I could use a little help.....

TNRonin

Ok, I found this company that sells what I think will be top notch stuff that will work for the Geocacher. I posted the information on the Garage Sale, but nobody has posted anything in response. I'm just a guy trying to make a couple bucks and provide gear that will be fairly priced and perfect for the geochacher. I've invested a few dollars to become the "authorized dealer" so I need this to work out.

Here is what I want to propose. I will sell one cp-m, m1, m2, or Fatboy waistpack at 25% off the MSRP. In exchage I need your promise (Scouts honor as my boy says) that you will give a detailed review of the item in question. If you like it, good, if you don't that is fine also. I'm fairly certain that you will like these products though.

First two people to notify me off board that they are willing to participate will get the 25% off deal. You may be thinking ya right, this isn't much of a deal, but the manufacturer is extremely strict about what the prices are set at, so I can't just run sales when I want to.

Thanks for any help you can render.

First, where do we see what you are talking about?

Second, I wouldn't expect too much of a response since it sounds like an ad of "something" that can be found from other places like REI and such with less risk.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....

umc, I don't get where you are coming from. I asked for someone to review this. If I could afford to give it away I would. I would like someone with some credibility to take a look at the stuff and give an educated opinion. As you can see from my posts I am a low poster since I have recently discovered the sport. It doesn't mean that what I have asked lacks any credibility. It's no different than someone selling camelbaks on the site or selling their GPS. I'm attempting to offer good products at what I think is a fair price. And no this cannot be found at REI to the best of my knowledge.

And yes I will contribute to the forum when I can afford it. As a recently certified teacher looking for a job funds are tight, which is why I'm trying to make a buck anyway I can.

quote:
Well, someone (mod) got in a deleted my sig. I don't get it.

I saw your banner ad style signature graphic. It's not really fair to expect this website (that sells their own products) to allow you to use the forums as a venue to sell your wares do you? Put the shoe on the other foot, if you had forums set up on your site, would you allow others to advertise their wares with no benefit to yourself? Of course not. Perhaps you should contact Jeremy about the possiblity of placing (read purchasing) your banner ads on his site (if he even wants to entertain that idea).

Personally, I'm quite set against banner ad signature files.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

I saw your banner ad style signature graphic. It's not really fair to expect this website (that sells their own products) to allow you to use the forums as a venue to sell your wares do you? Put the shoe on the other foot, if you had forums set up on your site, would you allow others to advertise their wares with no benefit to yourself? Of course not. Perhaps you should contact Jeremy about the possiblity of placing (read purchasing) your banner ads on his site (if he even wants to entertain that idea).

Personally, I'm quite set against banner ad signature files.

dadgum, Jomarac and I in the same thread agreeing... what's this forum coming to? icon_biggrin.gif

There is a section of the forums set aside for non-commercial sales. I think if you have a business, then you should be paying to advertise on the website, just like I assume Magellan did for that little banner on the main page.

"(Mopar is) good to have around and kick. Like an ugly puppy" - Jeremy

Well, I agree with you, but could you please show me where they are selling what I'm offering?

I have also taken the banner off. Unfortunately it is not updated when I post again on the previous posts. I have also looked for anything about buying banner space and have not seen any.

Finally the signature that I have place has a homer bouncing up and down just like other people have. Seems sort of hypocritical to allow some but not others.

I don't get it. Do I need to earn my bones on this site? I figured this would be a little different than the other boards I'm on where the testosterone flows freely. Hell, this is a non-aggressive, non-violent sport where politics has no bearing, affluence has no bearing, hell anyone can do this stuff.

And once again. I am curious as to where they are listing the waistpacks, and what not on this site. My intent was by no means to step on ANYONES toes. I would even like to talk with them about doing some "Branded" stuff for them. I have access to an embroiderer and I can do some Geocaching gear for them.

I did not come to this board to make a buck off the members. I have lurked here for info on GPS's and software for about two years. When I got a mapping GPS is decided to take the plunge, now I'm hooked. I just thought that this gear would be useful to the people who geocache. Then all I get is crap because someone doesn't like my style. oh boy!

Edited to Add: MOPAR you have a good point. I will be contacting them. But what happens then. Are you still going to run me off the boards? What is considered appropriate by your standards?

Maxpedition Hard Use Nylon Gear

[This message was edited by TNRonin on July 20, 2003 at 04:52 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by TNRonin:

umc, I don't get where you are coming from. I asked for someone to review this. If I could afford to give it away I would.

Admirable, but please understand that you are posting what is essentially a commercial advertisement for your product or service on a site that does not solicit such. This is generally known as "spamming" a site, and is exceptionally bad etiquitte, regardless of the circumstances.

quote:
It's no different than someone selling camelbaks on the site or selling their GPS. I'm attempting to offer good products at what I think is a fair price.

