Should we be paying a membership fee?

Guest Cach-U-Nuts

Guest Cach-U-Nuts

This quote taken from my previous thread!

There have been many threads in the past which have been quite inflammatory and have resulted in many of us telling Jeremy what we WILL and will NOT tolerate!

I thought it might be interesting to find out if anyone else feels we should be contributing for our fun? And if so how much? I would think if we each paid $15 a year membership fee Jeremy would be in a better position to accommodate all of our demands icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Cach-U-Nuts (edited 24 July 2001).]

Guest celts

We certainly would be willing to pay for the use of this site. We personally pay for other sites we use that don't allow us ANY input on how we use it, nor do they give us as much opportunity for such fun. Jeremy has been more than gracious and helpful in trying to accomodate our every wish and whim. Celts and Bozo

Guest Cisupete

No kidding, this forum is like a drug.....I HAVE TO HAVE IT NO MATTER THE COST. icon_redface.gif

I would much rather pay for a site that provides this kind of enjoyment and motivation than any other.

Guest Pokey

As much as we have used Geocaching.com the past five months, we would be more than willing to pay to feed our addiction. To keep the complainers at bay, maybe the payment of the fee could be on the honor system, kind of like the online novel Steven King was selling chapter by chapter a while ago. Just a thought? Jeff

Guest navdog

Becoming a member and paying a yealy dues may give everyone a better sense of community, but with that said, would membership give us more input into how the game,sport,hobby is structured, such as rules and regulations. Would this give all of us an individual vote?

Guest Havasu Desert Rat

I would be more than happy to pay a fee to be able to use the geocaching.com website. If nothing else, Jeremy's time and effort should be considered. I can't imagine how much time he commits to this with all the programming and reading the forums, etc.

Guest raygun_88

Although the forum and services that Jeremy offers are very much worth a membership fee, I can't say I would be happy to pay (it is a matter of personal finances and the fact that I'm a Cardy, and Cardy's make Scots look like spendthrifts). Moral support for such an outstanding job (and sacrifice), YES! But lets get Garmin and the other GPS manufacturers to foot the bill, seeing how so many of us have contributed to their burgeoning sales in a weak market.

[zips up flame-retardant suit]

Guest db8tr

r. Perhaps 2 free cache logs and if they want to log in the future they have to pay the fee.

Maybe let them peruse the site as an anonymous user except obfuscate the last 2 digits of the coordinates. You would have to pay the fee to get the exact coordinates. This would allow a person to guage the amount of interest in his/her area before investing in a membership.

Allow a free membership for a week with the full site available except the logging feature. To be able to log then you have to pay.

Make it a volunteer payment. Say $10-$20 a year if you personally feel as though you use it enough to warrent paying for it. I get a sense from reading this forum that many of the people would be happy to pay a fee and would do it voluntarily. I know I for one would. This system is probably my favorite because it lets honest people evaluate the system for free and get hooked. Then they will feel compelled to pay for the enjoyment they get from that. Sure, some people will not pay no matter what. Thats life. With the volunteer system maybe the people who pay could get a special icon next to their name in the forums and the logs. An "I support geocaching.com" logo that would encourage others to do the same.

I personally enjoy this hobby a great bit, and would be willing to pay for the great service that geocaching.com provides. However, it must be understood that while geocaching.com is a recognized brand at the moment, that could change if it suddenly was the only geocaching site to charge for it's service. I think that a decision to start a pay service must be made at the point that there are enough loyal users that would not "defect" to another caching website. I think that is a decision only jeremy can decide.

Guest tslack2000

I agree that Jeremy does a great deal of work and deserves be compensated, but I must say that I DON'T agree that a payment should be MANDATORY to use the services of Geocaching.com. I believe Jeremy would agree and I'm sure he'll voice his opion on the matter soon enough. As a matter of fact, he already has.

On June 04, 2001 he made this announcment:

He said, "Pay for Play - Recently there have been fears that the site will become Pay for Play. I want to make it clear right now that I, Jeremy Irish, CEO of Grounded Inc., will never make the geocaching sport a pay for play service, as least as far as I can control it on Geocaching.com. Hopefully that will quash any misinformation in the future. I believe the sport remaining free is in the best interests of the game.

