What's the farthest you will travel for a cache?

I have travelled over a hundred miles in a single day for the sole purpose of caching...but I answered to the end of the earth, bcuz that was most appropriate! icon_biggrin.gif

A couple weeks ago we travelled 3 hrs from home to find 3 caches....and on a seperate occasion, we travelled about 450+ miles to find 7.

I think this is an illness! icon_eek.gif

Well, there are currently 81 non-virtual caches within a 20 mile radius of my location, more than half of which I haven't found. So right now, having to travel a great distance isn't an issue. However, over the Easter holiday I plan to travel about 50 miles each way for the purpose of doing some cache hunting out of state.

PS_sig.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team Shibby:

... how far will you travel for the purpose of geocaching? icon_smile.gif

Ummm ... are these crow miles or road miles you're asking about, and do you mean one-way or round-trip for the whole day? Makes a big difference.

The most I've traveled in one day, total road miles was 220. The farthest cache distance, one way as the crow flies, was 66.5 miles. Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

I think the day record for me is 320 (by road) to get 2 caches (about 90 miles apart) - and we only decided to do the second one because I had the waypoint in the GPS - no paper, no clue and just a hunch where it was relative to the (not very dense) road network there.

6279_200.jpg

For the right adventure, mileage isnt a factor. King Pellinore and I are toying with a road trip to NC for a cache...no other reason...jsut for a cache. Thats about 500 miles from here. Might have to go after this one in a few months when the calendar clears up a bit.

Is this where one gets help for their affliction?

You need a few more answers somewhere between 100 miles and infinity. The way your poll reads, it hints that anything over 100 miles is for the real wierd folks. Several of the locals think nothing of driving 100 miles one way for a day trip ... not that many caches in the corn fields of central Illinois.

Last Saturday we drove 265 miles to pick up three caches that involved several miles of hiking at each. One multi-cache ... easy, but visited some neat locations along the way. And, after dark, stopped at two virtual caches on the way home ... one was interesting and one made us laugh. Spent over 12 hours visiting parts of Illinois that we had never seen before ... and we've lived in Illinois four different times for a total of about 16 years. We love to travel and see new things, and this gives us an excuse.

Earlier this month we flew to Arizona (1600 miles) and spent the week talking our kids into going geocaching with us. We lived there for over six years ... but, still we saw parts of Arizona this trip that we hadn't seen before.

We're not quite as crazy as BruceS, but then who is? Just a few more for 500 Bruce ... go.

Jeepster

- Road kill on the information highway ...

It depends on how you look at it.

Everywhere I travel is "for the purpose of geocaching"! The fact that I happen to be able to work in some business along the way just makes it very convenient and affordable. icon_wink.gif

So far, 49 found within the US; distances vary from 8 to 900+ mi. (straight line.)

Outside the US:

Hong Kong = 8100+ mi. (1 found, 1 not found)

Simatai, China = 6900+ mi. (1 not found)

Bangkok = 9000 mi. (1 hidden)

Taipei = 7800+ mi. (1 hidden, 1 found)

Amsterdam = 4500+ mi. (1 found, 1 not found)

I hope to add 1 or more "finds" in Sydney later this week. Mileage will be 9000+ mi.

Main thing (for me) is not the distance traveled, it's the neat, often off-the-beaten-path, places I wouldn't have visited if not for this sport. icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

Unfortunatley my current cheesy job will not let me trot the globe. But I have been able to snag caches in Massachucets and California (about 2500 miles from home) in addition to my native state of NJ. One of the greatest things about this is no matter where you go there is likely to be a cache you can grab either at your destination or on the way! Anywhere I go I will look for caches there! As far as a trip specifically to grab a cache, there are precious few that I think are good enough to warrant the travel. (There are 89 within 20 miles of my zip, and 666 within 100 miles so it will be a while before I have to go beyond that to find. I suspect (and hope) that there are areas that are not quite so paved with caches as around here.) As Macro noted, there are two in NC however that look *quite* promising and they are 500 miles away from here...

King Pellinore

quote:
Originally posted by Team Shibby:

I've read about people finding caches while out of town, but how far will you travel (road miles one way) for the purpose of geocaching? icon_smile.gif

450 miles one way? Actually, that was not 100% for caching. I vacation there every year anyway.

The furthest I've gone for caching alone is northern VA and DC about 200-250 mi away. Man, if you think the NY tri-state area is paved with caches, check that out. Also went to RI this past weekend and that's about 200 mi but in the other direction.

quote:
Originally posted by King Pellinore:

There are 89 within 20 miles of my zip, and 666 within 100 miles so it will be a while before I have to go beyond that to find.

King Pellinore

I just looked ... in this area 89 caches are within 97 miles of my zip. Oh, to have that many within just 20 miles ...

And, yes I know I should feel lucky, cause I'm sure there are places where one has to go 100 miles to reach jsut a few. And, I do ... but, still I can dream of geocacher heaven ... please.

Jeepster

quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster:

I just looked ... in this area 89 caches are within 97 miles of my zip. Oh, to have that many within just 20 miles ...

And, yes I know I should feel lucky, cause I'm sure there are places where one has to go 100 miles to reach jsut a few. And, I do ... but, still I can dream of geocacher heaven ... please.