Actually, yes it is.

First, the "GPS Garage Sale" is set aside for trading, and you have posted this in "general discussion", which is the wrong section.

Second, "GPS garage sale" is set aside for non-commerical people just trying to dump an old GPS and salvage a few bucks for it, not a commercial enterprise like yourself.

I sympathize - getting your name out there is tough and your 25% off proposal for a review is a fair one. However, using someone else's forums to advertise your business without their permission is not the way to go.

I do wish you luck in your venture. I really hope it works out for you.

Hoys, I am not spamming the site. I have made what I thought are constructive comments on other threads not dealing with this.

Yes the garage sale is for dumping stuff. Have you looked at the camelbak (5) page thread? He ain't dumping them. And I have posted on the Garage sale page. I have many viewers, and many hits on the site.

I know that I would not buy if I didn't know something about the product I was looking to purchase. Hence the reason I have asked someone to "take a chance" and give an honest review. I'm sorry you all feel this is advertising. I have emailed the staff and inquired about their advertising fees, and I will advertise on the site. Until then I have to literally scrape by until then.

quote:

Yes the garage sale is for dumping stuff. Have you looked at the camelbak (5) page thread? He ain't dumping them. And I have posted on the Garage sale page. I have many viewers, and many hits on the site.

Then, at the most, the Garage Sale would have been the place to do it. Not my call, though. Jeremy will make the call - I'm just informing you of the rules of generally accepted internet etiquitte, then you might discover why a lot of hits may not equal a lot of sales.

PS: I would recommend that you remove the "Homer" image from your sig. Using a copyrighted character as advertising without permission may just subject you to a lawsuit from Fox, who happens to own Homer J Simpson.

This is NOT a warning. I do not work for GeoCaching nor do I work for Fox, but you have taken resources from both to advertise your business.

Again, I hope your business succeeds, but I would respectfully point out that your posts in "General Discussion" and your use of Homer are two moves in the wrong direction.

quote:

Edited to Add: MOPAR you have a good point. I will be contacting them. But what happens then. Are you still going to run me off the boards? What is considered appropriate by your standards?

You got good information already to the rest of this post, no need to repeat.

There is an email address to contact the site regarding business inquiries listed on the contact page. I'm certainly not trying to "run you off the boards". I'm not the only one who has commented on what 99.9% of the other users here consider inappropriate use of the forums for advertising. You may not like to call it spam, but unsolicited advertising IS spam, no matter if its an email msg, or a big flashing banner ad in every msg thread I read. I didn't ask to see it, and you didn't ask the owners of the website to put it there. That makes it spam. I'm certainly not against a fellow geocacher trying to earn a buck, and if you are selling something I need at a competitive price, I'm more then willing to give you a chance. However, even if I was your best customer, I still wouldn't want to see people using the discussion forums for advertising, nothing personal.

PS. I'm sure to some small extent spam works, or people wouldn't do it, but I personally make it a point to NEVER purchase unsolicted products. Many many other people feel the same way. Gimme a way to find your website when I'm looking to buy, and I'll take it from there.

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

hoys,

Do you work for geocaching or fox?

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

______________________________________________________________________________________

icon_smile.gif

Neither, thankfully.

Actually, I would love to have come up with Homer, just to draw a few of the profits off him, but sadly I'm just a working schmoe. icon_smile.gif

Y'all, you may not think I'm agreeing with you, but in fact I am. If you notice homer has been neutered. Regarding spaming ya, all you have to do is read the thread, if it don't interest you then move on, I started it, I didn't force you to click on it.

Commenting on what you think is appropriate, while appreciated, is your call. I have done nothing that is tasteless. Especially since I started the thread. Now if I come on to your's or someone else's thread and start posting a bunch of crap on it, I agree, I should not do it. Please re-read the original post. I AM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO REVIEW the gear! If Jeremy chooses to kill the thread then so be it. But I must say that I believe that this is good gear, and would be of use to the community. It is almost tailor made for this type of activity. Or so I thought when I saw it. It has nothing to do with "hey I need to make a buck", let's go to the geocaching site and steel their bandwidth. If I can make the sport more enjoyable then it will grow and help everyone involved.

Actually I'm sort of disappointed in the response of a few. It would seem to me that something that will help the person in the field would be welcomed. Instead you want to shoot the messenger.

Finally the reason I posted this on the General board is because it obviously gets more traffic.

[This message was edited by TNRonin on July 20, 2003 at 04:53 PM.]

I'm all for shooting messengers. icon_smile.gif Also know that my first post was pretty much on and it wasn't meant as anything toward you. Just knowing this place a bit it was meant to be a bit of a heads up.

Question: Why can't you review it yourself or have a friend or family member review it if thats your goal?

