Public Domain Logos

bigredmed

In an effort to separate the logo submission and adoption discussions from the other discussions on the topic of PD geocaching logos, how about we take a few minutes to review the logos thus far submitted? Most of them are here: http://bytethebullet.com/geologo/.

I thought about posting this as a poll, but the format really didn't lend itself to the poll format.

It seems to me that we need a formal one (like the very nice ones that Gustaf developed), and an informal one so that we could cover our needs for various applications and reproduction techniques.

How about posting your favorite for each of two categories:

Formal logo

Informal logo

I will go first, Gustaf's for formal, and Longdogs solid G for the informal logo.

Its really neat to see the creativity of this group.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

Wholly Poop,

I haven't been following that thread and therefore did not realize how much has been done. I like Gustaf # 5 and 6. 6 would be my fav.

THEY ALL LOOK GREAT Good job everyone.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Confused New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

I will go first, Gustaf's for formal, and Longdogs solid G for the informal logo.

First of all, what is LongDogs Soilid G? Did I miss one?

I'm not sure it was time for a vote yet, but it might help narrow the general idea down.

Right Now, I'd vote for Leatherman #1 on both accounts, or a close resemblance (Maybe Gustaf could add Leathermans G to his design?) for these reasons:

It is easily recognizable.

It is customizable.

Works good with colors or two tone.

Can be scaled well to fit on a pin or a flag.

It can be done freehand.

It allows for an easy stencil, to paint on ammo cans/tupperware.

It would be recognizable on a coin, wood carving, crop circle, chiseled cement, crocheted item, any sig item!

Works good as a symbol on a tree, or other hidden spot ( don't holler at me for suggesting painting ot carving on trees!).

It has that rustic, natural look of getting out in the air geocaching.

The X gives you the perfect basis of a 4 panel design.

The G exterior means it could fill a coin.

It's a design that needs no words, yet allows them if desired.

Eeyore pointed a lot of these reasons out to me, I can't take full credit.

Also, when referencing names, it would be best if we used the names on my page so that we don't get confused.

[EDIT] Dumb me, I meant Leatherman #1 and wrote #2 originally. icon_wink.gif

I seriously question the sanity of somebody who uses multiple exclamation marks!!!!!

[This message was edited by brdad on October 08, 2002 at 07:31 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

First of all, what is LongDogs Soilid G? Did I miss one?

I'm not sure it was time for a vote yet, but it might help narrow the general idea down.

Right Now, I'd vote for Leatherman #1 on both accounts, or a close resemblance (Maybe Gustaf could add Leathermans G to his design?) for these reasons:

It is easily recognizable.

It is customizable.

Works good with colors or two tone.

Can be scaled well to fit on a pin or a flag.

It can be done freehand.

It allows for an easy stencil, to paint on ammo cans/tupperware.

It would be recognizable on a coin, wood carving, crop circle, chiseled cement, crocheted item, any sig item!

Works good as a symbol on a tree, or other hidden spot ( don't holler at me for suggesting painting ot carving on trees!).

It has that rustic, natural look of getting out in the air geocaching.

The X gives you the perfect basis of a 4 panel design.

The G exterior means it could fill a coin.

It's a design that needs no words, yet allows them if desired.

Eeyore pointed a lot of these reasons out to me, I can't take full credit.

Also, when referencing names, it would be best if we used the names on my page so that we don't get confused.

[EDIT] Dumb me, I meant Leatherman #1 and wrote #2 originally. icon_wink.gif

I seriously question the sanity of somebody who uses multiple exclamation marks!!!!!

[This message was edited by brdad on October 08, 2002 at 07:31 PM.]

I'd vote for Gustaf #5 for the "formal" look... it would make a great coin. It would also be way cool for one of the designs to originate from outside the U.S. It's a worldwide game.

For an informal logo, I prefer Leatherman #1 for most of the reasons Brdad and Eeyore listed above for Leatherman #2. I just think #1 is cooler. Look at what people have done with it already, customizing the basic design for Texas and Great Britain.

