Geocaching Withdrawel

Anyone ever been unable to go caching due to fact that you don't have access to your GPSr? Blondie had go out of town and took our Geocaching Mobile. Unfortunately I forgot to retrieve the GPSr from it before she left!!! Now I have a whole weekend without it! I'm telling you, I'm having cold sweats and I'm seeing visions of cache coordinates everywhere I look. Gotta...make...it...through...the...weekend...

--

Remember, This is a game. It's supposed to be FUN.

Don't take this or yourself too seriously!

--

hey man no worries! You can still go caching by using topographical maps with very accurate coords. Thats how Web-ling does most of his caching. Shoot him a quick e-mail and he might be able to give you an online map source or something.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

The Department of Redundancy Department

A geocache a day keeps the debtors away (cause your never home to take the call...)

quote:
Originally posted by pnew:

hey man no worries! You can still go caching by using topographical maps with very accurate coords. Thats how Web-ling does most of his caching. Shoot him a quick e-mail and he might be able to give you an online map source or something.

http://www.texasgeocaching.com

The Department of Redundancy Department

A geocache a day keeps the debtors away (cause your never home to take the call...)

I use a lot of topo maps and I own some sophisticated mapping software.

I have found caches that I located by description only, but there is no way that topo maps substitute for gps coordinates on a legitimate 2 or 3+ cache.

I think you're forgetting the most obvious answer: GO BUY ANOTHER GPS. And when your wife comes home and says, "Why did you spend all our money on another GPS?" you can say, "Because YOU took the OTHER one with YOU!" Then...well...umm...you can move in with some friends...maybe the Dithers have a spare room.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

My husband is out target practicing today, therefore, I am going through withdrawl. I have the shakes it is so bad.

Of course, being a woman, I do not go alone with two daughters - I trust no one!

And yes, we have two gps. It's just a matter of having my man around to protect us.

"Nice find! I must go tell Harry, Ron and Hermione."

quote:
Originally posted by Dagwood&Blondie:

Anyone ever been unable to go caching due to fact that you don't have access to your GPSr?

Nope, never happened. As pnew mentioned, I find about 2/3 of my caches just using aerial photos and topo maps. Try LostOutdoors.com. Just punch in the coords, and you can get both aerials and topo maps for most places in the USA.

MOST caches CAN be found without a GPSr, although it's much more challenging, especially in heavily wooded areas where there's nothing distinctive on the aerial.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

I stayed with friends, and forgot my GPSr when I left. It was a week before I got it back. During that time I tried two caches, and failed to find both of them. But when I started geocaching I found my first six caches without a GPSr - I seem to have become reliant on it now!

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald