Signature Items

Do you leave a signature item? If so, what?

Have you found any signature items? If so, what was your favorite?

I've been bantering around the idea, and I'm just curious what kinds of things are popular. I'm guessing the handmade, one-of-a-kind items are the most sought after.

I just came up with a new signature item that I have placed in the last few caches I've found/hid. It's a combination compass, magnifying glass, and map reader ... all encased in a leather sheath.

Here is a pic of the compass at a cache I found last week.

1404765_300.jpg

--------------

Changing some folks mind, is like trying to herd cats.

55883_200.gif

One of my favorite signature items comes from Jeo. I've found a couple in the Roseville area... they are buttons known as "Round Tuits." The buttons read:

"We are pleased to provide you with your personal Round Tuit. Guard it with your life. These Tuits have been hard to obtain, especially the round ones. It is an invaluable item. It will enable you to be more effecient. For years people have said, "I'll do this as soon as I get a Round Tuit." Now you have a Round Tuit of your very own and many things should be accomplished."

I always thought it was kinda clever. icon_biggrin.gif

I don't have just one signature item but rather at the current time there are seven. I make mechanical and entanglement puzzles to leave in caches. The one catch is I don't give the solution with the puzzle. If you can't figure it out I do have a Travel bug (The Unpuzzler) wandering around with all the solutions. I look at it as just another chance to drive everyone nuts. And it works too doesn't it FLASK.

sig.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty O Junk:

I don't have just one signature item but rather at the current time there are seven. I make mechanical and entanglement puzzles to leave in caches. The one catch is I don't give the solution with the puzzle. If you can't figure it out I do have a Travel bug (The Unpuzzler) wandering around with all the solutions. I look at it as just another chance to drive everyone nuts. And it works too doesn't it FLASK.

http://www.tsbsales.com/geocache/sig.jpg

Marvelous idea. (And I love your sense of humor)

I like the signature items that are hand made. One local geocacher leaves pressed flowers between two pieces of glass, a couple others paint rocks. These are all very neat items to have and hold. What about me? Well, my signatue is Byron's Famous Stump Pin, of course. icon_biggrin.gif Here's the picture.

icon_razz.gif

Byron

Who do you have to ask to recieve permission to use the logo or the web address on signature items? We have been thinking about some signature wooden nickels with at least the web address and maybe the logo on them to promote geocaching and geocaching.com. We didnt want to infringe on anything however. If the correct powers that be read this could you email me with the details please

Traveling Jones icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

How come the needle in my compass is 68? off?

I do a lot of night cachin, so on a night raid I always leave something that glows in the dark. I haven't found an item that is odd, or weird enough to use as a regular sig item yet. Although, I do plan to leave independant hitchhikers that invite the finder to move it along and log it on my upcoming website, or to make it their own by placing a regular TB tag on it, or just to keep it if they wish. So, I guess these independants would become a sig item. I can't wait to actually find an independant TB that I have put out that has been adopted as a regular TB. I have a hitchhiker adoption page planned for the site.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

I used to leave a the Pokemon Promo Card "Ancient Mew" from the second movie. Even if you hate Pokemon the card looked cool. But it didn't hold up in caches all that well.

Now I just have to figure out how to cast my own coin. Of course I'd need someone to carve my dragon avitar. The actualy artist would be nice but I can't recall where the heck I got the photo of the sculpture to figure out who did it. This project may take some time.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I used to leave a the Pokemon Promo Card But it didn't hold up in caches all that well.

If you've still got a bunch, look into a 4" laminator, pretty cheap actually. Saw them for less than $10 on ebay. The plastic sleeves aren't bad either if you buy a bunch at one time.

Funny thing is that we used to not like refrigerator magnets and now we look for any that are sig items in a cache! We have the upper half of our fridge plastered with cards and now we have been leaving our personal cache card/magnet in almost every cache that we find and have created a new series for our "Max the black geo dog". Here is a sample of our cards; http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/19272_300.jpg

We think that these are a wonderful sig item to find/leave in a cache and hope to find many more! Much more interesting than Mc D toys! icon_wink.gif

There's some neat ideas here!

