Virtual using unique code to log

A few days ago I set up a virtual called "Directly to Jail" that uses a dedicated web page for visit verification. Once someone visits the cache, they then go to the web page, answer the question, and paste the resulting unique code into the log here at gc.com

Anyone know of other virtuals set up like this? I brainstormed it the best I could without having an example to go by...

yeah, you could require a password be obtained at the VC cache site, the use that password in a word protected document. i saw a virtual cache in yellowstone done this way and i did about 5 just yesterday this way. also, you could set up a yahoo account with the secret word as the user id, then set up a vacation auto response to whoever find the secret password and tell them the word to put in their log.

Creativity Within The Bounds Of Conformity

Except that not everyone has Word.

I used a JPG file and Winzip for one of my caches like that. In doing so, I used Winzip's password.

However, I seem to remember something in the forums a couple months ago where Jeremy indicated that he wasn't going to allow Virtual Caches that used code words and passwords for verifications. There had to be an actual e-mail or photograph.

Checking...

Ah - it's on the requirements page:

quote:
There should be one or more questions about an item at a location, something seen at that location, etc., that only the visitor to that physical location will be able to answer. The questions should be difficult enough that it cannot be answered through library or web research. The use of a "certificate of achievement" or similar item is not a substitute for the find verification requirement.

And here's the thread from last March where it was brought to my attention.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Good one, Bret. I wouldn't have thought to use Javascript for that.

I agree 100% about a question needing to be posed to the visitor. My method does not bypass that at all since the question must still be answered correctly.

In retrospect, I'm not sure a code is necessary at all. Once the question is answered correctly, I'll receive an email from the server that contains the visitor's gc.com user name. As long as I receive that I know that they answered correctly. Hmmm.

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Except that not everyone has Word.

I used a JPG file and Winzip for one of my caches like that. In doing so, I used Winzip's password.

However, I seem to remember something in the forums a couple months ago where Jeremy indicated that he wasn't going to allow Virtual Caches that used code words and passwords for verifications. There had to be an actual e-mail or photograph.

not everyone has a camera either and not everyone has winzip. in fact not everyone has a pc. you know if you don't have the required items to log the cache, than that is just toooo freaking bad isn't it.

yeah, rule out password verification, there you go again, taking the fun out of caching. your going to make so many rules that your website will suck. i've about had it with the stupid idiotic way the rules are randomly created and enforced on someones whimsical moods. yeah, i am looking at other caching forums, this one is starting to suck.

quote:
Originally posted by georapper:

yeah, rule out password verification, there you go again, taking the fun out of caching. your going to make so many rules that your website will suck. i've about had it with the stupid idiotic way the rules are randomly created and enforced on someones whimsical moods. yeah, i am looking at other caching forums, this one is starting to suck.

Interesting sig line you have, considering you are complaining about conforming to the rules of this website, most of which have been in place since you signed up.

Don't let the door hit you in the @ss on the way out.

"(Mopar is) good to have around and kick. Like an ugly puppy" - Jeremy

quote:

not everyone has a camera either and not everyone has winzip. in fact not everyone has a pc. you know if you don't have the required items to log the cache, than that is just toooo freaking bad isn't it.

But I would want as many people as possible to log my cache. If they can get to that location and have someone at a computer, they pretty much can log the cache. Winzip is shareware and can be downloaded in a trial method. Word costs money.

quote:
Interesting. Did you go back and READ the thread I linked. I said this is where it was brought to my attention. I did NOT say that I agree with the rule. In fact, I don't.

However, I will abide with the rule because it's Jeremy's sandbox, and I'm just a visitor. As I said in that other thread: I'm just glad mine is grandfathered in.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:

There are lots of caches I will never do because I don't have the 'tools' for them - lack of proximity, high terrain rating, etc - but should I quit because of that? I can't do the math ones either without a lot of help, guess I better just hang it up now. Lighten up, it's great people are going beyond the 'here's the numbers, go find the box' cache & having fun here. IMHO.

cachewidow

"Thank you for calling Mom's Travel Service. Guilt Trips our specialty. Where would you like to go today?"

There was Frobro-2 that was so small, that there was no room for a log book. Just a slip of rolled up paper with a question on it. You had to research the history of the Frobros and email the answer.

I really liked this cache, and I wish it were still active. But with a container so small, it was gonna get lost sooner or later. It gave me a chance to find out about other Cachers when I was first starting out.

I've got some small cache containers that I'd like to use someday. They would never accomidate a log book of any size. I guess one of these days I'll have to find a way to use them... maybe as stages of a multi.