Keep posting new ideas and questions in the other thread, and save this one for voting. Thanks everyone!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

What would life be like if there were no hypothetical questions?

OK it is my understanding that the talented people who designed these are offering them to the public domain. If that is the case, pick the one you like and use it. THere is no reason we all have to use the same logo.

Remember, people are like GPSr's you cant even get two to agree let alone several hundred

Thats my opinion

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

OK it is my understanding that the talented people who designed these are offering them to the public domain. If that is the case, pick the one you like and use it. THere is no reason we all have to use the same logo.

Remember, people are like GPSr's you cant even get two to agree let alone several hundred

Thats my opinion

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

My favorite is Leatherman #1 followed by Mudbug's #2/3/4.

Leatherman's can be used many different ways. It's easy to handdraw, to make into a stencil, put on ammocans, etc. It would also be instantly recognizable to someone 'in the know'(i.e. if it was a sticker on a car or used to guide people to a cache location). Personally, I think I'd like to use it on my next team merchandise. Actually I'd use something along the lines of my #5 of course. icon_smile.gif

Mudbug's is better for coins. More formal and it leaves space for customization along the bottom for team names and the like.

Not to put down Gustaf. They are great designs but they won't scale to smaller sizes very well I think. Too busy at smaller sizes like pins and coins. Same for my first designs.

There are a lot of good designs and no one says we have to pick one or two. Pick one you fancy and use it. Everyone who has submitted designs seems to want something for public domain. Go for it.

Tony

Welcome to nowhere.nu. Now go home!

My favorite is Leatherman #1 followed by Mudbug's #2/3/4.

Leatherman's can be used many different ways. It's easy to handdraw, to make into a stencil, put on ammocans, etc. It would also be instantly recognizable to someone 'in the know'(i.e. if it was a sticker on a car or used to guide people to a cache location). Personally, I think I'd like to use it on my next team merchandise. Actually I'd use something along the lines of my #5 of course. icon_smile.gif

Mudbug's is better for coins. More formal and it leaves space for customization along the bottom for team names and the like.

Not to put down Gustaf. They are great designs but they won't scale to smaller sizes very well I think. Too busy at smaller sizes like pins and coins. Same for my first designs.

There are a lot of good designs and no one says we have to pick one or two. Pick one you fancy and use it. Everyone who has submitted designs seems to want something for public domain. Go for it.

Tony

Welcome to nowhere.nu. Now go home!

quote:
Originally posted by Lapaglia:

If that is the case, pick the one you like and use it. THere is no reason we all have to use the same logo.

I will keep all the original submissions available in case anyone does want to use them for whatever reasons. However, the purpose of a logo is to be recognized. Hopefully at least one other person will hold the images as well for backup purposes.

So if we could have one or two main ones, or better yet, if the advanced version could incorporate the basic one, then it would be easily recognized by other cachers. We can all associate with the geocaching.com logo when we see it, it would be nice if this one was as greatly recognized. If we didn't dcecide on one or two to be the "official" ones, we might not realize what we're looking at.

For example, you saw Acceptable Risk #1 somewhere, you probably would not associate it with geocaching. But if a good portion of us decided on it and used it, after seeing it 10 or 15 times, even in an altered state, you would know it. You could also use it and write C.A.C.H.E under, around or through it, and although the viewer might not know what the letters stood for, they would associate it with geocaching.

I've been following the other thread and missed the creation of this one.

bigredmed, as much as I'd like the credit, I didn't submit a G, solid or otherwise. I think you're talking about Leatherman's #1, which I said looked good.

One question was about how well some of them would scale and how they'd look small. Here's some samples: (And my favs, in no particular order.)

geol1_tiny.jpggeolog3e_tiny.jpgworldblue_tiny.jpglogo2_small_tiny.jpg

and for reference

GEOlogobw_tiny.jpg

brdad, I've also saved a copy of your page.

However, to really use the logos, for example on a hat or T-shirt, you are going to need a much larger original image, or ideally the original artwork in eps or other portable line art format, as well as the original native format the original designer used.

