Have you ever eaten food out of a cache?

I ate a chocolate-covered bug, once. Of course, the land manager was the assistant director of the park and an entomologist. Yum!

I also ate a Powerbar(-like) thingie. I checked the packaging carefully and then the food after opening. I made the decision to go ahead.

Sissy drank a bottle of water left in a cache recently.

The thing is, you've got to make the decision for yourself. Food doesn't belong in a cache, granted, but that doesn't automatically mean it is bad.

I checked the packaging carefully...

The thing is, you've got to make the decision for yourself. Food doesn't belong in a cache, granted, but that doesn't automatically mean it is bad.

There are reasons not to eat food other than tampering. Just because a wrapper is intact or the packaging doesn't have any damage, the hot container most definitely has an effect on food.

The ammo can (or whatever the container is, and anything except a running refrigerator is a container that can do this) might not be hot when you get to it, but during the week the food was there how many times did the temperature run way up and come back down? If you weren't there, you don't know.

The temperature fluctuations can spoil food even if it's in an airtight package. A can of beans would make you sick, or worse, if it's been under the wrong conditions. And since the conditions are unknown, you're taking a risk.

There's also the whole risk involved with animals trashing your container because they smell food in it. Forest rangers at Yellowstone National Park wake up campers in the middle of the night to make them remove food from their cars, even if the food is sealed in cans, because bears can still smell it and will break into cars to try and get it. The rangers are of course trying to protect the bears from injury, they don't care about the food being eaten. So putting sealed food into an airtight ammo can won't keep the smell away from wild animals.

Food in caches is just so wrong. Why do people still do it????

I was trolling trought the posts today and saw this topic and tought that this would be intresting, but then I realized that I was the topic starter...WTH I thought, then I realized that this topic is almost quarter of a decade old!

Doombot!

You are more observant than eight of the last nine posters. :P

Still an interesting topic after all these years though.

I can't figure out what part of NO FOOD IN CACHES people don't understand. Who in their right mind would eat something they found in a cache anyway? If I find food, I just remove it and throw it away. Same goes for dog biscuts.<BR><BR>Animals have a keen sense of smell and anyone who puts food in a cache is just begging to have it plundered by a raccoon, bear, porcupine or whatever.

What he said.