the office told I could put it back if I wanted... but not knowing where the original location was, I took it home instead. [...] So.. is this a find?

I'd say sign the logbook, and log it as a find. icon_smile.gif

As for not knowing where the original location is, I'd suggest taking the cache back to the park, and hiding it at N 35° 08.040 W 089° 37.640, as the cache page states. The clue says something about checking in at the station. Perhaps that'll help you figure out where it needs to go.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

I found it. I was in the park today, about to search for a different cache in the park. I stopped by the office and on my way out, I passed by the maintenance shed. Sitting on a shelf in the shed was the container for the archived cache. I went back into the office and asked about it.

The man in the office told I could put it back if I wanted... but not knowing where the original location was, I took it home instead. [...] So.. is this a find?

I'd say sign the logbook, and log it as a find. icon_smile.gif

As for not knowing where the original location is, I'd suggest taking the cache back to the park, and hiding it at N 35° 08.040 W 089° 37.640, as the cache page states. The clue says something about checking in at the station. Perhaps that'll help you figure out where it needs to go.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by cache magnet:

Did you hear from the owner yet.

No, not yet.

Actually I've emailed the owner twice about this cache previously during the past two months, asking if they had checked on it recently to verify it was still there. The first email elicited a response that said something like "We'll check on it and let you know." I never heard back, even after I emailed them a second time.

The owner's profile shows recent activity... but I guess the email address is outdated or something.

The email I sent the other day told them that I found it and that I would return the container to them if they wanted... I suggested they might replace it in its hiding spot and unarchive the cache.

Maybe if I don't hear from 'em, I'll petition Jeremy to adopt this one, and then get together with another cacher who had already found it so I can rehide it where it used to be.

Jamie

I was leaning towards no, because you stated that it was not in the original location. There was a previous thread that suggested that it would not be a find because you did not find the 'hide' location.

Reading the cache page, however, I'd say a strong argument could be made for logging as a find. The coordinates were off, but using the hint, a person would check with the ranger station. You did so and they gave you the cache.

Thats a find!

Jamie,

I found the old hiding spot -- not much doubt about it, really -- a couple of weeks ago and based on the previous 6 months of no-finds, I recommended that it be archived.

I would say that finding the container gives you the right to log a find on 3 Monkeys #2 -- if you sign a log & replace the container. icon_wink.gif

I've walked past that shed several times in the past month without spotting the container.

-'This river don?t go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.'-

Jamie,

I found the old hiding spot -- not much doubt about it, really -- a couple of weeks ago and based on the previous 6 months of no-finds, I recommended that it be archived.

I would say that finding the container gives you the right to log a find on 3 Monkeys #2 -- if you sign a log & replace the container. icon_wink.gif

I've walked past that shed several times in the past month without spotting the container.

-'This river don?t go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.'-

quote:
Originally posted by Team 5-oh!:

It may need a new hiding spot and doing so may make it available for folks to log again.

Actually the guy in the office told me I could put it back. Apparently once they figured out what it was, they were ok with it. If I adopted it and replaced it, I'd probably let them know it was back.

I asked specifically if it was alright to have a cache in the park (since there are now two more) but he didn't really answer the question... he was explaining to me about how he has a friend that has a GPS.

Jamie

Here you go, BB.

I made a reference to it at work the other day and everyone looked at me with these blank stares. Thought it was a sure sign I'm getting old... icon_frown.gif

We often watch movies at work (tough job, I know) and I said I'd try to find a copy to bring in. It's a classic! Hope it's still available.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

I made a reference to it at work the other day and everyone looked at me with these blank stares. Thought it was a sure sign I'm getting old... icon_frown.gif

We often watch movies at work (tough job, I know) and I said I'd try to find a copy to bring in. It's a classic! Hope it's still available.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

Ok, so now that JaimieZ is my new geocaching hero....

It occurs to me...

What if maybe he actually works at this park and was 'the' employee who found the cache and then later discovered the world of geocaching.... Blah Blah Blah

I seem to have a pathological obsession with killing my heros.

At our Geocacher gathering this weekend, we actually had some of the folks who had found 3 Monkeys #2 before it went missing. They confirmed it's previous hiding spot.

I'll be glad to se it replaced & unarchived so I can hunt it...

- "This river don?t go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn." -

quote:
Originally posted by crr003icon_frown.gifand also maybe a warning against geocaching in the Appalacians!)

"Squeal like a pig"

Well I live close to where Deliverance was filmed and have relatives close to where the book was set. We have plenty of caches in these woods for you to find, just be careful of the people you meet in the woods. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by crr003:(and also maybe a warning against geocaching in the Appalacians!)

"Squeal like a pig"

Well I live close to where Deliverance was filmed and have relatives close to where the book was set. We have plenty of caches in these woods for you to find, just be careful of the people you meet in the woods. icon_biggrin.gif