Last but not least -

As long as people are interested in going out and playing geocaching, I will continue to create new features to the geocaching.com site to surprise and amuse folks to play the game. Hopefully other web sites who offer services to the geocaching community will continue to make it a fun game to play. I for one still enjoy working on the game and still have fun."

I would guess that there is a percentage of people who are "addicted" to Geocaching and would do what ever is necessary to keep playing, including paying a membership fee. And I bet that of the people who are "addicted", a large percent also participate and read the forums. The rest of the people out there who love the sport (or hobby, whatever you prefer) who place a cache or two and search out a cache or two, probably make up a large percentage (the majority, no doubt) of all Geocachers. To someone who is not as dedicated as all of us, who suddenly has to "pay to play", will just as soon not play. That would be unfortunate and would hurt our sport, especially in the areas where it hasn't exactly taken off yet! I think Jeremy has every right to make it possible to donate and I hope that he'll be encouraged to do so after reading the positive reaction given by this thread. But "Pay to Play" this site will not be, and for that I am glad! Thank you Jeremy!!

Maybe one thing we can all keep in mind is that we have no right to "demand" anything from Jeremy. I don't believe most of us have done any such thing. Yes, there is a "wish list" out there, but that's all it is. And as Jeremy said in his announcment, he is more than happy to try and make this web site enjoyable for all. That will be done, of course, on his own time and his own timeline. I am quite happy with the website as it is now and anything extra is just an added bonus!

[This message has been edited by tslack2000 (edited 25 July 2001).]

Guest mfratto

Yeah, I don't think I would pay either -- already have made a couple hundred dollars investment in putting caches together and replacing prizes, and that is my investment. Also, we don't do this constantly, it's a hobby, and we have made no demands on Jeremy (that I can think of) so I feel like this website is a fun thing, but I wouldn't pay for it. I don't pay to be a member of eBay or Yahoo, etc, why here? Maybe there could be a donation type structure for people who think they would like to do that.

Mauri

Guest rusty

Jeremy has said he doesn't intend to make this pay to play and I think we should take him at his word. Personally I am not concerned about paying him for his time, I would gladly do it becuase I enjoy this, but he does not want it. Do you embarass someone that does you a good deed by trying too forcefully to put $10 into his hand? I think the bigger concern is that as geocaching grows there will be more demand on bandwidth and servers and those are real costs. If Jeremy wants to donate his time and enjoys it, fine let him. However he should not have to be the only one that contributes to the real costs.

You can still support geocaching without Jeremy having to run a PBS fundraising drive. Buy a hat and/or shirt. Send him $10-15 via PayPal and tag it for general geocache use. I know another free site where the webmaster has placed a couple inconspicuous PayPal logos on the bottom of the main page, they are to "donate $5" and "donate $10". I would not be against any of these ideas, but I also think Jeremy is a very intelligent man and if it gets to a point where he really needs help he would find a way to ask.

Rusty...

Guest Cach-U-Nuts

Thanks for all the great responses! I don't want anyone thinking I'm suggesting this become a "Pay to Play" site, I think the voluntary donation is the best idea, and really the only one that would work well. Having said that, Jeremy are you opposed to accecpting donations? Mine will be on it's way!

Please, Let's not turn this into a "Pay to Play" debate...that one's been covered!!!

Guest Snowtrail

There is a website called Trailplace.com (Appalachian Trail for those who have never heard of it) by Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce. It is a wonderful site that was for a while pretty much supported by Wingfoot. He has now added a small request for donations at the bottom of the page for people who would like to support the website.

I would probably now have gotten involved in Geocaching if I hadn't been browsing it for free for a while. I bought my GPS through Amazon to support the site. I like the fact that this is a free site. If money is needed, request donations. If that still doesn't cover it, -then- ask for a yearly usage fee.

KEEP IT FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest k2dave

Bad Idea to charge when this sport/game/activity is still very small and we want it to grow. The more caches and seekers the better (we all like it when we get a note that someone found our cache). Perhaps if needed he can make this a sort of a shareware site where you can pay if you feel obligated. I would not place any restrictions on it at this time (free service would be the same as paid service). Maybe in the furture new caches will be delivered to paid subscribers and the free service will have to wait till the new become old.

