Web Cam Cache?

Guest Anton

Guest Anton

Greetings,

The concept of a Web cam cache came up in another thread awhile back, but I don't remember if there really ARE of them any in existence. So, are there any?

If so, please share the clues & coordinates. If not, who's going to get credit for hiding the first one? Got a cam? It could be you.

Oh gosh! Poor Jeremy will be up late again, working quietly in the dark, staring hard at a glowing PC, tongue out to the side, and throwing away draft after draft of the new cache symbol for Web cams. "Hey hon! Make more coffee, will ya? And don't wait up!"

Here's a possible set up. Face a Web cam out the window, and post the coordinates. Cachers who find it can hold up the GPS with the coordinates, and their watch with date & time, showing to the camera. Yeah, that'll work. It's the real-time cache logging, geostash survival, big brother, you are the weakest link, reality TV game!

Anton, 10H/10F

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest makaio

Last winter (Nov/Dec), I setup a prototype cache cam pointing out the window of my home office at a trail that runs behind my home. While the cam worked great, serving up images every 60 seconds, the area just doesn't qualify as a good cache location (just a small path running between two sections of neighborhood) so I never actually planted a cache there. Obviously, the easy way would be for someone to hide a cache within ramge of a camera safely mounted within a building, but the locations would probably not be exciting for the finders. A better idea would be to mount a remote camera in a location suitable for a fun cache, but that could get pricey and you'd have to wonder if someone wouldn't run off with your camera.

I had the idea of placing a cache within view of an existing webcam (traffic cam for instance), but haven't been able to find one locally that allows safe access (cache in the median of a freeway?) or a place where the cache wouldn't disappear quickly.

Someone will post one eventually and I'm sure there will ultimately be multiple cache cams. Hopefully, they won't simply point to a parking lot near where the camera is mounted icon_smile.gif

Guest Anton

Of course, I have to agree about having a worthy location for ANY cache.

On the other hand, a web cam cache will be a difficult propostion, so I wouldn't measure the adventure quality of it's location with the same criteria I'd use for a regular cache. Let's be generous with the owners of the first web cam caches -- they'll be putting a lot of effort into them.

The remote camera cache does sound too risky, and we can't expect a cache owner to risk losing their equipment. The idea of using a camera in a secure location to watch a cache, or having the camera itself (my suggestion) be a cache is a safer strategy.

Seeing that this sport has entered the world of advertising with the Apes movie caches, I can imagine someone setting up a web cam cache in a store or other place of business, and then posting the coordinates and clues.

One way or another, it'll be interesting to see when, where, and how the first web cam cache comes about.

Anton, 10H/10F

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 20 July 2001).]