UTOPIA

quote:
Originally posted by geokatt:

I was on the forums earlier today and saw Utopia mentioned. I downloaded and installed it, but it won't load my .loc files. Anybody know anything about it?

Are these LOC files you've downloaded from geocaching.com, or ones you've saved from EasyGPS (or ExpertGPS)?

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by geokatt:

Both.

EasyGPS doesn't save LOC files back into their original XML-style file format, which is probably the problem. But I've tested Utopia against LOC files from geocaching.com cache pages, from the search pages, and from Pocket Query. It works with all of them.

3608_2800.gif

Question on this Utopia...

Does it harvest that way that cache harvester used to? Meaning, will it log on for you and get the waypoint for all the caches within a certain area?

That was a feature of cache harvester that I liked the best. I didn't have to go to gc.com and dl 10 waypoints at a time and then "merge" them in EasyGPS any longer.

So?? Does it? icon_smile.gif

'fraid not. But there's no merging of files necessary. When you access a LOC (or GPX) file, Utopia will ask you if you want to append it to the existing list (any duplicate waypoints are automatically filtered out), or replace the list with data from the new file. No more pasting data together to get a single list. And you can turn on the Always Append option, to avoid having to responding to the dialog box each time.

3608_2800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Centex Trekker:

Is there a way to convert .loc files to .gpx?

Yes, but there's not much point to it. It's not just the file format, but the data contained within the file. LOC files have relatively little data in them. Basically, it just has the waypoint, coordinates, and the title and owner (concatenated together).

3608_2800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by PDOP's:

Prime Suspect

Thanks for the great program. Any plans to expand the file types supported (Streets&Trips)?

You should be able to use the CSV file export to create a "pushpin" type file that can be opened by Streets and Trips. I know there were people who were doing this with Cache Harvester, and the export routines are the same. You'll need to check your documentation on S&T. The file format has changed slightly over the years. I have a fairly old copy that only allows 3 fields - Lat, Lon, and a text description.

The CSV export setup allows for quite a few options. You'll want to use the decimal-degree format (-)ddd.dddddd for the coordinates. Any piece of data that's displayed on the main list (except for the first 3 "indicator" fields - Mark, Note, and T-Bug) can be exported as a CSV field. And there are 3 customizable fields that you can set up with any combination of data fields and constants. For example, you could have one of those custom fields set up to give you, for example:

"Joker's Cache (Mult) CG4321 placed on 12/19/2002 by Jack Sprat"

3608_2800.gif

Thanks for all the help. I'm getting it slowly, but surely. Easy GPS allows you to have x # of files which can be saved, modified, etc. Utopia doesn't seem to have a "Save" function. What if I want to save the one i spent hours working on, load another, and someday go back to the first? Is that possible? Or am I confused about the purpose of the program?

texasgeocaching_sm.gif