If fact, I think even for etching a die, they want line art. (eps works, I think.) Otherwise, they have an art charge for duplicating the design on their system. In fact, that goes for pretty much any use, from patch making machines, to t-shirt silkscreeners.

FWIW, I think that Leatherman's looks the best when scaled down. I also think it looks the most "fun", which, after all, is what the game is supposed to be about.

I like Gustaf #5, but it looks a little *too* formal - a bit like a scout federation logo, or something.

My formal vote therefore goes to MountainMudBug #2 - although I do not think it will scale down particularly well.

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

I'm curious as to what people are planning to make with the new logo(s) they choose. T-shirts, hats, patches, coins, stickers.... endless possibilities.

I've been working on handmade "geo-tokens" as a signature item. That's what I'm going to do with my coin design image - shown there its size is slightly smaller than a quarter.

I've already made a few with the orig. site logo, but I'm debating about dropping them in caches. I don't really see a problem with using them as they are handmade but someone might fuss.

-----------------------------------------------------------

This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

My vote would be Leatherman's #1 as well. My feeling is that there should be no motto or catchphrase, just the symbol. I'm not crazy about any of the proposed mottos, and leaving them off will allow you to customize the logo as you see fit. I'd rather not even see the word geocaching on the logo as well, it leaves a bit of mystery to it, and in time the curious will come to learn what the logo means. I think leaving the words off will allow the symbol to become popular on it's own. Also, I'm against any logo that shows a GPSr that does not look like mine, and I'm also against any logo with a flag on it. To me, a flag does not represent geocaching since I have yet to find a geocache with a flag on it.

I would like to see Gustaf #1 and Team Bohica #1 made into T-shirts.

MountianMudbug #1 and Gustaf #5 as patches.

Crusso #1 would be cool on log books or as a stamp so you could customize different store bought logs.

Maybe just because of the coloring but MountianMudbug #2 is a really cool coin.

Rusty #1 and 2 could be a designer line of GeoCaching purses and belts.bigok.gif

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Mokita!

I, too, like Leatherman #1 as the informal and Gustaf #5 as the formal logo, but I could do without any words, for the same reasons that cachew nut so aptly stated.

And I really like Mudbug #1 as a patch!

One quibble: when the US flag is displayed vertically, as it is with Mudbug #1, etiquette dictates that the field of stars be on the top left (as it would be if displayed horizontally).

Sorry to be so picky. You guys/gals are WAY talented! icon_biggrin.gif

"When the chips are down, the buffalo ate birds."

I, too, like Leatherman #1 as the informal and Gustaf #5 as the formal logo, but I could do without any words, for the same reasons that cachew nut so aptly stated.

And I really like Mudbug #1 as a patch!

One quibble: when the US flag is displayed vertically, as it is with Mudbug #1, etiquette dictates that the field of stars be on the top left (as it would be if displayed horizontally).

Sorry to be so picky. You guys/gals are WAY talented! icon_biggrin.gif

"When the chips are down, the buffalo ate birds."

Ok, if we really have to vote now,

Informal: Leatherman #1 (and Sissy-n-CR #1a)

Formal: Gustaf #5 and MountainMudBug #2/3/4

Althought I'd love to see the informal logo incorporated into a formal one before we decide.

I consider Sissy-n-CR #1a (the left one) to be the same as Leatherman #1, just formalized. Either is recognizable as the same logo.

MountainMudBug #2,#3, and #4 are really the same one, with just variations in the coloring.

Gustaf #5 still appeals to me too, especially when used on a large medium.

Groover #2 to #4 also have potential, as they look very customizable.

Hi everybody,

i would like Gustaf #6 as formal logo, but i would leave out the black pin and add the trail from Team Bohica #4. What about the text: "The world is our Playground"??

Sissy-n-CR #1 would be great for informal logo because it can be handdrawn.