I've been working on my signature item, and I'll post some details once they're finished (waiting on some stuff I mail ordered).

Someone elsewhere suggested a "Signature Items Only" cache, and I'm thinking of placing one this next weekend. That'd be a great way to launch my new signature item!

I noted some of the items people have offered look a bit pricey. I know my initial ones have cost me a pretty penny, although I think I can get their cost down by 50-75%. What are people willing to spend on their signature items, in terms of time as well as money?

My wife makes beeded bracelets, and keyrings, earrings, etc. she says she wants to start caching them, and wants to start in the Morgan Earp cache I am developing.

(Any Route 66 caches organized?)

Jeff Scism, IBSSG http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/

Is it more important to know what you are talking about,

or more important to talk about what you know?

the seeking is in the knowing

and not where you've been

Travelling is the going

isn't learning Keen?

I really like the handcrafted sig. items shown here. I am not too fond of the bagtag/pin items that are starting to pop up around these parts. If everyone visits a cache and 'takes mctoy left sig. bagtag' then every cache will only be full of the sig items sooner or later. icon_frown.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

winsey - I tend to collect signature items when I come across them. (I have found 2 to date).

I like them and prefer them.

I leave my DustyJacket buttons, but not as a trade for other items. Hopefully, people will say so if they don't like them.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

We make small (usually hardwood) birdhouses. We have made several different designs and usually make 10 - 20 of each type. They are small enough for a curio box or to put into a houseplant. We put our initials and the number of the find where we leave each one. We try to keep track of the cache logs after we leave one to see who takes them. We really get excited when we find out someone has taken one. They seem to be pretty popular in our area, and there are a couple of people who will "follow" us around and collect them. We wish more people would leave handmade or personal items. That is the first thing we will take out of a cache, if we take anything at all.

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

I just bought a Dremel, and have an idea to carve Native American symbols (snakes, lizards, kokopellis) on shale rocks that have been turned green by the copper mines they came out of. Tried one this morning and it came out great.

Oooh. How about a trade? We have a new sig item coming out soon (as soon as our team name stamp comes in). Each item will be one of a kind made with petroglyph designs. Ours are wood not stone. Although we briefly considered sandstone and may do so in the future.

I have been droping chunks of Silver Lake Oregon area arrowheads, spearpoints and tool chunks. As well as reworked arrowheads and tools. I get lots of them - I have past out about 5 pounds so far and I have another five or six pounds to get rid of. I stick a little note with each item saying where it came from, what it could be and about how old it might be.

logscaler.

I lack the time to be creative so I have been leaving Kennedy half dollars in caches. The best signature item I have found is left by a friend of mine (Elvish Archer). He has found a site that sells stone arrow heads so he leaves those in caches he finds.

Lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!!

quote:
Originally posted by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking:

quote:

I just bought a Dremel, and have an idea to carve Native American symbols (snakes, lizards, kokopellis) on shale rocks that have been turned green by the copper mines they came out of. Tried one this morning and it came out great.

Oooh. How about a trade? We have a new sig item coming out soon (as soon as our team name stamp comes in). Each item will be one of a kind made with petroglyph designs. Ours are wood not stone. Although we briefly considered sandstone and may do so in the future.

I will be looking for your trade items when they come out. I put my carved rocks in a small snack baggie, and print up a note to go with it that describes where it came from, that I made them by hand, etc...I am taking some up to Michigan with me tomorrow to trade, they came from the south Rim of the Grand Canyon. I have been getting some from an abandoned copper mine close by but it sure is tough to pack out 40 lbs or more of the stuff in this heat, after searching for ones with flat surfaces...