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Well, a person is selling camelbacks in this thread in the garage sale forum. I think this is the thread you mentioned. I note that he/she took some flack for it, but the thread is still going. I won't weigh in on whether it is OK or not, but will say whether good or not, that I have thought of purchasing. Regardless, the garage sale forum is the best place for such a thing. Also, I figure that geocaching.com doesn't bother us with banner ads, so forum users shouldn't either!

quote:
Finally the signature that I have place has a homer bouncing up and down just like other people have. Seems sort of hypocritical to allow some but not others.

The difference is that the bouncing Homer in the other signature (and I think he removed it anyway) isn't selling anything for personal profit.

quote:
PS: I would recommend that you remove the "Homer" image from your sig. Using a copyrighted character as advertising without permission may just subject you to a lawsuit from Fox, who happens to own Homer J Simpson.

Hmmm... I have a copyrighted signature, sort of. Since it is fan art, I don't know (the bouncing Homer would be the same thing). Anyway, once it is fan art, I would guess that it is generally OK (or at least won't be pursued by anyone for infringment. Note that trademark could likely be different). Of course that all depends on how it is used. If used to attempt to make money, like with a link to a sales page as appears to be the case here, then yes, it seems to be a definite violation! If used because the person likes it and gets no profit, then it could be OK, and if not, the copyright holder is unlikely to complain. Again, a trademark (such as the geocaching logo) is different because you get into issues with it becoming public domain.

Regardless, I'll keep my Pikachu signature, but if I suddenly get a request to stop from the copyright holder, by all means I will and I will bend over backwards to apologize!

OK, so I say no banner ads or use of bouncing Homer in conjunction with a sales link, and keep it in the garage sale forum and let TPTB decide if it fits in!

pokeanim3.gif

To the question of reviewing it myself. My goodness, the way you are right now, jeez I hate to think what would be said if I posted a review for something I was selling. Wow!

And Ya, in retrospect, I agree this should have put in the Garage Sale forum. I'll see about getting this moved.

[This message was edited by TNRonin on July 20, 2003 at 04:53 PM.]

quote:

Y'all, you may not think I'm agreeing with you, but in fact I am. If you notice homer has been neutered. Regarding spaming ya, all you have to do is read the thread, if it don't interest you then move on, I started it, I didn't force you to click on it.

Commenting on what you think is appropriate, while appreciated, is your call. I have done nothing that is tasteless. Especially since _I_ started the thread. Now if I come on to your's or someone else's thread and start posting a bunch of crap on it, I agree, I should not do it. Please re-read the original post. I AM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO REVIEW the gear! If Jeremy chooses to kill the thread then so be it. But I must say that I believe that this is good gear, and would be of use to the community. It is almost tailor made for this type of activity. Or so I thought when I saw it. It has nothing to do with "hey I need to make a buck", let's go to the geocaching site and steel their bandwidth. If I can make the sport more enjoyable then it will grow and help everyone involved.

Ok, NOW your starting to tick me a tiny little bit. Some who you think because you started the thread, that you own something here? And telling people it's their own fault for seeing your spam cause if they didn't want to see it they shouldn't have clicked YOUR thread? Well, screw you! I saw you post a thread entitled "I could use a little help....." and clicked it looking to answer your question, not to see your advertising AGAIN.

And to come off saying that allowing you free advertising here in the forums will only make geocaching more enjoyable and help it grow? Well, now I'm too busy laughing at you to be mad, at least.

quote:
Mopar wrote:

dadgum, Jomarac and I in the same thread agreeing... what's this forum coming to? icon_biggrin.gif

It is indeed a strange world where we live. icon_wink.gif

-----

TNRonin, I can appreciate that you are trying to offer something to the community while at the same time attempting to generate some income for yourself (heck, who isn't?), but there are ways to do things and this is not one of them. I hope you can see the point of view of those who oppose what you are doing.

Looks like all that needs to be said here has been said. I wish you good luck in your endeavor to sell your product.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Looks like all that needs to be said here has been said.

I would have agreed with ya until Mopar chimed back in. icon_smile.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Ok, NOW your starting to tick me a tiny little bit. Some who you think because you started the thread, that you own something here?

Hmm, I would like to think that since I did start a thread it is up to me to decide what I'm going to put in it? Or do I need to check with you first. Or maybe I need to check on the title to make sure you are ok with that also? Just because you are an "old timer" here don't give you license to tell others what to do!

I tell you what MOPAR, please don't bother to read anymore of my posts. Evidently you feel that you rule the roost and nobody can differ in what they think from you. Give me a friggin break.

And you sir are starting to tick me off! Just pass on my threads from now on. I really don't need you to give me "advise" on how or what to post. Really. You are not the only one that has or can contribute to the boards. I have agreed with the vast, VAST majority of what you all have said. But as I said, I did not require you to read, nor ask for you to tell me what I'm supposed to be posting. I will agree where I want to, admit when I'm wrong, which I will. BUT, I also have a right to believe what I want to believe. You don't like it tough luck. Who do you think you are?

