Am I Paranoid? Opinions Needed

umc

I was just curious to know if I'm paranoid or not when it comes to GeoCaching. I sometimes feel as though 'nobody outside of this community should know about what we do....shhhhh keep it a secret'

I think there is some reason for this such as keeping the caches a secret so no 'outsiders' ruin it. What about keeping the community quiet, is it just un-validated fear that it will get to big and commercialized? Is promoting really ok? Am I just a paranoid nut with no clue?

Ok don't answer the last one we already know the answer to that icon_biggrin.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Yes, but I kind of agree with you. Look at the Jehovah's Witnesses, there are supposed to be 144,000 chosen few, but there are millions in that club now. I'm not picking on the Witnesses, just trying to make a point, no hate mail please. I sometimes want to shut my mouth, and tell no one, but I get so enthusiastic about geocaching that I can't help myself! But, hey, I've only been doing this since April, 2002 so I'm relatively new to this also. I was a good candidate for this; my nickname was already Planet, I've been picking up litter since I was a kid, I like hiking and the great outdoors, and I had a friend with a GPSr.

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

I was just curious to know if I'm paranoid or not when it comes to GeoCaching. I sometimes feel as though 'nobody outside of this community should know about what we do....shhhhh keep it a secret'

I think there is some reason for this such as keeping the caches a secret so no 'outsiders' ruin it. What about keeping the community quiet, is it just un-validated fear that it will get to big and commercialized? Is promoting really ok? Am I just a paranoid nut with no clue?

Ok don't answer the last one we already know the answer to that icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

Yes, you are paranoid. No question. Join the club! icon_eek.gif

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

I think comunication with key agency's like the police, will serve us well in the end. mtn-man just told me of some cases where the police and bomb squad were called and inspite of the guy saying he put it there and what was in it and showing them the web site, they still blew it up! It would seem like educating the paranoid in advance would serve us well in the end.

This may be difficult.

I remember seeing on TV in about 96' some DC cops roust some sleeping homeless guy and he of course, being woke up roughly, stumbles to his feet groggy and at the same time pulls a little knife. In his world where other homeles would rough you up or kill you for your socks this makes sense. What didnt make sense was when the 2 police 20+ feet away infront of him and the 2 police 20+ feet behind him, shot him to protect themselves from his little 3" knife.

I always wondered why it never made national news.

quote:
Originally posted by Ish-n-Isha:

some DC cops roust some sleeping homeless guy and he of course, being woke up roughly, stumbles to his feet groggy and at the same time pulls a little knife. In his world where other homeles would rough you up or kill you for your socks this makes sense. What didnt make sense was when the 2 police 20+ feet away infront of him and the 2 police 20+ feet behind him, shot him to protect themselves from his little 3" knife.

I always wondered why it never made national news.

Not to long ago some terrorists hijacked some planes with box cutters. Which have half inch blades.

If the police were waking up the bum how could they be 20+ feet away?

The bum had to do something more menacing than hold a knife and stand there.

A court precedence has been made. A man can rush sixteen to twenty feet in one second.

No intelligent person would expect anyone to get stabbed before they can shot.

As for the liberal media. The bum would have to be black and the police white. Who would have beaten the bum before they shot him four times.

That would go national.

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Hello, you've reached the geocaching psychiatric hotline. If you are obsessive/compulsive, press 1 repeatedly. If you have multiple personalities, press 2, 3, 4, and 5. If you are simply paranoid, just stay on the line - we know who you are.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

I keep missing my ex-wife. But my aim is getting better.

ROFLMAO, That is soooooo darn funny I almost soiled myself. Thanks for the good laugh this morning, I'm going to need it for this long Friday.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

"Not to long ago some terrorists hijacked some planes with box cutters. Which have half inch blades.

If the police were waking up the bum how could they be 20+ feet away?

The bum had to do something more menacing than hold a knife and stand there.

A court precedence has been made. A man can rush sixteen to twenty feet in one second.

No intelligent person would expect anyone to get stabbed before they can shot."

You seem to be making assumptions.

I saw the footage, it seems you did not. Did I say I expected the police get stabbed before they could act? No. If you were 20 feet away from a guy groggy from sleep and you and your 3 partners had your guns out, would you feel scared? Would it take a full second for your brain to send a signal to your finger to pull the trigger?

quote:

If you were 20 feet away from a guy groggy from sleep and you and your 3 partners had your guns out, would you feel scared? Would it take a full second for your brain to send a signal to your finger to pull the trigger?

You may have seen the drama that is called footage. Maybe even live footage. There was most certainly a spin on the story.

Enough of a spin to convince you that the bum was GROGGY. Enough too lead you to believe that the bum wasn't faking sleep.

Do you know the full story? I dought it. Even if you saw The Footage.

39197_400.jpg

quote:

You seem to be making assumptions.

I saw the footage, it seems you did not. Did I say I expected the police get stabbed before they could act? No. If you were 20 feet away from a guy groggy from sleep and you and your 3 partners had your guns out, would you feel scared? Would it take a full second for your brain to send a signal to your finger to pull the trigger?