Guest bearboy

I wouldnt mind paying a 1 time or yearly fee for the use of this site.I think this is a superb a site as you can find.Jeremy must be putting out some cash and lots of time into this site.If it was my site,I would charge a fee to recover at least the amount of money I had invested.The other option is to allow advertising or selling Geocaching Paraphanalia.If a fee is charged at some time.I would like to see this site sponsor some cool get togethers and some really cool caching games or contest.Thanks for a great site Jeremy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest sivad

I would pay or give a donation to this sport or game. It is hard to find a family orientated web site. Here ( from what I have read) seems to bring ppl togehter. Also it is hard to find one thing the whole family likes to do together. And this sport/game does. Also how many of you out there woule have gone out and seen what was in your town or city. This sport/game has gotten you to go out and see things that you never knew were out there. It has for my family. Any way I think it should be up to the person if they want to support this site or not. Either by giving a donation, buying something or just by helping out here.

------------------

"All that wander are not lost...for they have GPS in hand..

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by db8tr:

With the volunteer system maybe the people who pay could get a special icon next to their name in the forums and the logs. An "I support geocaching.com" logo that would encourage others to do the same.

I'm in for $25. Let's do it!

What do you think Jeremy?

Guest Exocet

Maybe I'm missing something ...it seems like a lot of people would like to give jeremy some money. Well, there's already a way to do that.

About every 2-3 months, my friends and I pool our resources and donate the equivalent of about $5/mo from the each of us. We like to use paypal, since it doesn't take as big of a cut as amazon seems to do when you use their system to donate money.

You do not have to wait. Act now and support a starving code monkey in the slums of Seattle ... icon_smile.gif ...No, really. If you want to give some cash to Jeremy, don't hesitate. Figure out what value the web site and the communities it represents has for you and donate appropriately. I've found it's helpful to contact Jeremy first if you're going to use paypal.

As with most things, I would like this site to remain "free" in the monetary sense. When you give money because you really want to but aren't at all obligated to ...that shows you really, really like something that someone is doing. I think that's pretty cool.

I do support one idea that db8tr had and that is the "I've donated cash" icon. Hey, why *shouldn't* people know you've donated in order to help out? PBS tells you who their major corporate sponsors are, don't they? That could be a user preferences thing, ideally.

Guest brokenwing

Am I the only one that knows that Jeremy has already got something setup to donate?

Click here to see the link.

For those of you interested, check it out!

Thanks,

brokenwing

Guest tslack2000

quote:
Originally posted by celts:

Did I misunderstand? I thought this was a rhetorical question. I think we all know Jeremy's published thoughts on the matter.

Maybe I misunderstood? Many of the responses didn't feel "rhetorical" to me. I don't think we all know Jeremy's published "thoughts" either. With at least 400 new members to the forums in the last month I'm sure not ALL of them have actually gone in to the Announcment threads and searched 60 days back to see the post that I quoted from.

Mfratto: From the way you started your post right after mine I can see that somehow you got the idea that I wouldn't pay. If that's how my previous post reads then I need to clarify. I am a JUNKIE. I WOULD pay. I will pay. I just don't think everyone should have to. But since this is a "rhetorical" thread, I don't need to say that.

Guest tslack2000

quote:
Originally posted by brokenwing:

Am I the only one that knows that Jeremy has already got something setup to donate?

You just might well be! I've looked at that page before and never seen the Amazon logo! It must be something relatively new. Thanks for clueing us all in! It works great! icon_wink.gif

Guest mfratto

quote:
Originally posted by tslack2000:

Mfratto: From the way you started your post right after mine I can see that somehow you got the idea that I wouldn't pay. If that's how my previous post reads then I need to clarify. I am a JUNKIE. I WOULD pay. I will pay. I just don't think everyone should have to. But since this is a "rhetorical" thread, I don't need to say that.