It never ceases to amaze me the crap people will talk when they are not face to face. And sir I will happily give you the url for the boards I'm on where people know me personally/face to face. And I am EXACTLY the same in person or on the boards. Rant mode off.

[This message was edited by TNRonin on July 20, 2003 at 07:14 PM.]

quote:
I tell you what Jeremy, please don't bother to read anymore of my posts. Evidently you feel that you rule the roost and nobody can differ in what they think from you. Give me a friggin break.

WTF? Jeremy? icon_confused.gif

I think you are missing something here, don't think it is me.

pokeanim3.gif

Consider this . . .

A bunch of people meet and talk about an interest. Someone comes in, sits down, and begins a sales spiel for some new product. He has good intentions and just wants to share something he has found to be good.

Can you see the awkwardness this might provide for the folks who wish to just sit around and talk about their interest?

I do not try to sell my wares around the lunch table at work. It is not the approriate place for it. Neither is the General forum here, imo.

And although you may have taken some heat for this, becoming testy certainly is not the way to sell your product. If you are indeed interested in selling this stuff, alienating your assumed audience does not seem like the prudent move.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

Can't we all just get along?

I think he gets the point that this may have been better suited for the Garage Sale.

He also has changed his sig and such. Looks like the guy is trying to play nice.

We have all been new to the boards at one time or another. Mistakes are made and we move on. No need to start a war over it.

I for one would love to test one of those puppies out and give a review. It is nice to see fellow cachers offer a deal to others. No need to bash him for offering a deal on his stuff. A simple nudge toward the proper forum would have been fine.

Now I want you all to give each other a big ol hug and make up like the swell guys and gals you all are.

When you are done with the hugging, get off you respecitve backsides and go do some caching to rid yourselves of that energy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61* 12.041 W149* 43.734

Permit me to point out that umc's avatar, the doot bucket, began as a joke to ridicule someone trying to sell cache buckets through the forums. And here we are, 10 months or so later....

I am shocked that no one has pointed this out yet. I guess by now, everyone thinks that umc invented the doot bucket, just from seeing it nearly 2,000 times in the forums.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

quote:

I tell you what Jeremy, please don't bother to read anymore of my posts. Evidently you feel that you rule the roost and nobody can differ in what they think from you.

Jeremy doesn't feel he rules the roost, HE DOES RULE THE ROOST, this web space that you are taking up is his. He owns this site and for the most part geocaching. Think about that, if you want to differ with him, fine but know that he does rule this roost. Anyway.

quote:

It never ceases to amaze me the crap people will talk when they are not face to face. And sir I will happily give you the url for the boards I'm on where people know me personally/face to face. And I am EXACTLY the same in person or on the boards. Rant mode off.

Please do post that URL, just for curiosity sake.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I agree fro. On the other main board I'm on, I have well over 3k work of posts. I just screwed the pooch and assumed that you all would be the same. As a community we share information, and there are several dealers on the board. Basically, if someone is selling something that is not wanted we just move on. We don't get critical with what that person posted. Simple as that.

Frankly, I have friends that I will sell the gear to. If they don't want it, it does not hurt my feelings. And they know that, they don't get offended or anything when I mention this stuff. Go figure.

I'm just a normal guy that has gotten into the sport. In fact my wife and my boy and I hunted up a micro cache just this eve, we left some interesting matches behind. It's like some people feel that I'm just some guy coming on here to sell crap. That is not the case. I enjoy this sport! It is addictive.

Oh great, another forum I'm going to have to spend my life in...

TNRonin, if you see me in there posting please have me banned because not only do I not have the time but I don't need anymore firearms and I could only imagine that the talk there would get me pumped to purchase.icon_wink.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
LOL, I thought that was his name since it is in his sig. My bad. He knows who I'm talking to. Ok, Ok, I'll play nice, but I won't bow and scrape like he evidently thinks I need to.

OK, I see.

In response to posts after: OK this person seems to see the issues with the initial post. So, I say cut a newbie a break! He seems to be making amends.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

OK, I see.

In response to posts after: OK this person seems to see the issues with the initial post. So, I say cut a newbie a break! He seems to be making amends.

http://outbreakcorp.hypermart.net/animation/pokemon/pokeanim3.gif

Ok, lets pick on Carleen then instead.

Geez lep, you still don't have it right. Mopar is the Doot Head icon_wink.gif:D

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Ok, lets pick on Carleen then instead.

Geez lep, you still don't have it right. Mopar is the Doot Head icon_wink.gif:D

umc, you know I love you as only 2 men can, but you also must KNOW Carleen's new avatar is too cute to pick on!