Signature Items

quote:
Originally posted by mudda:

I'm trying to think of a cool signature item to leave in the caches I find. Anyone have a good idea?

cache me if you can

Bought a bunch of these pencils online with different sayings on them. But they are too long for a lot of cache boxes and I am all most out of the 72 I purchased.

So I started making my own wooden tokens. I buy the wood circles at Michaels since it is the only place I have been able to find them. I then stamp them with a stamp I bought that covers one side. I then number them place a quote on the back and put them in sports cards baggies. Place a small sheet of paper inside that explains what it is and tape it up.

Forgot to change the camera settings so these are blurry but you still make them out.

33476_1800.jpg

beatnik

Those are all great ideas! Thank you so much. I'm getting ready to start making up my first cache to hide. I'm still trying to decide on where to hide it. I wanted to make up some signiture items to leave there plus some regular cache items. This will help a lot. Thanks again!

cache me if you can

My signature item is spilling the cache contents all over the ground and then taking the container to give to friends as wedding presents. just joking. I don't have a signature item unless you count all of my footprints from me wandering around.

I don't seek. I find.

-Pablo Picasso

burnout.gif

I've seen posts that people leave coins (like Beatnik), pins, badges, stamps, carved wooden-items, beaded items (like GEOCACHING bracelets), or other crafty things. I've never found anything like that, just McToys, dice, leaky batteries, etc, but then I've only found ~40 caches.

I've taken to leaving small vinyl astronauts or space shuttles. Is that a signature item if it's not an original thing like a coin or a crafty item?

quote:
I've taken to leaving small vinyl astronauts or space shuttles. Is that a signature item if it's not an original thing like a coin or a crafty item?

Sure it is. I know a cacher who puts little pewter frogs in caches as her signature item.

beatnik

I have been leaving silver bullion coins from the USA, Mexico, and Canada.

Starting next weekend, my signature item will be Morgan dollars, and Walking Liberty half dollars, with a smattering of Buffalo/Indian nickels thrown in......

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

strobe.jpg

I purchased about 150 of these safety strobe lights and use them as my signature item after taking them out of the package and applying my email address to them. They have a clip to attach to a belt or other garment. They are LED lights, so the included cheapo batteries should last a good while. Kids and grown-up kids both seem to enjoy getting them. I understood from a previous thread that a signature item was supposed to ID you, so that is why I put my email on them

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win,

and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service

When I first read about signature Items...I knew what I wanted MINE to be....

My Cyberstation has those die-cast Pencil sharpeners surrounding it...You know the ones they look like a brass toy....So for my few finds I left regular pencil sharpeners cause I couldn't find a supplier for the Die-cast ones.....Well I now have them....

Look for them in caches I now visit....

There is nothing like a Packrat who is a geocacher.

quote:

I'm trying to think of a cool signature item to leave in the caches I find. Anyone have a good idea?

Check out these sites that have pics of a variety of signature items folks leave in caches:

http://www.wengren.com/geocaching/SignImg.html

There was another site that had a huge number of items, he wrote me and asked if he could use a picture of mine on his site. And of course I do not remember who or where. But it is outthere. :-)

quote:
Originally posted by beatnik:

quote:

Sure it is. I know a cacher who puts little pewter frogs in caches as her signature item.

beatnik

This is TRUE! (Ramp & Frog) - And the little pewter frog I got out of "Stumped" is MY MOST PRIZE treasure of all, because it was so diffucult to get (3 tries and 5 hours.)

I will never give up my pewter frog!

--majicman

quote:
Originally posted by RedShoesGirl:

There was another site that had a huge number of items, he wrote me and asked if he could use a picture of mine on his site. And of course I do not remember who or where. But it is outthere. :-)

RedShoesGirl, how could you forget about me and my team's home page? icon_frown.gif (Oh, how sad it is to be forgotten by the desert people.)

FISUR

Rhode Island Geocaching

Beatnik, I went with your idea and made some geotokens since I had most of the stuff to make them. I am an avid scrapbooker, so my house kind of looks like a Michaels store! I took a picture of the ones I made to show you, but I don't really know how to add a picture. I'll try to. Let me know what you think. I hope you don't mind me using your idea. I knew I wanted to make something by hand.

cache me if you can

quote:
Originally posted by FISUR:

quote:
Originally posted by RedShoesGirl:

There was another site that had a huge number of items, he wrote me and asked if he could use a picture of mine on his site. And of course I do not remember who or where. But it is out there. :-)

RedShoesGirl, how could you forget about me and my team's home page? icon_frown.gif (Oh, how sad it is to be forgotten by the desert people.)

http://www.geocities.com/team_fisur

I didn't forget about you, I just forgot where you were! Us poor desert people, our brains are fried — but it is a dry heat!

