Universal "I've taken/moved the cache" sign.

Twice in the past month I've had occasion to move a cache from it's location.

The first time I found the container, had no idea where it was to start and moved the plundered remains to another cache by the same owner.

This weekend, a cache I visited was bulldozed and if I put it back in it's now flattened spot it was plunder bait. Same fate. It was moved to another cache by the same people so they could pick it up.

At one sight it would have been easy to make a TeePee of sticks. At the other there were no sticks.

So the question is. Do we leave a teepee of sticks when possible and a ??? when there are no sticks?

What would the ??? be? And is the TeePee universal? I've seen that on a few moving caches now.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

What would the ??? be? And is the TeePee universal? I've seen that on a few moving caches now.

There was a moving cache that went threw a couple months ago, and on the page it told people that if they move they move the cache they should build a little teepee out of sticks at its old location. I never found or hunted it, but from the logs it seems to work ok, but as logscaler points out, that may not be easily possiable in all locations...

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

Maybe we could have a website for geocaches, so that people can leave a note for a cache to let others know that it is gone... Hmmm.... Sounds like a lot of work, anybody want to volunteer to put such a site together?

No way, who would set up a whole site just to know where a box of toys is or isn't? icon_wink.gificon_eek.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

Maybe we could have a website for geocaches, so that people can leave a note for a cache to let others know that it is gone... Hmmm.... Sounds like a lot of work, anybody want to volunteer to put such a site together?

What a great idea! I should of thought of posting a note to such a site as that. Now if only we could solve the problem for cachers who don't go around with that site strapped to their A$sses while geocaching. Those people might find the nothing there is to find. Alas it appears a low tech solution is in order.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

No way, who would set up a whole site just to know where a box of toys is or isn't?

And I guess after a while people would be ready to pay - let's say 30$ - for such a site, even though it can be used for free icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Thinking about it, nah, that'll never work...

Gert

Short cuts make long delays.

With the growing number of traveling caches, I would think that a PD logo could be adapted to serve as a marker for a moved cache. If we made it in scalable graphics format, we could make them big enough to have a space for the new coordinates, and also small enough that you could leave one behind after the cache was gone.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

With the growing number of traveling caches, I would think that a PD logo could be adapted to serve as a marker for a moved cache.

This is why I advocate placing a new cache along with a traveling cache. That way, should someone claim the traveling cache b4 you seek it, there is something there for you to find.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

I usually carry a roll of surveyor's flagging tape in my bag, but I actually use a special brand that's made to be biodegradable. I found it at the local sporting goods store, probably any place that has a good selection of hunting stuff would have it...

Twice in the past month I've had occasion to move a cache from it's location.<BR><BR>The first time I found the container, had no idea where it was to start and moved the plundered remains to another cache by the same owner.<BR><BR>This weekend, a cache I visited was bulldozed and if I put it back in it's now flattened spot it was plunder bait. Same fate. It was moved to another cache by the same people so they could pick it up.<BR><BR>At one sight it would have been easy to make a TeePee of sticks. At the other there were no sticks.<BR><BR>So the question is. Do we leave a teepee of sticks when possible and a ??? when there are no sticks?<BR><BR>What would the ??? be? And is the TeePee universal? I've seen that on a few moving caches now.

I've only had to move someone's cache once. I hid it in a fairly obvious place (to a geocacher) took a reading, and emailed the location to the cache owner. The original location was under water, so a pile of sticks or rocks would be meaningless. Besides, the odds that someone would go after that cache in the time period before I logged it (mentioning the problem) is pretty small.

This is why I advocate placing a new cache along with a traveling cache. That way, should someone claim the traveling cache b4 you seek it, there is something there for you to find.

I've never hunted a traveling cache....but I always wondered about this problem.

The other day I maint. a cache of mine, and moved it 50' after changing to an ammo box....and worried all day about anyone coming by before the changes were logged.

A lot of this seems to assume that the majority of cachers pay attention to the forums or the little nuances of the game. Ask the average cacher what the finger on the chin means and I bet you'll get a blank stare.

I like K9's surveyors tape idea. It's already a universal symbol for "something happened here." People would definitely get the point.

Either that or write "Croatan" on a post near the cache site. How's that for esoteric? ;)

Bret

I think it would be neat to have a universal sign.  However I think this may turn into (Or already is) a hand on chin thread.

So are you suggesting we sit there in the woods in this position until the cache owner comes along looking for their missing/moved cache? ;)

RK- you almost got me on this BUMP. I was reading along and thought hey-Mr. Snazz is back in the forums. They i looked at the dates. I like the idea of the teepee/rockpile. I'm pretty active, but didn't know about the stick pile until a moving cache came through here last summer. At least that signal says something was here.

PS does everyone know that if you see a cairn or stick teepee already out in the woods you are supposed to add one to it for good luck?