Public Domain Logos

bigredmed

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

I suppose I should explain why you haven't seen anything original from me. I haven't had much time as I've got a couple of projects going here at the house, but the biggest thing is my stepson had surgery yesterday. He got sucker punched by some huge kid and broke several bones in his face. Looks like he's gonna be okay, now, just have to wait for the swelling to go down to see that his eyesight isn't effected.

So you can imagine, it's been hard to concentrate. The forums here have been a good distraction--it's not good to dwell on things sometimes. But now that the worse is over with, I can catch up at work and maybe submit something on par with leatherman's excellent entry.

CR

Best wishes for a complete recovery. Good luck.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

quote:
Originally posted by LongDogs:

Ok, didn't have time for anything really cool like I wanted to do, but here are some more examples of our proposed new logo.

All I can say is... mmmm those are pretty!

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

quote:

I suppose I should explain why you haven't seen anything original from me.

Not to me: Geocaching is a hobby to me: If you have an idea for an nice logo i would like to see it, but you don`t have to explain why you didn't send one(by the way: I like Sissy-n-CR#2 icon_smile.gif )

quote:

I haven't had much time as I've got a couple of projects going here at the house, but the biggest thing is my stepson had surgery yesterday. He got sucker punched by some huge kid and broke several bones in his face. Looks like he's gonna be okay, now, just have to wait for the swelling to go down to see that his eyesight isn't effected.

I hope he will get well soon...

this must have hurt icon_frown.gificon_mad.gif

Sincerly,

SIGINT

quote:

I suppose I should explain why you haven't seen anything original from me.

Not to me: Geocaching is a hobby to me: If you have an idea for an nice logo i would like to see it, but you don`t have to explain why you didn't send one(by the way: I like Sissy-n-CR#2 icon_smile.gif )

quote:

I haven't had much time as I've got a couple of projects going here at the house, but the biggest thing is my stepson had surgery yesterday. He got sucker punched by some huge kid and broke several bones in his face. Looks like he's gonna be okay, now, just have to wait for the swelling to go down to see that his eyesight isn't effected.

I hope he will get well soon...

this must have hurt icon_frown.gificon_mad.gif

Sincerly,

SIGINT

Oh. All original work by me posted on this site is copyrighted by me, Ken Jones upon creation AND released into the Public Domain by same upon posting.

(That why no one can come along and try to copyright it or otherwise register it. Don't know if it's legal--if not, copyright is retained, but freely usable by the geocaching community.)

Ken Jones a.k.a.

CR

C'mon people, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Let's just decide on Leatherman's #1 and move on. The only way an alternative logo can ever gain acceptance is if there is only ONE. Derive anything you want from it, use the original 'rough' look (my preference) or use a cleaned up version it doesn't matter they are all the same logo. Just look at all the avatars popping up to see how adaptable it is.

The original is available on a couple sites now as a hi-res 1800x1800 300dpi image and it can also be made in .ai or any other format needed.

Let's get it, use it, and promote it.

My own opinion is that it is better than the original Groundspeak logo in it's simplicity and adaptability and I can't wait to see it showing up on merchandise and in caches.

Rusty...

--------------------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends cache locationless!

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

Michigan Geocaching Organization

quote:

Oh. All original work by me posted on this site is copyrighted by me, Ken Jones upon creation AND released into the Public Domain by same upon posting.

(That why no one can come along and try to copyright it or otherwise register it. Don't know if it's legal--if not, copyright is retained, but freely usable by the geocaching community.)

You're misunderstanding the meaning of "Public Domain." It is indeed possible to take something that is in the public domain and use it as all or part of a copyrighted work, but doing so doesn't take the original public domain version out of the public domain. Thus, a copy of Tom Sawyer from 1890 is in the public domain, while the Corinthian-leather-bound "Great Books of the Western World" edition your parents bought you when you were twelve is still under copyright. Because the 1890 edition exists, though, I can freely use the text from it in creating my own edition of Tom Saywer, including the scenes with Becky Thatcher that Mark Twain didn't tell you about, without any concern for the "Great Books" volume that's still under copyright.

