Coordinate Distance Calculator

Guest BigJim

Guest Ron Streeter

My Streets & Trips 2001 will do that. Plug in the first set of coordinates. Plug in the second. Tell it got get directions. It generates the hiway map from one point to the next and a set of driving directions. It shows the mileage between the two points.

This is for the united states and it doesn't matter if the points are in the wilderness. It will draw a nice line through as many hiways and streets as it can, then extend the line into the wilderness.

This program cost me $7 net after a $20 rebate from Costco.

I use it hooked up to my gps and laptop while in the car and it keeps me aprised of where I am at every moment.

Ron

Guest Exocet

I'd also like to see a PalmOS program that converts from NAD27 to WGS84 and vice-versa. I've been contacting people to see if it can be done, but the responses have been sporadic and inconclusive so far.

For free, mapblast (in "Advanced" mode) will do the same thing that "Streets & Trips 2001" will do. Feed it two sets of coordinates and it generates driving directions.

Guest Markwell

I actually built one on Access and again in Excel using the forumlas on the Aviator Formulary - eek - that was the worst two weeks of my life! But it got the synapse firing.

I have an MS Excel add-in that I picked up in researching the above that calculates bearing from point A to point B, but I'm not sure it does distance. Now that I've got the online one listed above, I don't think I'll even pursue that - but it is nice having the calculations in a database. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Markwell

I actually built one on Access and again in Excel using the forumlas on the Aviator Formulary - eek - that was the worst two weeks of my life! But it got the synapse firing.

I have an MS Excel add-in that I picked up in researching the above that calculates bearing from point A to point B, but I'm not sure it does distance. Now that I've got the online one listed above, I don't think I'll even pursue that - but it is nice having the calculations in a database. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest bunkerdave
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

My Streets & Trips 2001 will do that. Plug in the first set of coordinates. Plug in the second. Tell it got get directions. It generates the hiway map from one point to the next and a set of driving directions. It shows the mileage between the two points.

I use this same software, or did, until I got the TopoUSA 3.0 from Delorme. What I do is run the trip on TopoUSA, and then use S&T to confirm that I am using the best route. If the two agree, I know I am ready. TopoUSA has the obviouis advantage of rendering everything in 3D, as well as elevation profiles and all that. S&T has the advantage of having a nice interface, and lots of roads. It also presents a nice, clean map of the route. The only thing I don't like, and this is probably just my own incompetency, is that I can't seem to get it to accept WGS-84 format, which means I have to do the conversion for every waypoint I put in. Minor, but still a hassle when you want to do a dozen or so caches. Good problem to have. icon_smile.gif

Guest bunkerdave
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

I use this same software, or did, until I got the TopoUSA 3.0 from Delorme. What I do is run the trip on TopoUSA, and then use S&T to confirm that I am using the best route. If the two agree, I know I am ready. TopoUSA has the obviouis advantage of rendering everything in 3D, as well as elevation profiles and all that. S&T has the advantage of having a nice interface, and lots of roads. It also presents a nice, clean map of the route. The only thing I don't like, and this is probably just my own incompetency, is that I can't seem to get it to accept WGS-84 format, which means I have to do the conversion for every waypoint I put in. Minor, but still a hassle when you want to do a dozen or so caches. Good problem to have. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by topografix:

EasyGPS does this.

Hey, guess what? Dan is right. Works real easy.

[This message has been edited by Olar (edited 18 July 2001).]