Jeepster

But Jeepster, there is *NOWHERE* in that 20 miles to drive a jeep that isn't paved smooth. Give and take, you know?

King Pellinore

Ok guys, I guess the next poll should be, how many tanks of gas do you use in a weekend of geocaching? ;-)

I have two cars. A honda when it's just two of us caching and and Xterra, 4WD, when more join. Looking forward to emptying the tanks on both more often.

icon_biggrin.gif

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs, Kar & Na

teamshibbylogo.jpg

The furthest cache find for me was when I was vactioning in Germany. 944 miles.

The next closest cache that I havn't found yet is over 65 miles away. But because I live on an island and the cache is on the main land I'd have to take the ferry and that adds about 50 or 60 miles to the drive plus an overnight stay on the main land.

Oh, and the price of gas here is pushing the $5/gal mark. icon_frown.gif If I do go and do the cache I'm not taking my gas hog American car (23 gal/mile). I made a long trip once with a few friends and discovered that if I would have rented a car with better gas mileage that I would have actually saved money.

- Lone Rangers

Shucks, I voted for the “ends of the earth” because the next nearest choice of 100 miles just doesn’t cover it. Last Sunday I did 65 miles round trip on logging roads just for one cache. Not counting the miles to start the adventure. Besides, a logging road mile should be worth at least 5 on pavement.

The farthest I've gone (so far) was about 65 miles one way for a grouping of 3 caches. If all goes as I hope this summer, I could be travelling from Jacksonville, FL to Buffalo and then on to Corning, NY for some caching. icon_biggrin.gif Don't know how far that is, but I wan't to go! icon_smile.gif

Well half of our team is in europe right now on vacation and geocaching. They found the first one in Denmark and missed on their second one in Sweeden. They have also turned their cousins onto the sport in Denmark. We do the majority of the caches within 100 miles of home, but are planning some overnighters. We're lucky that this area has alot of caches to find.

LOST IN SPACE.....

We went round trip in the San Francisco area this weekend, about 150 miles round trip. Had a wonderful time.

Have just recently purchased our GPS. Since my job takes me around the world, I guess I can't say I travel just to geocache but it sure is fun!

On April 1 through 13, I will travel to Hong Kong, Guilin and Beijing. I looked up caches in China (excluding Hong Kong)and found 4-5 sites only. Most are virtual - I will find a couple and create a couple. I saw someone else's post / mile estimate ~8,000 miles...WOW! What a blast this is!

quote:
Originally posted by james f weisbeck kd7mxi terra utah:

20 miles 0n a dirt road

unlimeted on a paved road

1 mile when hiking

icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

If I had set limits, that's probably what they'd be... with one problem. I like driving dirt roads--my car doesn't. I love my Stratus, but it doesn't like anything that looks like dirt--no clearance and I found a way to get it stuck in the mud recently when pulling over to let an ambulance pass.

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Rangers:

The next closest cache that I havn't found yet is over 65 miles away. But because I live on an island and the cache is on the main land I'd have to take the ferry and that adds about 50 or 60 miles to the drive plus an overnight stay on the main land.

- Lone Rangers

icon_wink.gif YIPS... That's committed Geo-Hunter on a quest! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by HeroJay:

We went round trip in the San Francisco area this weekend, about 150 miles round trip. Had a wonderful time.

Have just recently purchased our GPS. Since my job takes me around the world, I guess I can't say I travel just to geocache but it sure is fun!

On April 1 through 13, I will travel to Hong Kong, Guilin and Beijing. I looked up caches in China (excluding Hong Kong)and found 4-5 sites only. Most are virtual - I will find a couple and create a couple. I saw someone else's post / mile estimate ~8,000 miles...WOW! What a blast this is!

Even though it's a virtual, check out Lantau in Hong Kong. It is well worth the trip and is not far from the airport.

I love this game and I like useing my gps unit for outings. Wife and I go cacheing all over and we really like hiking, so far we have found some really nice views from land that's close to home but if it wasn't for geocaching we would still be looking at the TV set.

How far would I drive for the pupose of geocaching?

I wouldn't.

I guess in my case you have the stimulus and the response reversed... I don't drive so I can geocache! I don't hike so I can geocache either! I love roadtrips... and hiking... and exploring new locations... and exercising Jenni (my 11 year old Golden Retriever)... and would do all of them even if there wasn't an ammo box or plastic tub sitting in the woods.

I don't drive and hike and explore for the purpose of geocaching... I geocache for the purpose of driving and hiking and exploring!

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines!

The early bird gets the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!

quote:
I don't hike so I can geocache either! I love roadtrips... and hiking... and exploring new locations... and would do all of them even if there wasn't an ammo box or plastic tub sitting in the woods.!

exactly! Geocaching is the icing on the cake! I drove more than 250 miles round trip yesterday, exploring new and old areas and geocached all along the way.

Geocaching gives forcus to my trips sometimes - keeps me from wandering aimlessly in the desert when I don't know where I want to go.

RedShoes.jpg

Spent the weekend at St.Louis area gecaching, and seeing sights! Took us six hours to drive, slept in the back of truck. Went thru Bush plant! Found 11 caches! Five and half hours back (must have drove a little faster), and now we are home, tired, but happy. Still havent loged any yet, will do them this evening. St. Louis area is a great geocaching area! Caches everywhere! Zig

Beter to Zig then Zag!