LOL, okay okay! Man, you guys are jonesing. I would not pay if it became required -- I guess I am not that addicted. I might buy a hat, however, or a t-shirt, that kind of thing. And I think donations are fine, though I think publicly announcing that you donate sort of takes away from the spirit of donation -- maybe if you donate you get a free bumper sticker, or like the Nature Conservancy, etc., you might get a free hat or something if your donation was large enough. Hey, Jeremy -- watch out, this could really screw up your taxes. icon_wink.gif

Did I mention I work part time for the IRS...joking.

Mauri

Guest jeremy

You are welcome to send me money (I definitely wouldn't turn it down), but you don't need to. I set up a PayPal button at the bottom of the page since Amazon tends to take too much money off the top.

As for requiring a membership fee, I won't be doing that ever. I like the fact that it's a cheap sport to play (comparitively speaking), and I don't want to keep folks from wanting to play because of fees involved.

I do appreciate all the support though. Wow! The best you could do for me (and the sport) is spread the word, clean up some trash, and help put a good face on the sport. Oh, and buy a couple hats and t-shirts now and again icon_wink.gif

Jeremy

[This message has been edited by jeremy (edited 25 July 2001).]

Guest WJJagfan

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

As for requiring a membership fee, I won't be doing that ever. I like the fact that it's a cheap sport to play (comparitively speaking), and I don't want to keep folks from wanting to play because of fees involved

Thank heavens!!!

Guest c_oflynn

Hi,

I think that no fixed cost is good, but a donation basis is always nice. Eventually a fee-based system might have to be put in place to stop these forums from becoming overcrowded (anyone here use to be on RC online, you will know what I mean).

Colin

Guest WJJagfan

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

Oh. I forgot. The exception is WJJagfan - who will have to pay monthly dues to me.

icon_wink.gif

Jeremy

I knew there was a catch!! eek.gif

------------------

WJJagFan

Guest Campeon1981

Jeremy, you da Man! Thanks for all your effort and for keeping this site free for us addicts =)

Bought one shirt already! I'd buy some stickers or patches with the logo in a heartbeat! I'm SURE im not alone here.

Thanks!!

I was thinking. Why a monthly or annual fee. why not a one time membership and one time maintence fees.

I was figuring you could sign up for say 3 months or so free of charge You could look up and seek but not hide. also only people with a user name could look up caches.after that you would have to pay a one time membership fee to register your user name. then every time you hid a cache you would pay a one time maintence fee. I think this could generate a good deal of revenue for the site and limit people from just dropping caches willy-nilly, thus cutting down on the lame-o cache count.

I feel if you start locking people out of looking at caches. then it won't be long before the only caches the general public can see are the "lame-o" ones. this would decrease peoples intrest in this sport not increase support.

But I still will be sending in my $30

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

quote:
Originally posted a really long time ago in a message far, far away by tslack2000:

I would guess that there is a percentage of people who are "addicted" to Geocaching and would do what ever is necessary to keep playing, including paying a membership fee. And I bet that of the people who are "addicted", a large percent also participate and read the forums.

I don't think this premise bears up under examination. Most of the "addicted" cache seekers with the highest numbers of finds seemed to have a relatively low presence in the (old) forums, while the "addicted" forum participants with the highest numbers of forum postings seemed to have, on whole, comparatively low find totals. There were of course exceptions, and none of this is intended as "judgment" of either group . . . each was deriving enjoyment from geocaching in their own way. But I agree with tslack that the most involved members of each group recognize the value this site offers, and will gladly purchase a subscription.

From what I've seen, the basic geocaching site will remain free. However, there will be a subscription PREMIUM service for those who want it. A lot of cachers have expressed interest in a pay-to-play service to protect(?) their caches.

Looks like the best of both worlds.

If you don't want to pay, don't subscribe and only post your hidden caches in the free area.

quote:
Originally posted by texas-jacksons:

We want to invite new users to the game and be able to answer questions and encourage their new interest through newsgroups and forums. I typically do not pay for anything I'm not sure of first.

The ability to do all of that still remains.

quote:
Geocaching should remain free, as well as newsgroup forums.

Don't worry, geocaching is free and so are the forums. You can still play the way you always have. icon_smile.gif

The pay part is just a few additional features and supporting the site...