By releasing it into the public domain, you make it forever impossible for anyone - including you - to restrict its use.

warm.gif

I gotta say that I like the Leatherman #1 logo from the ease of duplication/graffiti-esqe perspective, but the combination of Gustav's #4 logo with Leatherman's symbol that SIGINT posted really rocks.

(Yeah, I liked it so much I snagged it right away and tweaked.... icon_wink.gif)

Good work all! They're all great!

I just need a fix!

I gotta say that I like the Leatherman #1 logo from the ease of duplication/graffiti-esqe perspective, but the combination of Gustav's #4 logo with Leatherman's symbol that SIGINT posted really rocks.

(Yeah, I liked it so much I snagged it right away and tweaked.... icon_wink.gif)

Good work all! They're all great!

I just need a fix!

Please keep us posted on how your stepson is doing. I'll keep him in my thoughts and hope that everything turns out fine. I hope the kid who punched him is receiving some, er, "consequences". icon_frown.gif

In regards to the logos, I had a really hard time choosing, because they were all so good. Even the ones that were variations on other ones had features I liked.

Eventually, though, I got it down to -

Formal: Team Bohica #1 or Gustav #5

Informal: Leatherman #1 (or XG, for short)

Now that I've said all that, I think that Gustaf #1 would make a cool bumper sticker or window cling.

The thing about Team Bohica #1 or Gustav #5 is that because of the detail, I think those would make especially nice coins. That's why I felt they'd be good formal logos.

Shannah

Please keep us posted on how your stepson is doing. I'll keep him in my thoughts and hope that everything turns out fine. I hope the kid who punched him is receiving some, er, "consequences". icon_frown.gif

In regards to the logos, I had a really hard time choosing, because they were all so good. Even the ones that were variations on other ones had features I liked.

Eventually, though, I got it down to -

Formal: Team Bohica #1 or Gustav #5

Informal: Leatherman #1 (or XG, for short)

Now that I've said all that, I think that Gustaf #1 would make a cool bumper sticker or window cling.

The thing about Team Bohica #1 or Gustav #5 is that because of the detail, I think those would make especially nice coins. That's why I felt they'd be good formal logos.

Shannah

"By releasing it into the public domain, you make it forever impossible for anyone - including you - to restrict its use."

Yep, that's what I meant. As long as what I've put out there for consideration for the new logo can be used at will and without restriction. It just I've never officially released anything to the Public Domain--it's always been either work-for-hire or retained copyright. ...or didn't care one way or the other. Here, I think important to be clear that it's in the Public Domain.

If what I've said is good and legal-like then that's cool.

CR

I think it is safe to say that leatherman's #1 is getting enough votes that most future designs should incorporate it. It would be the basic geocaching logo, much like the little X man is the basic Groundspeak logo. Lots of more advanced designs are possible, but should incorporate the GX. I've posted a truetype font with the GX logo as the A and B characters on my site. That would make it easy to replace the G in any of the designs using the word geocaching with the GX logo.

I'd say sigint's work is a VERY good example of incorporating the logo. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by LongDogs on October 10, 2002 at 09:31 AM.]

I think it is safe to say that leatherman's #1 is getting enough votes that most future designs should incorporate it. It would be the basic geocaching logo, much like the little X man is the basic Groundspeak logo. Lots of more advanced designs are possible, but should incorporate the GX. I've posted a truetype font with the GX logo as the A and B characters on my site. That would make it easy to replace the G in any of the designs using the word geocaching with the GX logo.

I'd say sigint's work is a VERY good example of incorporating the logo. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by LongDogs on October 10, 2002 at 09:31 AM.]

I agree. No point in beating a dead horse. The GX has already passed all the tests of a good symbol. It's been extended, reproduced, and recognized already by many people on the forums. At this point it seems like the vote should be:

-Use the GX

-Continue this thread

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

C'mon people, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Let's just decide on Leatherman's #1 and move on. The only way an alternative logo can ever gain acceptance is if there is only ONE. Derive anything you want from it, use the original 'rough' look (my preference) or use a cleaned up version it doesn't matter they are all the same logo. Just look at all the avatars popping up to see how adaptable it is.