If I had watched it on TV, I probably would have thought differently as well.

But If I had been there, I would have had these quick thoughts:

1. Suspect appears to be sleepy and incoherant. No proof he is.

2. Suspect appears to only have a knife. No idea what he intends to do with it and no proof that's the only weapon he has.

3. Suspect knows exactly what he is thinking and what his next move will be. I have no idea.

4. Suspect could easily gain the upper hand if I don't think clearly and remember the preceding thoughts.

It's so easy to see something on TV and say that you'd know how you would have handled the situation.

20 feet is not far when the opposer has a knife AND knows what he is thinking, and the only weapon you have is a gun.

On my first day of school my parents dropped me off at the wrong nursery. There I was...surrounded by trees and bushes.

No harm intended. Hope to see you on the trail someday leatherman!

The sequence of events went like this.

1. Cops come into frame walking towards sleeping guy, knowing they were going to roust him.

(I guessed here because they didn’t walk up to him and stand around and decide what they were going to do. They walked straight up to him and with their hands on the tops of their holsters, in preparation, they prodded him with their toes)

after getting a response and realizing he wasn’t passed out cold, they backed away to a distance.

2. The guy stumbles up in a defensive posture. He did have a knife. He may have had it in his hand all the time I don’t know. his back was to the camera when he stood.

3. The police saw the knife and called for backup, which was seconds away.

4. 2 more police run to backup the others with their guns ready.

5. The man hears them run up. He looks over his shoulder to see them as they are shouting for him to lie back down.

6. He turns his head toward front again and one of the police shoot him.

[This message was edited by Ish-n-Isha on September 20, 2002 at 03:44 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
always wondered why it never made national news.

My guess is that the both the cops and the bum were of the same race. Makes a difference ya know.

For about one day (which should be evident by the fact that it was observed by the original poster on the news...). An acquaintance of mine was the prosecutor when the cops were tried and convicted.

Just thought I'd throw in that historical footnote.

On a more jovial side...What's the difference between a bad golfer and a bad skydiver? The bad golfer goes, "WHACK! Dammit." The bad skydiver goes "Dammit. WHACK!"

Comic relief done. On with the discussion.

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

Yes, onward

So Does this mean that the cops were paranoid or the bum was paranoid for thinking the cops were going to steal his shopping cart? Now I'm starting to fear that this is a conspiracy. Are you guys talking in code right now about how to get 'umc'? Like If he pulls a knife just shoot, if not lets just get his cache? I haven't placed a cache yet so you don't have to talk in code or worry about it. Come on lets move on. icon_confused.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

back on topic (I think)

As long as I'm in the middle of logging a cache in the field I will be paranoid of being found whether its by a hiker or a father thinkning I'm smacking it, I have good reason to be paranoid and the current threads prove that. As far as letting people know about "Our Thing" I will be more laxed on that since its ok.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

umc, our records indicate that you are WAY overdue for your ritalin. We are watching you.

-- The Gray Silent Ones

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

I keep missing my ex-wife. But my aim is getting better.

Did you just say that I'm spamming these boards because I will tell you that I am helping my fellow GeoCachers every way I can and not spamming. Haaaa, I can't believe you would say such a thing. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

To quote PlanetYes, but I kind of agree with you. Look at the Jehovah's Witnesses, there are supposed to be 144,000 chosen few, but there are millions in that club now. I'm not picking on the Witnesses, just trying to make a point, no hate mail please.

No hate mail...just a correction.

The vast majority of Jehovah's Witnesses have the hope of inheriting everlasting life on a restored paradise earth, which was God's original purpose for the earth. Even though our first parents, Adam and Eve, rebelled against Jehovah's right to rule, that original purpose has not changed. Gen 1:27-31 Isaiah 55:11. Jehovah has allowed man over six thousand years to live independantly from his rule to prove conclusively that man, apart from him, cannot adequately care for the earth and himself. As is evident with the increase in lawlessness and nuclear and biological threats, to name a few (Jeremiah 10:23). To redeem faithful mankind, Jehovah provided his son, 'the firstborn of all creation' to buy back what Adam forefited. Jesus inturn made a covenant with "a little flock" made up of a limited number, who would rule with him to restore the earth to what God originally intended for faithful humankind. That "little flock" was to number 144,000 and would be chosen from the time of Jesus to today. Whereas there would be a "Great crowd, which no man could number" "comming out of the Great Tribulation". This Great Crowd would enter into that cleansed earth. Luke 12:32,Luke 22:29, Rev 5:10,7:4,9,14.

Hope this clears up some of the paranoia icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by FangFour2:

This Great Crowd would enter into that cleansed earth. Luke 12:32,Luke 22:29, Rev 5:10,7:4,9,14.

Hope this clears up some of the paranoia icon_wink.gif

Might jump out of the bushs and thump me with a bible. Maybe move everyone to a camp in the jungle for some coolaid.

goodnevil.gif

39197_400.jpg