barefoot geocaching

I saw a weirdo get off a bus without socks or shoes on. It was quite cold here, maybe just above freezing, and the quy was wearing a nice warm jacket and cordoroy pants and a hat and gloves but no shoes. (He did not appear to be a homeless person or mental patient)

Ok, fine you want to commune with nature (in the freaking cement and tile of the subway!) then why are you wearing a warm winter jacket? Why not do it right and strip down to a loin cloth? I hate halfa$$ed people who half do something like that.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

I would love to geocache barefoot but glass and poison ivy prevent this. I suffered from severe Planter Faciitis for years. Than I saw a Dr. who recommended I throw out my shoes, orthotics and any other foot aids and walk and run barefoot as much as possible. I did that religously for a year and finally am cured! I felt stupid and embarrassed running down streets barefoot - but it worked. Now, geocaching barefoot would be great, but their is so much JUNK on the trails I hesitate. What do you do about all the glass and the poison ivy?

quote:
Try that here in Az....youll have 3rd degree burns on yer feet

When I was growing up here, I had a friend who refused to wear shoes for several years. His feet toughened up the first year and he was able to walk on the street, without pain that I could see, in the middle of the summer. Glass, rocks, etc. didn't bother him. I have no doubt that he could have walked on hot coals.

My hiking boots are very comfortable. I am certain that hiking barefoot would not enhance the experience. I have had discussions with barefooters before. They tried to convince me that I was missing out on the holy grail of hiking.

I just walked off and left them. Kooks if you ask me.

It sounds so earthy and crunchy!

Maybe good in principle but I think there are too many things that can really screw with you if you do that. Besides foreign objects there's the risk of parasites and whatnot.

The best thing I did to commune with nature was to look up from my GPS.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Dragon:

quote:
Try that here in Az....youll have 3rd degree burns on yer feet

When I was growing up here, I had a friend who refused to wear shoes for several years. His feet toughened up the first year and he was able to walk on the street, without pain that I could see, in the middle of the summer. Glass, rocks, etc. didn't bother him. I have no doubt that he could have walked on hot coals.

Been there, done that. Growing up on the shores of Lake Huron, I never wore shoes in the summer.Feet got so tough we did walk through the red coals. Quickly!! Very quickly!!!!

I grew up in the high desert in Calif. I think I only wore my shoes between classes.

My feet were so tough, when I moved to Pa. I didn't wear shoes in the snow even. Hated them.

I went back to Calif for a week years later, and went barefoot in 120 degree heat one day.... been a tender foot ever since.

What I do today is Important - I spent a day in my life doing it.

Your feet do toughen up after a while. But then something else happens....ever have a callous split wide open? Ouch! Calloused feet are not comfortable feet....I still have a problem with my heels splitting from time to time. I prefer to wear shoes now.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

quote:
Originally posted by Team GeoDat:

... I suffered from severe Planter Faciitis for years. Than I saw a Dr. who recommended I throw out my shoes, orthotics and any other foot aids and walk and run barefoot as much as possible. ...

That's weird ... I had the same thing a couple of years ago and the podiatris (spelling?) reccomended the exact opposite ... had to do these certain exercises first thing in the morning and wear a support ... cured it up in about four months. He had reccmd. not going about the house barefooted ... but I don't think I did that too well icon_biggrin.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

quote:
Originally posted by Team GeoDat:

... I suffered from severe Planter Faciitis for years. Than I saw a Dr. who recommended I throw out my shoes, orthotics and any other foot aids and walk and run barefoot as much as possible. ...

That's weird ... I had the same thing a couple of years ago and the podiatris (spelling?) reccomended the exact opposite ... had to do these certain exercises first thing in the morning and wear a support ... cured it up in about four months. He had reccmd. not going about the house barefooted ... but I don't think I did that too well icon_biggrin.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

Fear of glass, sharp rocks, snakes, poision ivy, etc. are concerns even with shoes on. Most woodland trails have little glass except in the parking lots. Sharp rocks, you just watch where you place your feet. Snakes you always watch for and they will usually move away or I will back off. I don't hike in snake boots. Poision Ivy is always there whether your barefoot or not, buy some Ivy Block - it works. These fear are dening you a way to feel the trail. Your feet do toughten and it's a great way of hiking. Plus, it does keep a person more on trail, rather than bushwacking their way thought a woods. Read some of the info in the link posted. You may want to try this after all...

Well, we picked up our daughter from college last Saturday, and did a little geocaching while we were there. Unfortunately, she forgot and packed her tennis shoes! So, she went geocaching in her shower flip-flops (the really cheap $1.97 kind). At one cache, she found the stickers...at another, the mosquitoes zoomed in on her feet (at least 10 bites on her feet!) What can you expect from an Aggie? icon_biggrin.gif

Well, we picked up our daughter from college last Saturday, and did a little geocaching while we were there. Unfortunately, she forgot and packed her tennis shoes! So, she went geocaching in her shower flip-flops (the really cheap $1.97 kind). At one cache, she found the stickers...at another, the mosquitoes zoomed in on her feet (at least 10 bites on her feet!) What can you expect from an Aggie? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Anything that makes my penis look small is a bad thing

george

Must not be to many mirrors in your house, eh?

Just kidding - couldn't resist.

MajBach

You can't have everything,where would you put it?

1compass.gif