Fallen trees across roads?

I'm not sure how common it is, but I figured asking in the General forum would get the most diverse responses icon_smile.gif

Out here in Oregon, I've run into a few unmaintainedand/or lesser-maintained roads which have had fallen trees blocking them. Some of them are small enough that I can drive over, but others are too large to drive over and are wedged in place by other still-standing trees. It seems to be standard maint practice to cut the blocking part of the tree into several pieces which are then moved to the side of the road.

Anybody have tips on the sort of equipment I should carry to deal with these effectivly? Something fairly inexpensive would be nice (say $100 or less), but I'm curious what your ideal equipment would be as well. Saftey tips would also be appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

How big are the trees? How much effort are you willing to put into it?

I've been on a trail maintenance team once. We used a bow saw, a hack saw and an ax. A chain saw might have been easier, but it was a 2 mile hike in and I just didn't feel like packing it in and out.

As far as safety, use common sense. Don't stand on the lower side of the hill when sawing a tree in half. (Think gravity). Bring along a first aid kit just in case. If you're chopping wood, use eye protection. Boots and long pants help, and be careful where you swing the ax. Sometimes it bounces off and may hit your leg (or somebody else's).

Sometimes it's nice to have the road blocked by a tree. It prevents idiots from 4 wheeling in areas they shouldn't.

quote:
Sometimes it's nice to have the road blocked by a tree. It prevents idiots from 4 wheeling in areas they shouldn't.

The specific roads I am referring to are in extremely dense areas of the deschutes national forest. Unless equiped with a tree-crushing monstrosity with spinning blades and flamethrowers, neither myself nor anyone else is going to be four-wheeling off the road in that area.

So far as size, I havn't seen anything larger than 1.5 to 2 feet in width.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I do carry a chain saw with me in the spring when I go up some of our local forest roads. They are roads, supposed to be open just in case the tree huggers get excited again.

I'll slice them and drag them off to the side usually. But I've been known to throw a few rounds into the back of the truck, just depends on how my firewood supply is doing.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

Run it over!?!?! The poor tree!. Give it mouth-to-mouth and prop it back up. Really, how would you like it if you were having a heart attack, and you were sprawled out across the sidewalk, and someone came along and cut out your offending portion? icon_wink.gif

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

When driving in the woods I always carry a chainsaw along with other basic tools for emergencies. You may be a few miles up a road when a storm hits and knocks down trees across the road, blocking your way home. I also carry a cable so I can just make two cuts and drag a whole section off the road with the truck. I think that in national forest you are supposed to carry a shovel, bucket, and axe with you as well, in case of a fire.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Really, how would you like it if you were having a heart attack, and you were sprawled out across the sidewalk, and someone came along and cut out your offending portion? icon_wink.gif

Several of the contributions to this thread have brought the very early Pink Floyd song "Careful with that axe, Eugene" back to mind for the first time in many years. icon_wink.gif