Sincerly, SIGINT

If we are voting, I have to go with Leatherman #1 as my favorite. It's very easy to draw and customize for many uses. Here's a couple quick mods that keep the GX in tact. As long as we're voting, is it a 'GX' or an 'XG'? I see it as a G first, then the X. Seeing as it's supposed to be for geocaching, wouldn't it make sense to have the G first?

txgeoflag.jpgleathermud.jpg

There's a million uses.

GX or XG? I dunno. When I wrote GX the first time it reminded me of a motorcycle designation-- like GXSR--so I reversed it. But, really, I don't think it matters. I'll probably type XG as my preference though.

As for voting on my entries, they are only varients of Leatherman's entry, so I'd have to say a vote for me is a vote for Leatherman. icon_wink.gif

CR

GX or XG? I dunno. When I wrote GX the first time it reminded me of a motorcycle designation-- like GXSR--so I reversed it. But, really, I don't think it matters. I'll probably type XG as my preference though.

As for voting on my entries, they are only varients of Leatherman's entry, so I'd have to say a vote for me is a vote for Leatherman. icon_wink.gif

CR

My vote is for Leatherman's #1 - I don't need a formal one although several would make nice reverses on a coin.

MiGO_state_geo.jpg

Rusty...

PS: I have a hi-res version of it (Leatherman's design w/o the MiGO stuff) in .ai Illustrator or .psd Photoshop if anyone is interested. Could also convert to any other format if needed.

--------------------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends cache locationless!

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

Michigan Geocaching Organization

I just wanted to pipe-in and say that Leatherman's #1 logo is also very easy to duplicate in the various icon editor programs for GPSRs, such as the Meridicon editor. So his symbol has the potential to be used that way as well.

I also like the designs by Gustaf and Mountain Mudbug.

Rusty, it would be great if you could get your high-res version of the logo to brdad for posting on his web space. Or, just share it with me so I can create the LepreLogo!!! E-mail either of us through the site to obtain real e-mail addresses. Thanks for offering.

Your MiGO logo ROCKS.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

What would life be like if there were no hypothetical questions?

Just like baseball, football, hockey, soccer etc...That said, go nuts with whatever you think is OK. I'll make a Cape thingy, but I don't want to tread on any toes. I think that we've all spent time on the "J-man's" space enough so a logo of his at the bottom of personal sites is due. At least...

ie; baseball on Cape Cod: not a problem, Cape Cod Baseball League: BIG problem... Football on a national league: OK, NFL: not OK...

You get the picture.

Very cool and patriotic use of the logo! I am getting more and more amazed how versatile this submission can be!

I have uploaded the high resolution versions to my page as well, as links under the Leatherman #1.

Last night as I lay in bed looking at the stars I thought 'Where the hell is the ceiling'?

Wow LongDogs, those are cool. Especially the wooden one, that would be a easy sig item made with a chunk of maple and a scrollsaw!

I know yesterday I was stating taking our time, but maybe we should at least vote if Leatherman's #1 or a variation of it should be included in our design? We are getting so many good variations of it and most of the submissions coming in now are variations, seems like that is the way we are heading. later today I will probably make a seperate page of variations of Leatherman #1 because of this.

Last night as I lay in bed looking at the stars I thought 'Where the hell is the ceiling'?

You know another one I like? geospotter #1, it's nice and simple as well.

As for my cleaned up version of XG, if you want a vector format, here it is in AI and EPS formats. I know they are pretty much the same thing, but Corel sometimes exports a not-so-compatible file. I'm using 10 now, so hopefully they will work.

Now, as for the animated GIF, I like the small one that looks for gold or brass. Kind of like "going for the brass ring" thing. I like it!

CR

I suppose I should explain why you haven't seen anything original from me. I haven't had much time as I've got a couple of projects going here at the house, but the biggest thing is my stepson had surgery yesterday. He got sucker punched by some huge kid and broke several bones in his face. Looks like he's gonna be okay, now, just have to wait for the swelling to go down to see that his eyesight isn't effected.

So you can imagine, it's been hard to concentrate. The forums here have been a good distraction--it's not good to dwell on things sometimes. But now that the worse is over with, I can catch up at work and maybe submit something on par with leatherman's excellent entry.

CR