Advertising in Caches

I read a post that commercial caches are not allowed, but what about commercial advertising in logs, items left.

I read a post about business cards before, but I don't remeber it.

Here's my cache... http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=15408 the most recent log is from someone who put in a hat & posted on the log about their business.

What should I do? Leave it? Delete it? Personally, I think it's tacky.

The last thing I'd like to find while out enjoying the outdoors is an ad (or hat) in a cache.

I think people should be required to read the rules before finding caches!

You about at "test" before people can activate their accounts!!!

icon_mad.gif

It looks like the person(s) is a new member, so its possible that they didn't read all the rules and guidelines when they signed up. I'd send them an e-mail and explain your position (tactfully, of course) and ask them to edit the log, taking out the part that advertises their business. Leaving a hat from a company in a cache is one thing, but leaving a hat and advertising the company through the cache log is another.

I see no problem what so ever with their log. In fact, it looks like they were very careful NOT to mention their company name. If I want to to know who they are, I have to go find the cache. Plus, the cache is on a lake and they supply kayak gear. This could be very handy to visitors to the area.

12077_700.gif

If someone put a McDonalds toy in the cache and posted that they put a McDonalds toy in the cache would you have a problem with that?

There is very little difference between a hat with a company name on it and and a McDonalds toy with the McDonalds name on it.

- Lone Rangers

I don't see a problem with the hat, but I collect hats so that's a whole other subject! He could have skipped the ad, but it wasn't blatant. Can't we all just get along? Besides, it no more advertising his kayak shop than this is advertising your cache, right?

Later,

TikimanHSA (Hunter)

I think that placing a hat that the logo from one's company is a great idea. The US is 50 percent corporate logo by volume anyway. Plus, I'd wager that the hat is the best item in the cache right now. If you live anywhere on the east coast, you've seen the pink plastic key chains that the Geocaching Team with the most finds leaves in every cache they visit ... AND THEIR USER NAME IS THE NAME OF THE COMPANY!!! I haven't heard anyone complain about that. I think it's fine. Your concern about this log being a commercial is much like the debate over the separation of church and state where people get nervous if you "bless" someone when they sneeze on public lands.

quote:
Originally posted by TikimanHSA:

Besides, it's no more advertising his kayak shop than this is advertising your cache, right?

Later,

TikimanHSA (Hunter)

But his cache is not for capital gains.... icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, like someone said, it wasn't blatant & a cap from a kayak shop would probably be a pretty neat item.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

There is a fine line between advertising and legitimate cache goods. Example...does anyone have a problem with me leaving a coupon for 25% off at EMS in a cache? Technically its advertising, although most cachers would take it readily. I think promoting your own business through geocaching is in poor taste, but leaving an item that bears a logo isnt neccesarily a problem. (providing that it isnt your logo)

Curious here...how does the group feel about coupons for stores?

This was certainly not an abuse of the no advertising policy. The person took the time to find your cache and left a great item. Just because he mentions his other life is no reason to come down on him. Figuring out what to leave in caches is always a problem for me and I often leave samples that I get from the company that I work for. I don't consider that advertising and they are certainly worth more than the McToys that clutter most caches. As for Macro's question, I think it's a great idea to put coupons in caches, the're light,the're flat, only people that can use them will take them and as long as we don't start seeing "20 cents off a box of Tide coupons", they too will be worth more that the McToys.

I would have a problem with McToys being left if the person putting them in the cache was the CEO of McDonalds & his username was McDonalds & his Profile said his name was McDonald's Corporation. And he said "if you need a burger, visit the McToy." That's the extent of what was entered on the log.

Hmmmm I go to a cache near a lake, I find a hat in the cache (you can BET I'll snatch that up in a flash) and in the log book I see something about if I need a Kayak I can go to JoeCacher's shop. Cool, I think to myself, a fellow geocacher, I'm gonna check it out. We both have a common hobby in geocaching, and I have an interest in Kayaking too....I like it.

Quit being over sensitive. Now if all he left was a flyer and a ton of business cards, well that would be lame, but hey, he left a hat, that's cool. Putting a small plug for his business is fine too, ya know people need to quit acting like business is evil, for a small business owner, that is a HUGE part of who they are, not just because it pays the bills. I like to support small business, and when I know I share something in common with the owner, I like it even more. Business and industry is what keeps this country moving, I wish people would quit slamming them....after all, unless you are a government employee (in which case you live off of everyone else's taxes) it is small business and big business that pays YOUR bills too.

I don't think it is tacky at all to put a small plug in your log entry for your business, so long as it is short and sweet.

By the way, I am not a small business owner, not even an employee of a small business. I just know that it is small business and big business that keeps this country rolling, and I'm tired of seeing it getting slammed so often. Government takes, business makes.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

The thing I wouldn't want to see happen is for folks to clip coupons for $5 off at Restaurant X from the newspaper and leave them in trade for some relatively decent item... when the coupon expires in 2-4 weeks. That could too often result in geotrash in the cache (expired coupons) and degradation of cache contents if this happened. My suggestion would be to use some sort of coupon/gift cert that doesn't expire for 6 months *minimum* or if shorter term coupons are used, just throw them in as an extra. Still may become trash, but at least they weren't exchanged for &quotlonger-lived&quot cachebait.

Actual cash value of coupon, 1/20 of 1 cent...

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

I'm guilty! On my first hide, I took a george dollar and stapled my friend's business card to it (he's a financial planner). If you want the buck, and not the card just take it off and throw it away, no one is going to cry about it. Just thought that since he was new (only about 2 years in the business) I'd help him out. If you toss the card, fine. If you call him up, he might be able to help save some college money for the kids (ie future geocachers! : ).. Win, win situation in my eyes. Now passing out passing out pamphlets of why you should invest with my friend in a cache is a little over the line, but don't get too crazy. I found a highliter I still use to this day in a cache with a business logo on it, I never called them up, but it's still handy!