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Last night I experimented with a bunch of the logo variations and inserting them into MS Word to print them onto mailing labels. The goal being to create a label for signature items that would have the geocaching logo for decoration. Couldn't figure out how to upload the page, but suffice it to say the GX worked great. Gustaf's, even the colored ones, did surprisingly well getting shrunk down to 3/4".

If anyone would like to see the Word doc let me know.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

By releasing it into the public domain, you make it forever impossible for anyone - including you - to restrict its use.

And this is something we haven't yet discussed.

We are all looking at it from the point of view of geocachers. What happens if someone, say Wal-Mart, sees a market and starts using the logo (after all it is PD).

Or a famous designer decides to make jewelry using the logo (see below).

These people will have no interest in geocaching except the profit potential. How would we feel about THEM using the logo?

SMSILVER.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

And this is something we haven't yet discussed.

We are all looking at it from the point of view of geocachers. What happens if someone, say Wal-Mart, sees a market and starts using the logo (after all it is PD).

These people will have no interest in geocaching except the profit potential. How would we feel about THEM using the logo?

That's fine with me. I might buy some of it. That was kind of the idea behind a PD logo. Anyone could use and modify the base design and market it any way they like and do whatever they want with it. As it is, the only symbol/logo that geocachers have is owned by one controlling interest and that's fine. I'd like to be able to make and possibly sell, not for profit mind you, at least right now icon_smile.gif , my own stuff for geocachers around Texas without having to go to someone for 'permission'.

If it's not made public domain you're back to step one with one person/group controlling its uses and having to get approval to use the logo.

This opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Tony

--

Welcome to nowhere.nu. Now go home!

quote:

Now you are beginning to see why Jeremy has to be so careful, but I think that is the whole point of this project. We need something to use anyway we want. The more the logo gets around the more people learn what it means. If the logo takes off then someone is going to try to merchandise it to make a buck. It's human nature and more power to them, if I like the stuff I might buy some.

"Geocachers do it in the woods!" "hey man, cool shirt! What's a geocacher?"

Rusty...

OK, finally adding my 2 cents here. I'm going give my vote to the basic design of the Leatherman #1 logo....

BUT.....

I really like CR's variation of it. Just seems neater to me, I guess. It almost looks like Leatherman's is a variation of CR's, instead of the other way around. Now I just wish CR's was in a vector format my old PSP5 could handle. icon_frown.gif

Illegitimus non carborundum!

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a PD logo. I also love the G+ logo.

I just wanted to play devil's advocate and point out that there are also downsides. With all of the euphoria about getting a logo, we seem to be forgetting why PD logos are not more common (and it's not just about profits).

Logos are a small representation of the company or group that they represent. Companies that want a clean image use a clean logo. Those that want a corporate image want a corporate looking logo. Pirates prefer something menacing like a skull and crossbones. The logo becomes the public's perception of the company/group.

The only problem I have with the current G+ logo (and I'm going to take some heat for this) is that it resembles grafitti. Which I don't think is the image that we are looking for. And the first time it is spray painted on a park tree or monument will be the last time geocaching will be allowed there. (Gustaf's logo would take considerably longer to spray paint icon_wink.gif ).

Jeremy wants his logo to represent good, clean family fun, his logo reflects that, and he protects that perception. A grafitti style logo might not be the best image to project.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have a PD logo (I think we should). I'm not even saying that the G+ symbol shouldn't be used (I like it). I'm just saying that the logo will become our image, and I'm not sure what park authorities will think of the G+ design.

[/devil's advocate]

My grandmother might not know what Lucent's logo looks like, but I certainly do. Seeing it for the very first time all on its own without the name 'Lucent' associated with it... you're right, noone would know what it was for.

If that were the standard logos were measured by, though... Nike's logo would be considered a sucky logo.

