Elizabeth Smart Found...(?)

Was she 'found'? Was she held captive? Did she run away? Obviously, the Salt Lake and Utah police shot blanks during this one. And this was a biggie. So, did she escape to join a cult? Was she talked into it? Was she pregnant, and afraid of her parents' reprisal? Oh, the possibilities!

We evolve. The data is in the strata.

quote:
Originally posted by Justin Sane:

Was she 'found'? Was she held captive? Did she run away? Obviously, the Salt Lake and Utah police shot blanks during this one. And this was a biggie. So, did she escape to join a cult? Was she talked into it? Was she pregnant, and afraid of her parents' reprisal? Oh, the possibilities!

A man broke into her bedroom in the middle of the night, and abducted her. We've known this for months. So no, she didn't run away/join a cult/etc. Now, whether or the Stockholm Syndrome came into effect is another matter.

But to quote the Washington Post: "Many details of the break in the case were still vague tonight, but police said they believe that the teenager had been held the entire time against her will."

Admittedly, the TV news did its typical pathetic job of covering the story - more interested in getting shots of the crying parents than reporting actual news. But a quick look at http://news.google.com/ will tell you a lot more.

3608_2800.gif

She was found not more than a few miles from my house. In good shape, although under some strange circumstances. She was not in a car at the time as reported by the national media, but simply walking along the street accompanied by her abductors.

No, not pregnant. No, not a cult member.

Any more details can be found on the local Salt Lake City News websites -- ksl.com, or kutv.com, or ktvx.com. IMO the ksl is the most objective, kutv contains details, ktvx is the most enquireresque.

On the news conference last night, I was a bit put off at the officials that kept saying "We can't comment on that right now pending investigation." Now I understand that statement, but then why would they even ask for questions in the first place at a new conference and then not answer any of them. Why not simply give a statement and not ask for any questions...

After watching the news programs last night, I found it odd that they never said "Elizabeth is very happy to be home." They just said "she's with her parents right now." They focused a lot on the reactions of how her family felt having her home, but I kept waiting for them to say how happy Elizabeth is to be home. Typically, you always hear them talk about the reactions during the reunion with the parents. Maybe I had it on the wrong channel. Did anyone else hear them mention anything about how she's feeling (other than how she looks)?

Maybe they'll fill us in today. icon_confused.gif