Credit Card Solicitation

bigredmed

Today, I received a credit card solicitation addressed to my Geocaching ID and my wife's geocaching ID. We use these combined like this only on this site.

Someone has gotten my email address and these nicknames from this site and used them for this spam.

What type of privacy policy is in place here? Is GC selling our contact info?

It's Hockey time in Omaha!

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

Today, I received a credit card solicitation addressed to my Geocaching ID and my wife's geocaching ID. We use these combined like this only on this site.

Someone has gotten my email address and these nicknames from this site and used them for this spam.

What type of privacy policy is in place here? Is GC selling our contact info?

It's Hockey time in Omaha!

According to the site Privacy Statement GC.com will not sell you ID info. Statement link is also at the bottom of all pages.

I once was lost, but now am found;

Was blind, but now I see.

We despise solicitors, spammers, etc, and would never give your email out to anyone. Check out our privacy policy.

As an aside, I googled your email address rather quickly in a Yahoo Groups mailing list. When you stick your email address out there you are bound to get nailed by a spammer, especially in popular sites like Yahoo Groups.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Let me check my spamometer on the address I use here...

Okay, as of 11:07pm CDT on October 8, 2003, the amount of spam I've received via my geocaching-registered address is... *drumroll*... hmm... *more drumroll*... er... *very tired sounding drumroll*... well... *sound of drummer passing out*...

Zero.

Sounds like a decent privacy job by Jeremy, et al.

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System