Would you let cache numbers influence a move?

Geo-Johnson's

I've been thinking about this for a few days, and thought I'd pose the question to you folks.

Have you, or would you let the number of caches in a particular area influence where you would move? When we do a search in our zip code, we come up with 370 caches within our 100 mile radius. My husband recently went to Salem Oregon for a week and had me do a zip code search there. We came up with 750 caches within the 100 mile radius..... icon_eek.gif Holy cow!! I've never been to heaven, but with 750 some-odd caches, it seems like Salem would be pretty close to it.......So if you had to relocate for some reason, would you do a search to find out how many caches are there before making your decision?

worried.gif Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

tee hee...

Where I used to live, B.G. (before geocaching) is now a 500+ caches within 100 miles area.

Where I live now, is just now at the 300 level.

I don't think it would influence where I live...you can "grow" caching in an area by placing caches and encouraging new players.

It *would* probably influence where I went on vacation though, if it was a caching vacation (is there any other kind?). I recently had to complete one more flight segment before November 5th to get a free round-trip airline ticket, so I found the cheapest city I could fly to (Jacksonville, $34) with the most nearby caches and had a really fun saturday caching my brains out until it was time to catch the flight back.

The first thing I did, and I mean the VERY first thing, when I found out we MIGHT be moving from SoCal to PA was a zipcode search. Hubby was transferred, so we had no choice of where to go, but it made me very happy to see that we had about a thousand caches within 100 miles of our new home!

Just about anywhere I moved, just random selection would almost ensure a higher concentration of caches. Right now, there are 42 caches within a 100 mile radius of me, 38 of which I've already found or placed myself. Nearest unfound is 79 miles now.

But back to the question at hand, no, geocache density would probably not be a major factor in where I moved. I'm used to traveling for them now. This past Monday I made a roughly 350 mile round trip to hit 7 caches.

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

I would think that going into an area with not very many caches would be a great chance for a GeoCacher to hide quite a bit of them themselves while exposing new people to the sport. There are almost 400 in the Columbus 100 mile search which I think is plenty for most people. I feel there is even a community of cachers in the area due the fact that most of us have hidden our own caches so we get to read what people thought of it and we can let others know what we think of theirs. I've run ino cachers in the field and we'll know each other by certain caches the other has hidden. So it's kind of good to know that people are going to look out for you, your cache, etc. So going into uncharted area will not only give you a chance to explore it and find spots for others to enjoy, but to grow awareness for the sport on a personal basis. Just my 2 cents. icon_biggrin.gif

imurevenge.gif

Feral cacher

I'm retiring from the military in less than a year and am in the process of interviewing for what I want to do when I grow up. We've hunted caches in every place I've interviewed.

Last weekend, I had a frustrating geocaching experience - my husband downloaded the first 5 caches listed for one city and two of them were from the same cacher. Unfortunately, about the only information given about the caches was along the lines of "You should know how I like to hide things. Be prepared."

While I don't think this will ultimately factor into my decision on that particular opportunity, it was a bit frustrating to go 0 for 3 when I'd previously found every cache I'd ever looked for. (Note to self: looking for microcaches in 6" deep leaves is a losing proposition)

I will say that successful finds in other cities probably did add to my favorable impressions of the locations. But I wouldn't be discouraged by relatively few caches. Last year about this time, I think there were 4 caches within 25 miles of where I live & maybe 20 within 100 miles. Now it is more like 10 times that many. Geo-caching is showing explosive growth, and almost everyone I've mentioned it to is intrigued by the idea. I haven't yet run into a fellow cacher while looking for a cache, but I am sure that will become more and more common.

- Sue

quote:
Originally posted by Tomebug:

The first thing I did, and I mean the VERY first thing, when I found out we MIGHT be moving from SoCal to PA was a zipcode search. Hubby was transferred, so we had no choice of where to go, but it made me very happy to see that we had about a thousand caches within 100 miles of our new home!

Like Pokemon, you've "Gotta Catch'em All?"

My answer is also "no." Having paid for private school for the past 7 years, my priority would be an excellent public school system.

I probably would. I've moved for less of a reason.

But in reality, I think I'm finally almost grown up and pretty settled in a house that may someday be my inheritance (of course with 4 other siblings I'd have to share), so I think I'm staying put for a while. We're pretty esconced in here now. But definitely yes on influencing the vacation. Actually every cache is like a mini vacation.

Cache you later,

Planet

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

We live in an area with great quantity of caches. There are 1,410 caches within 100 miles and 149 within 30 miles. We have found well over 100 off these caches

Last September we vacationed in the Adirondacks in northern New York State. A location with only 244 caches within 100 miles and 18 within 30 miles. For quality, three of our best five caches were within the Adirondacks, where we found only six.

Of course there are many different definitions of quality, and I am sure few cachers will agree with ours. If we were to move, should we consider good quantity or good quality?

Added thought - Best quality cache Arrgg! Refugee Cove in geocache friendly Cape Chignecto Provincial Park, Nova Scotia, Canada.