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Very cool, longdogs... Have downloaded the nifty font, though I have no idea what it could be used for.

Maybe I shoulda held back before I printed my calling cards.

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

I used it to create my avatar in photoshop last night. I found it was pretty slick to be able to add text in the G+ shape to whatever graphic I want. I'm not a real skill graphic artist like we've seen demonstrations of here lately. So for me it's great. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Kouros:

Very cool, longdogs... Have downloaded the nifty font, though I have no idea what it could be used for.

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Kouros:

It makes it very quick and simple to create text based graphics like these, using a tool such as Xara 3D. It also makes it easy to use in a printed plain text document.

Geocaching9.jpg

Geocaching10.jpg

One question, though. When you write GeoCaching is it GeoCaching, or Geocaching, or always GEOCACHING. Which is preferred?

quote:

Have you considered adding other geocaching items to your True Type font? Sort of like Geocaching Wing-Dings?

I'd love to fill the font with geocaching symbols. I'll add anything anyone sends me. You can send them to me at logos@longdogs.net. Remember that it will be black and white. I can convert most image types, and can convert it to monochrome, but most color images don't look good in monochrome. Note that truetype fonts are black and white only, not grayscale or shaded.

I'll take the time this weekend to add some of the other monochrome logos.

Any suggestions for the other symbols?

I WON'T add the Groundspeak logo except with express permission from them. I also won't add it if it means restricting the use or distribution of the font. icon_eek.gif

(I don't have the time or desire to become the font-logo police.) icon_smile.gif

The perfect format for converting is monochrome about 600x600 in size. I'll have to convert it to a 2-color windows bitmap for the line tracing function of fontographer, but I can receive it in jpg, gif, png, tif, and too many others to name, and resize it if necessary. (Anything Thumbsplus can convert, which is a pretty long list.)

[This message was edited by LongDogs on October 11, 2002 at 10:21 AM.]

I give up...how in the world do I get the GX over or under text in Photoshop? Everytime I insert any graphic, it goes to the direct middle of the GX and I can't move it. I have tried layers but not sure how to accomplish what you guys have. I have some simple experience in PS (resizing photos and touching up for printing) but nothing this fancy or fun. Please don't flame me, but any help would be greatly appreciated. You can email me at chargersfan@cox.net or post off topic here, or I can start a new thread. Thanks

Skydiver, that very incredibly fast... but also quite cool.

There's a lot there that I wouldn't mind having - especially the mousepad and mugs - and a very cunning quote as well.

And the tile coaster! Oooh! I want one of them.

Hmmm, I might have to place an order with you.

Oh, the capitalist frenzy has begun!

------

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

quote:

Originally posted by skydiver:

Cummon, admit it. Deep down, you _knew_ somebody was going to

http://www.cafeshops.com/cp/store.aspx?s=geocachingpd to be the first. icon_razz.gif

Wow, I can't believe that in the other thread everybody voted against the GX logo and went with that totally new one.

icon_wink.gif Just Kidding. icon_biggrin.gif

Still, it would have been safer to see what everyone decides upon. Also, I prefer the "rustic" version of the logo.

quote:
Originally posted by LongDogs:

quote:

Originally posted by skydiver:

Cummon, admit it. Deep down, you _knew_ somebody was going to

http://www.cafeshops.com/cp/store.aspx?s=geocachingpd to be the first. icon_razz.gif

Wow, I can't believe that in the other thread everybody voted against the GX logo and went with that totally new one.

icon_wink.gif Just Kidding. icon_biggrin.gif

Still, it would have been safer to see what everyone decides upon. Also, I prefer the "rustic" version of the logo.

So then we'll have Skydiver's NEW logo store icon_wink.gif

But seriously -I don't remember seeing that quote Skydiver found for his stuff but it is excellent. That perfectly expresses my approach to caching.

- I also like the rust(y)ic version icon_biggrin.gif but all of the deriviates are just that deriviates. If the GX is chosen it doesn't matter which one is used because they are all the same thing. Anyone would recognize either version.

Rusty...