-exConn

What is Project Virginia?

quote:
Originally posted by texas-jacksons:

. . . I don't mind paying a small membership due once a year for special features like email updates, newsletters and perhaps priority notifications of new caches, but I feel $30 is too high. The site is great and I hope to stay loyal to the roots of Geocaching. However, I believe that advertisers should be primary financial source. . . .

Ack. I would think anything would be better than to be subjected to a bunch of banner or popup ads.

I am amazed at the number of posts that feel Jeremy should remain our slave, keep the site completely free, and add all of the features they would like to see. What world do you live in? Do you have ANY idea what a site like this costs?

If you don't want to pay, don't! Everything you now have for free is still free.

My personal feeling is that I am only paying Jeremy for the fun I have ALREADY had. New features? Bonus!

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

.....My personal feeling is that I am only paying Jeremy for the fun I have ALREADY had. New features? Bonus!

EXACTLY! Like I said before ... for the resturant price of a cold beer each month ... How can you have this much fun legally?

348_1002.gif

Hey guys,

I can't speak anyone but myself, I do not object to paying for sevices on the geocaching web site. I do have an objection to paying to hunt for specific caches (Member only caches AKA mocaches). It not a money issue it a principal of what I thought geocaching was. Please read Mikechim's post on the 7th page of {Pay to Play? I'd like to hear from Jeremy} http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=5980944593&p=7

Mike concerns are also very similare to my own and he says it very well.

Thanks

mcb

Originally posted by Clan Ferguson:

I was thinking. Why a monthly or annual fee. why not a one time membership and one time maintence fees.

I bet there is already a lifetime fee. Let's see I am 44 the average life span is 75 or so. So the difference would be 31x30=$930.00 so I figure if I send $930.00 i will be set for life. On a serious note it cost's $30.00 a year because Jeremy needs that much to run the service. Since when did he assume the burden of having to provide this service for free. The alternative is to stop the service. Just my opinion.

Enjoy the Outdooors.

BrownMule

quote:
Originally posted by mcb:

Hey guys,

.... I do have an objection to paying to hunt for specific caches (Member only caches AKA mocaches). It not a money issue it a principal of what I thought geocaching was. ...mcb

The principle of the activity is still what it was before yesterday ... the MOCaches will not harm that at all. I have 14 active caches and plan a couple more ... maybe one or two might wind up MOCaches ... but because of the limited participation ... they will probably be single event oriented or maybe a major prize to first finders ... but really big deal ...

Jeremy has been true to the original "principles" of this activity ... and besides ... maybe principles is a bit over the top ... after all this isn't life or death ... hum ... actually maybe it's more important than that! icon_biggrin.gif But then I'm obsessed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

348_1002.gif

Hawkeye I respect you opinion that the mocached will not hurt geocaching. But I icon_frown.gif have to disagree with you there. Hence my earlier posts and I beleive a few (very few) others have posted with similar fears that the mocaches will hurt goecaching as a whole. It is just a fear and I personally have little to back it up other than that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. I hope I am wrong and that mocaches after the arguments die down become just another part of the bigger picture. But it is all just wasted typing now the mocaches are on the way and I don't think that the few decenting opinions are going to sway Jeremy's plans, nor should they in all reality. I hope all goes well and we will all find out together.

As for paying for the web site I don't have a problem for the most part. I agree with the majority here, Jeremy's work is probably worth the $30 dollars a year, the forum upgrade alone is probably worth it. But I worry about the mocaches.

Thanks for reading.

mcb

Another one of my favorite web sites, slashdot.org, just recently adopted the "pay to avoid ads and may get some neat stuff as a bonus, too" model. I was happy to pay - a mere $5 for 1000 page views. Be happy that Jeremy didn't adopt the same model - some of the heavy posters or geocachers with 200+ caches found might be paying the most to support their habit.

People need to realize that there is no free lunches. Everything costs money, especially bandwidth and servers. Slashdot estimates they spent between $1.5 and 2 million dollars last year to support 500,000 users. Geocaching.com only has about 50,000 users. There's no math to be done here - a direct comparison would be silly - but imagine that the scale is true, and it's costing Jeremy $150-200k a year in bandwidth and server costs, etc. to run the site. Where do you think that money is coming from? Let me repeat: There are no free lunches, especially not with 50,000 users.

