Garmin E-Trex

excop1313

Yes it is a good starter unit, but if you went with the Venture, it comes with the USB cable so you can hook it up to your PC. The basic E-Trex doesn't come with that and if you add in the cost of the cable, the price is about the same as the Venture.

You will eventually want the cable.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

never owned an e trex,but, have had several other garmin units and all preformed well. i assume this one would also. ive had a 38,48,111+ and now a garmin V which i truly like. i think they all work basically the same with the more expensive models just having more options. if your looking for a model that will give driving directions to anywhere the garminV is the one , and the new version(deluxe) comes with all the maps, real good if you travel alot, or on vacation,gives detailed maps anywhere in usa. if cost is a problem you might try ebay i bought the 111+ on line and got a good deal and then up graded to the V i now have. bottom line

I LIKE GARMIN ease of use and good stuff. easy maggies... i dont mean any offense i just like garmines ron

Garmin E-Trex Venture is the best bang for the buck.

There are other units that seem to excel in specialized situations, but for everything I, and 4 other cachers in the area, the Venture is all we need. And it has many advantages over the others.

If you are considering the Basic Yellow E-Trex, I strongly recommend you get the Venture. By the time you add the computer cable (which you WILL want) to the basic yellow, you save very little cache (cash), icon_biggrin.gif . OTOH, the Venture allows longer Waypoint names, twice as many legs in a track, longer track names, and has a much nicer display over the basic yellow.

Good luck in your choice. The yellow will do just fine, but....... Hmmmmm...... can someone tell me if the yellow has WAAS? Great reason to get the venture...

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Team Madapple:

If you are going to spend 100 bucks on a unit,

look at the Meridians on Outpost.com [or Fry's Electronics],,,they are

a great bargan now and have the slot for the

SD card for more memory....More bang for the buck

than a basic e-trex.

True, true..... Hey Whaddabout a Rino??? Seen some for $210!

There's also another peer-to-peer positioning GPS out there I saw at Frys the other day. Dang.. What was it??

---------------

burnout.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I have noticed in the past that The headquarters for Garmin is in Kansas. And I have also noticed that the headquarters for Magellan (Thales Navigation) is in France. I am kinda down on France right now. In fact, I don't even get French Fries when I go to Mc Donalds. icon_biggrin.gif French Dressing on my salad is out too! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Being a good union member, I always try to buy american when I can.

That Rino looks like a better deal now....

It's Friday. Time to put the GPS batteries in the charger and get ready!!!

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I too am the proud owner of the eTrex Venture and also the great Garmin V. Take all the advice and get something that can be connected to your PC (U will want it!)

I would never knock the yellow eTrex, some of the best cachers use them and love them, but when it comes time to enter a handful of coords for a day out caching, the cable helps and is a total time saver. Not to mention, when u get home u can download all your tracks to your PC and see exactly where U have been! No can do with Ol' Yeller. Have fun and keep us posted on your decision!! Kar of "Team Shibby!"

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs, Kar & Na

I have an Etrex and love it. It is all the GPS you would ever need for geocaching and is very user friendly. I also just recently got a Vista. The Vista is real nice but I won't part with my Etrex for nothing. The battery life on the Vista is a bummer and the legend would be the same. As far as the rebate, I have been waiting for 7-8 weeks and still no rebate. Garmin advised me recently to allow up to 12 weeks. Now what can possibly take 12 weeks for a rebate? The USB cord can be purchased very reasonably.

I agree on the battery life of the Vista. It's not great, but that's what the power cable for the auto is for. icon_smile.gif I run the GPS off that for the entire drive, then run batteries after I've arrived in the vicinity. Granted, on more rural caches, I could chew through batteries in 1.5 days or so, but it's ok. The feature gain from my upgrade of the GPS III to a Vista is well worth it.