I was considering making up a bunch of boo-boo bunnies (they are a little rabbit made from a washcloth, with a space to put an ice cube to soothe a boo-boo) and adding a tag with my name, rabbitsong. Of course, they are originally designed for children, and I have seen so many complaints about too many things being for children, so please give me opinions on this...would this go over well, or be ignored by all but the kids?

quote:

I put my carved rocks in a small snack baggie, and print up a note to go with it that describes where it came from, that I made them by hand, etc...I am taking some up to Michigan with me tomorrow to trade, they came from the south Rim of the Grand Canyon. I have been getting some from an abandoned copper mine close by but it sure is tough to pack out 40 lbs or more of the stuff in this heat, after searching for ones with flat surfaces...

Great! If you have any trouble at any of the caches you do here, you'll be able get assistance from the numerous Michigan cachers who will be stalking you for that item.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

I have an accidental signature item... When I got stuff for my first day of Caching, I got a thing of stickers... It was six sheets of smiley faces for a dollar... So I got a pack to take with me, and they came in handy, because the first cache I found, nothing else really fit in it very well. Those got left in the first three caches, but not in the one I went to today, because it was way too wet in the cache to leave them.

When I find a better item, I will use it instead.

I was looking at FISUR's great geo-creations page earlier today, and thinking how neat it would be to try and collect signature items. I'm sick of McToys, and travel bugs shouldn't stay in one place for long, but signature items really capture the spirit of geocaching, I think.

Anyway, I was thinking it would be neat if there was a "signature item" icon, similar to the travel bug icon. It would function exactly the same way as far as logging goes, but of course it wouldn't need to keep track of who had it or how far it had travelled. Just whether there was one in the cache or not.

If someone had a particularly nice item you'd like to get your hands on, you could just check their signature item page to see what caches currently contain the item.

What do you think? Worth suggesting to Jeremy?

I want one of those carabiner flashlights....

How about phoenix eggs? *(Really small eggs carved from dyed catseye).

phoenixeggs.jpg

Jeff Scism, IBSSG http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/

Is it more important to know what you are talking about,

or more important to talk about what you know?

the seeking is in the knowing

and not where you've been

Travelling is the going

isn't learning Keen?

QUOTE: INDIANA COJONES-------

"Anyway, I was thinking it would be neat if there was a "signature item" icon, similar to the travel bug icon. It would function exactly the same way as far as logging goes, but of course it wouldn't need to keep track of who had it or how far it had travelled. Just whether there was one in the cache or not.

If someone had a particularly nice item you'd like to get your hands on, you could just check their signature item page to see what caches currently contain the item.

What do you think? Worth suggesting to Jeremy?"

Yes. A great idea.

I think signature collecting would become quite popular. And it follows that signature items would become more unique and personable (and collectable).

Definitely a good idea.

HOLY SMOKES! That is an awesome item! Did you make that yourself??

quote:
Originally posted by Indiana Cojones:

My signature item is finally finished!

http://homepage.mac.com/thecreativealliance/.Pictures/SignatureItem.jpg

Each one contains a genuine ancient coin (keeping with the whole Indiana Jones/archaeological theme). Some of the coins are more "valuable" than others, and I'm thinking of putting silver coins out there for my major milestones (100 caches, 200 caches, etc). I'm going to leave the first one tonight.

Team Yellow Dog is doing something similar, so we'll have to keep an eye out for each other's cache finds and then go plunder 'em. icon_wink.gif

Well, I obviously didn't make the coins (although I've had to clean them up a bit... they were purchased uncleaned), but I'm putting the whole thing together myself. I designed the inserts and print 'em out on National Geographic Adventure Paper (and if I can identify the coin, I give as many details as I can).

Thanks for the comment!

quote:
I used to leave a the Pokemon Promo Card "Ancient Mew" from the second movie. Even if you hate Pokemon the card looked cool. But it didn't hold up in caches all that well.

Ha! As the Pika cacher, I would have grabbed one. Even though I have tons of pokemon cards, yours would be treasured! I leave pika cacher pencils, but after seeing the neat items here, I figure I need to come up with something better. I had been working on magnets and peel off window stickers. I should get back to work on those!!!!

I do love to pick up signature items. I always keep those and put them in my office!

pokeanim3.gif