? for those who bicycle with their GPS

Life Journey

I finally broke down and bought the Garmin bike mount for my yellow etrex. Are these things stable?

I haven't tried it yet, but I have a handlebar mounted flashing light and I've already had that thing fly off and hit the ground. I am not mountain biking - this is just hitting good old potholes in the streets of my neightborhood!

Should I maybe hook a lanyard to the etrex also and tie that down - or is this thing really going to hold?

"I took the road less travelled by, and that has made all the difference"

LJ - I also have the bike mount for my Venture and can say that, without a doubt, the GPSr will stay in there. I use mine for mountain biking and have crashed many times and ridden thru some rough terrain with no loosening of the unit. I have the lanyard attached to my GPSr and wrap that around the handlebars 'just in case' and to get it out of the way...

Happy pedaling...

I tour with panniers so I have front and rear racks. I mount my map case across the two front bags and just bungee my GPSr on top of the maps.

Looks a little strange but I have yet to loose anything. (And my Bic antennae works just fine like that) icon_rolleyes.gif

ingeo-button2.gifbad_boy_a.gifpuke.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

my vista stays on the bike handlebars very well. and i ride rough terrain. sometimes i prefer to use the clip on mount and wear it on my shoulder. i'm a gear whore, so the more mounts, the better. i have a sad, sad life.

this compulsion about gear extends into my life in bicycles and music. i mean really, who abosolutely HAS to have four guitars? and a french horn... several clarinets... two mountain bikes....

-====)) -))))))))))))

presta schrader

Yes.

Just adding another stable response--my yellow hangs tight and has never flinched when off-trail or on. I don't lanyard on the bike as it can't slip out of my hands!

(From a physical standpoint, the screw-on part is going to hold as tight as you screw it, the attachment into the battery compartment can't come loose without manipulating it correctly. IE, vibration won't do it. You'd have to snag it on something the right size to fit in the recess and pull backward then twist 90 degs. and pull out.)

How's that going to happen?

Rest assured,

Randy

I've used the Garmin mount as well as the Meridian mount on my bike. Everyone here has said they've had no problems, and I'll only echo that.

I will say that even though I like the compact design of the eTrex mount (and the small GPS itself), I feel a lot better using the Meridian mount.

The eTrex mount seems more likely to damage the GPS during a crash since the GPS itself is part of the mounting mechanism. The Meridian mount on the other hand is a full-sized cradle. I imagine under stress, the GPS would be fine and only the mount would be damaged.

Has anyone had their eTrex "break" off the mount during a crash, or otherwise?

Jamie

Anyone had any problem with vibration/shock. I've thought about handlebar mount but it doesn't seem like a wise idea on my old-school suspension-less bike.

Thought about rigging up some sort of 'shock-absorbing' mount on my own but procrastination is my middle name.

I just know how jostled I can get on a bike - can't be too good for a sensitive device like a GPSr.

Any ideas?

quote:
Originally posted by maleki:

Anyone had any problem with vibration/shock[?] I've thought about handlebar mount but it doesn't seem like a wise idea on my old-school suspension-less bike.

My road bike doesn't have shocks, and while I might not be riding the trails, some roads I've ridden on give me some major jolts... and often I'm probably going faster than you might be riding on a trail. I didn't have any issues with my Meridian--although your concern about jostling an expensive piece of electronic equipment is valid.

I'm not sure what you could put together for a shock-absorbing mount. I think unless it was really well designed, it'd tend to bounce around making it hard to read even on level terrain.

Jamie