Is parking part of it?

quote:
Originally posted by evilrooster:

Hey, not all of us drive...not a requirement, but if you're setting an urban cache, public transport information can be dead handy.

I like to provide parking coordinates and public transportation info if appropriate. See cache below. I also wish that the cache hide form provide a parking coordinate that could also be downloaded with the GC waypoint if cache hider wanted to provide it. A PK#### for the GC####.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=24507

We think parking areas/spots should not be part of the search. In the caches we place, we let people know where we parked when we placed the cache. Others might be able to find easier ways to the cache which is great! Good for them! Our caches are placed a little ways away from the parking area and have a decent hike in to find it. We think the fun of finding a cache is on foot, not driving back and forth or looking at maps for a place to park. Not many people have caches within walking distance from their homes so nearly everyone will be using a car to Geocache. We don't want to waste time finding parking! We want to get to the parking spot/area and have a nice walk/hike (or maybe not so nice, depending on bug level!). Geocaching begins when you park the car, take out the backpack, spray yourself with Ben's, rub in the Ivy Block and hope you don't step in a wasps nest! More time in car=bad! More time outside=GOOD!! Just our opinion. Just tell us where to get out of the car to begin our adventure!!!!!!

ps--Just began letterboxing and WOW! it's pretty fun too!!

In the eight caches I've hidden,

For two of them, I've given instructions because the ''obvious'' parking spot is behind a strip mall, which is trespassing on private property.

For one of them, I've given instructions to avoid cachers having to try to execute a dangerous U-turn on a 55 MPH blind curve

For one of them, I mention the parking lot because of posted rules against trespassing after hours at the entrance to the lot

For one of them, I mention two possible parking locations, because the easiest, closest one is also the least scenic

Two of them didn't need parking instructions, because any map would've made it blindingly obvious

And the last of the eight didn't need parking instructions, because it was a drive/park/drive/park multi-cache (which has been archived, in part because those kind of caches are kind of lame)

"Why don't you just ask somebody?"

"No, no. I've got a map. Don't worry about that."

It appears this is personal preference. On some I like to look for where to park. On others I don't want to and just tell me where so I can find the cache. At times after searching I want the big spotlight on the cache showing me where it is! It falls in to you won't make everyone happy. I do believe that should it be a difficult area you should list parking or give some hints.

I put parking coordinates on one of my caches because I didn't want people parking on a private road. I also described the spot so you would know the right place without using the coords. Other than trespassing or danger issues I will find my own spot to park, thank you.

The challange of finding a spot to park is the only thing that makes some of those park-and-grab caches worth messing with.

Rusty...

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

The challange of finding a spot to park is the only thing that makes some of those park-and-grab caches worth messing with.

I didn't know part of geocaching was parking. I thought parking was just another cost of car use. Since I bicycle to many caches, I guess I'm missing out. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

I didn't know part of geocaching was parking. I thought parking was just another cost of car use. Since I bicycle to many caches, I guess I'm missing out. icon_wink.gif

I'm not for sure about the rest of the country but around the Dallas/Fort Worth area we have linear parks that literally wind through the town. There is no parking spaces/lots at all. I'm not for sure what the deal is icon_confused.gif. Maybe they are just for the people that lives in close proximity. There are a couple of caches locally that appear fairly easy but I'm still trying to find a (legal) place to park.

I'm not for sure about the rest of the country but around the Dallas/Fort Worth area we have linear parks that literally wind through the town. There is no parking spaces/lots at all. I'm not for sure what the deal is icon_confused.gif. Maybe they are just for the people that lives in close proximity. There are a couple of caches locally that appear fairly easy but I'm still trying to find a (legal) place to park.

crr003, I think your answer - quoted here, was the most succinct and perhaps one of the best. Now I'll be less succinct and mention some of the other points made which I thought ought to be considered in any solution or choice on this matter. Great initial post, btw.

1. possibility of tresspassing

2. potential hazards

3. possibility of hider making it longer or shorter than it needs to be.

4. so what, it's ultimately up to the cache hider

Oh, and off topic... Kudos to bigeddy for using the word, "quixotic" in a post.

Damaxx

quote:
Originally posted by crr003:

If the coords for parking aren't there, someone will complain. If they are there someone will complain (it seems).

Put them there and one group is satisfied and the other group can ignore them.