Reflecting after my 100th "Geocache Found"

jollybgood

I know the numbers aren't supposed to mean anything but yesterday I logged my 100th cache. It was a pretty kewl milestone for me. Yep. Even if friends and family can't understand my love of geocaching, I'm pretty proud of myself.

As a matter of personal preference I opted not to do any locationless caches. (Nothing against them or the folks who enjoy them, mind you. I simply enjoy those caches where you to go to a specific spot and log something or gather clues. For me the journey and the experience is everything.).

Today, to celebrate the occasion, I went out and replaced the very first cache I ever placed. (Hoard of Many Things -- now known as Hoard of Many Things the Rebirth. 22 people had logged my first cache before it turned up missing about five months ago. I was going to replace it, but since I was closing in on 100 caches I thought it might be fun to put EVERY item I've collected since my first cache into one MEGA CACHE.

In the new cache container went an item from virtually every cache I've logged over the past year. (Minus of course items for those caches which had no items to take and those items I gave to my daughter or placed in other caches). Boy is it packed (and much of it pretty kewl stuff if I say so myself).

As I climbed back up the same long, steep hill I climbed last year the when I hid the original cache, I realized I'm a different man. Last year I huffed and puffed and had to stop midway up the hill to catch my breath. Today I was up the hill and halfway to my car when it dawned on me I had barely broken a sweat.

Since I logged my first cache I've dropped 18 pounds, seen a LOT of beautiful enchanting places, met a LOT of friendly people, been chased by two dogs, questioned by two cops, harrassed by a deer who (for reasons I STILL don't understand) followed me for twenty minutes and repeatedly charged me, I've been stuck in a swamp up to my hips in muck and mire, torn two pairs of pants climbing fences, ruined three pair of white tennis shoes, lost my wallet, locked myself out of my van at the end of an 8 mile long logging road, been bit by every bug known to man, been ravaged by nettles, poison ivy, poison oak, sumac, thistles and barbwire...

-sigh- I could go on and on (for example I could list and detail all the new scars I have).

Guess I'm saying is this -- the first 100 caches were a BLAST! It's the not knowing which has been half the fun of this new sport. And I can hardly wait to see what happens during the NEXT 100 cache hunts.

Geocaching a fad? Yeah, right.

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

Since I logged my first cache I've dropped 18 pounds, seen a LOT of beautiful enchanting places, met a LOT of friendly people, been chased by two dogs, questioned by two cops, harrassed by a deer who (for reasons I STILL don't understand) followed me for twenty minutes and repeatedly charged me, I've been stuck in a swamp up to my hips in muck and mire, torn two pairs of pants climbing fences, ruined three pair of white tennis shoes, lost my wallet, locked myself out of my van at the end of an 8 mile long logging road, been bit by every bug known to man, been ravaged by nettles, poison ivy, poison oak, sumac, thistles and barbwire...

-sigh- I could go on and on (for example I could list and detail all the new scars I have).

It's not the number of finds... It's the number of stories you can tell.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

Congratulations! In the grand scheme of things the numbers may not mean anything, but on a personal level the numbers mean everything...it's our personal yardstick of progress. The interesting stories and general health improvement are the icing on the numbers cake. I'm only 2 months in the game and find it to be the greatest motivation for exercise I've ever tried. Rather than losing pounds you can rack up another find.

quote:
Originally posted by NightHiker:

Congratulations! In the grand scheme of things the numbers may not mean anything, but on a personal level the numbers mean everything...it's our personal yardstick of progress. The interesting stories and general health improvement are the icing on the numbers cake. I'm only 2 months in the game and find it to be the greatest motivation for exercise I've ever tried. Rather than losing pounds you can rack up another find.

I love watching my find count go up. Why else would I got out at 10:00 pm two nights ago for one more find.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

My most memorable cache experiences have definately been when I have had unexpected company. I too, have been trailed closely by deer (no charging, though). I have been pulled over by a sheriff's deputy while hunting for a round barn. (He offered to go with me to show me the way.) Unfortunately, not all my encounters have been so helpful. A particularly unfriendly racoon and a renegade bull come to mind. For this reason I have started taking my camera on all cache hunts. See the Peffer Park Cache and H is for Highpoint cache for the photos. I enjoy both locationless and traditional caches, and have had unexpected adventures with both. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Your post really demonstrates the best part about geocaching!

97 as of two days ago. Got a new set of scratches (bushwacking in shorts again), three cases of poison oak, found ticks climbing on me - I'm having fun! Or so I keep telling myself.

I logged the one locationless cache as a note, as I agree on not counting them either.

Just did my first joint cache hide, that is also member only and is goecaching themed.

But I do feel better physically (I did not get as winded as jaxxom two days ago), and am looking foward to the next ingenious cache find.

nscaler

"Anyone not here, raise your hand!".

Jolly:

Congrats on your 100th cache. You beat us to that milestone by a day or two, but amazingly enough, we are not out of breath. No, we were not racing you. icon_biggrin.gif

I read this post from you last night and have been trying to think of something witty or clever or thought provoking, something more than what you have said. My wife and I were reflecting on this thought as we drove home and you have hit it all. We have good stories, we feel good (in all ways), and we look forward to many more cache finds.

Bear & Ting

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

Jolly:

Congrats on your 100th cache. You beat us to that milestone by a day or two, but amazingly enough, we are not out of breath. No, we were not racing you. icon_biggrin.gif

I read this post from you last night and have been trying to think of something witty or clever or thought provoking, something more than what you have said. My wife and I were reflecting on this thought as we drove home and you have hit it all. We have good stories, we feel good (in all ways), and we look forward to many more cache finds.

Bear & Ting

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

I have recently also broke 100 and had the same experience as you by being able to RUN up to my first cache location with far less than effort. It felt great!

The no's are a personal goal, there is certainly no prize at the end.I had planned to quit at 100 but I'm still going. Don't know why.

I always find it interesting how some make a big deal on it not being a competition and not about numbers, but if this is so why should they care?

What this sport (activity) is to one is their own business. That's one of the great things about Geocaching, it is what you want it to be.

Congratulations on your 100th

Congrats, Jolly.

On the number found: I don't think they should be something that we compare to each other to determine a winner, but certainly a landmark to enjoy individually. It's like setting a goal for oneself then trying to meet or exceed that goal.

And incidentally - thanks. It was your KODT write up that got me into this in the first place.

quote:

I know the numbers aren't supposed to mean anything but yesterday I logged my 100th cache. It was a pretty kewl milestone for me. Yep. Even if friends and family can't understand my love of geocaching, I'm pretty proud of myself.

Congrats! And thanks for sharing your expierence. I'm pretty new to this (13 finds as of today) and it is awesome to read about the expierences of someone who's been doing this a while. Makes me feel great about my newest hobby choice icon_smile.gif

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

quote:

Congrats! And thanks for sharing your expierence. I'm pretty new to this (13 finds as of today) and it is awesome to read about the expierences of someone who's been doing this a while. Makes me feel great about my newest hobby choice icon_smile.gif

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-