quote:

The only way I know how to show the picture is to put it on my profile page. If you want to see it, it's on there. icon_rolleyes.gif

cache me if you can

Looks good to me. I sure don't have a patent on it or anything. People have been making wooden nickels and tokens for years. They even have a museum devoted to them. icon_biggrin.gif

beatnik

That is a bit steeper than I'd be willing to go, but I geuss it would depend on what you could afford and the numbers that you accumulate. It costs me about 2.25 for my totem pouches. If I was a cacher like BruceS or Stayfloopy I'd never be able to afford it but at my cache rate it works for me. You could also do something special for the caches you hide and have a lesser version for the caches you find. But really it all depends on what you can afford.

I wouldn't call it a signature item, but we have taken to leaving these removable/reusable window decals in some of the caches. We make these at home. They are about 3in X 3in and are placed inside the window, to be viewed from the outside.

geodecal.jpg

[This message was edited by Team Soaring on April 27, 2003 at 08:21 PM.]

I've been making these magnets, and stick them to the inside of the lid of ammo cans. I use the self adhesive Business card magnets $6 for 25 (get 2 magnets per), laminate the front with clear shipping tape and stick the magnets to the back, then cut them out with an X-acto knife.

107436_1100.jpg

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures

If you start caching near me, let me suggest autographed $100 bills...

My sig items are pencils that either read "Web-ling found this cache" (regular pencils) or "Web-ling was here" (golf pencils). Nothing fancy, but at the rate I find caches, I needed something cheap...

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

Used to put arrowheads in my first dozen or so, but found that little round rocks were easier to find and paint up as ladybugs. Someone suggested that I glue magnets to them, and they have been going out of caches almost as fast as I place them. IMHO signature items show a little of the personality of the cacher and thus have a little more value.

108896_700.jpg

Deer laugh when they hear my name!

http://www.geocities.com/ihunts

quote:

From reviewing my logs from the Signature Cache, it would seem that any personalized item will work. One thing you might think about is a singature label. I made some of these for the cache so people could leave an item with a label on it if they didn't have a signature item of their own. The labels are easy to make with an inkjet printer, mailing labels, and the PD Geocaching logos available.

With these, you could put a sheet of labels in your pack and use what ever item struck your fancy. This would avoid having an item that was either too big or inappropriate for the cache.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

Well I have been leaving chunks of Silver Lake points my younger brother picks up for me.

These items could be pieces of arrowheads, spearpoints, stone tools or even reworked arrowheads or tools.

I just stick them in small plastic bags, place a note as to what they are and where they came from.

Sounds like a chunk of rock to most people but these items can be valued anywhere from $1-$2 to over $20 each.

logscaler.

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnlady:

Used to put arrowheads in my first dozen or so, but found that little round rocks were easier to find and paint up as ladybugs. Someone suggested that I glue magnets to them, and they have been going out of caches almost as fast as I place them. IMHO signature items show a little of the personality of the cacher and thus have a little more value.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/108896_700.jpg

Deer laugh when they hear my name!

http://www.geocities.com/ihunts

All sig. items so far have been great, but I really like the lady bug fridge magnet theme.

That's soooo cool!! We'd like to come across some.

For what it's worth I (we) leave mining stickers and Dale Earnhardt cards with our other items.

quote:
Originally posted by Casey's Crew:

quote:
Originally posted by Team Soaring:

I wouldn't call it a signature item, but we have taken to leaving these removable/reusable window decals in some of the caches. We make these at home.

I have to ask: how do you make them at home? I'd love to be able to make those.

We make them on our printer using Photoshop, clear decal paper from Invent it and then painting the print side white so they will show up better. They aren't difficult, just takes a little practice and trial and error to get them right. Send me email if you have more questions.

Team Soaring

quote:
Originally posted by honeychile:

I make 2.25" buttons (and also sell them http://bumblebuttons.com). They're small, lightweight, flat, and fit in most caches. Whenever I place a new cache, I make up a dozen custom buttons especially for the cache. It's fun to make custom buttons for events, too, and adds a little something special to the occasion.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/52813_3100.gif

And she does a very good job on them and you get them FAST. I just got mine and will be ordering more. They make great sig items.

icon_mad.gifFormer EarthNOlink user!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif

icon_biggrin.gifTake a chance or you'll never know. Let your spirits soar! icon_wink.gif

I like the idea of custom poker chips made ala "crusso". See thread it its coming out to be around .85 a piece, the only problem is you need to order quite a few, 300 pcs for an initial order.

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=7316058331&m=4486013151&r=4986013151#4986013151&s=5726007311&f=7316058331&m=4486013151&r=4986013151#4986013151

Doublestuff-TOC