Another, side topic is this: consider that implementing a subscription system is not the top thing that Jeremy would like to do. No one wants to do it - they know it will alienate part of their user base. But unlike, say, your local cable provider, Jeremy has a donation jar. How much have YOU donated, eh? I know I've probably covered all of my page views, server upgrades, admin time, etc. To be honest, I've donated far more than I've paid via the subscription route.

So, yes, all you heavy posters, you need to pay. Those of you that have been playing the game for a month or two (or more), you need to pay.

You need to pay, because nothing is free. Just because you can get a huge broadband connection for $30/mo (US) doesn't mean you're covering their costs - look at Excite@Home. Everyone here needs to be realistic. As many have pointed out, the cost is less than a pint of beer most places on a Friday night. Yet look at all the complaining and hand-wringing. You'd think Jeremy was selling out to Garmin and charging $500 a head to have the title "Super Elite Mega Geocacher!" Get real.

"Strictly hand-held is the style I go." --Beastie Boys

I don't see what the big problem is with mocaches feature. It is simply a feature aka 'added bonus' that many cachers have asked for. It is simply a way for the cache owner to restrict the viewing of the details of a cache in hopes of prevention of theft of the cache. People have asked for that ability for a while. Jeremy implemented it, but by doing so he also had to put some restrictions on how a cacher would get the 'privilege' of seeing the cache. If a geostealer wants to steal a mocache, sure (s)he can pay his 3 bucks that month and get all the coords to the mocaches...but that's where he'll be caught. In order to see that cache, (s)he gives up some anonymity by making payment for the Charter member status and can then be tracked down and strung up by their toes.

And yeah we should pay a membership fee because we utilize Jeremy's services (servers, bandwidth, free time, intellectual) ...something that he's graciously given us for a while. He's not demanding that we pay him...he's just offering us a little something extra if we help him better geocaching for everyone. He's usually more than willing to accomodate a change when he has time.

True that I may be a newbie in some people's eyes since I've only been on the hunt since December and haven't posted much to these boards, but I have a fair amount of finds already and a few hides. Haven't paid my $30 yet, but I will shortly because this sport has given me much more than $30 worth.

quote:

...As for paying for the web site I don't have a problem for the most part. I agree with the majority here, Jeremy's work is probably worth the $30 dollars a year, the forum upgrade alone is probably worth it. But I worry about the mocaches.

Thanks for reading.

mcb

You're welcome and I understand ... but you know I think it's only going to get better ... Anytime you have a group activity ... it can get a bit strained at times ... but the moment and direction of the activity seems to be heading down the right path IMHO ... so let's just enjoy it. It's a welcome relief from the everyday garbage!

348_1002.gif

quote:
Originally posted by navdog:

would membership give us more input into how the game,sport,hobby is structured, such as rules and regulations. Would this give all of us an individual vote?

When you subscribe to a magazine, do you get a vote what goes into it? Do they ask you how you want them to run their show? Not that I've ever seen icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway...aren't you happy with the way everything is structured now? I think Jeremy always considers suggestions regarding the sport/hobby/game, whether you're a member or not...I doubt that will change.

Shybabe924

quote:

Hey guys,

I can't speak anyone but myself, I do not object to paying for sevices on the geocaching web site. I do have an objection to paying to hunt for specific caches (Member only caches AKA mocaches). It not a money issue it a principal of what I thought geocaching was. Please read Mikechim's post on the 7th page of {Pay to Play? I'd like to hear from Jeremy} http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=5980944593&p=7

Mike concerns are also very similare to my own and he says it very well.

Thanks

mcb

Thanks MCB,

I'm glad my posts are at least understood icon_smile.gif and as you point out, there isn't much that the minority can (or should) be able to do. Geocaching means different things to different people. (just my opinion snake I really don't see how we could track someone down and string them up, I'm not sure you can get that info from paypall) And since there really isn't much we can do on this site, we might as well keep going and see how things turn out, and yes Hawk-eye you are right, I will still be enjoying the sport. Hopefully we can all still get along icon_biggrin.gif

Mike