Stealth Cachers?

Anybody notice the prescence of stealth cachers in their caches? Like, someone who makes no entry in either the logbook or the web page, but leaves a signature item in the cache to mark their visit?

I suspect this type of activity at one of my caches and wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

Is this type of activity ethical? Moral? Could it possibly be condoned?

Let's hear it.

jbandersen

[This message was edited by JBAndersen on May 06, 2003 at 09:34 PM.]

For some of us, it's the thrill of the hunt, for others, racking up a large number of hides, or finds, or travel bugs--we have all found different ways to enjoy this sport, and our ways are as individual as we are. As long is someone else's method of legally enjoying this pastime doesn't adversely effect your enjoyment, I say let it be. No matter what technique we use to go geocaching, whether it be to find more than anyone else, or place more, or find more bugs, or just to leave a signature item without signing the log, it at least gets us out of the house to enjoy spending time in the outdoors instead of staying in and becoming a bunch of pasty-skinned techno-geeks.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."--Calvin

MnGCA-Button.gif

quote:
Originally posted by 15Tango:

I say let it be.

Granted, those are words of wisdom.icon_biggrin.gif However, IMO it would be to say the least polite to honor the cache owner by signing the logbook - preferably also at the web page. I believe most cache owners like to know about the activity at their caches and what could be cheaper and simpler way to thank the owner for the cache than signing the log?

- From the shallow end of the gene pool. -

[This message was edited by Divine on May 07, 2003 at 01:16 AM.]

While out caching I've met cachers that did not log their find online. I have no idea if they sign the log book, but they were still nice people who traded items (I know they traded as they gave one of their trade items to one of my kids). To each their own, at least they are not vandalizing the cache. If some one finds my cache and leaves no mark but a trade, fine by me. I still know that it brought some fun into their lives.

Better to cache alone, then not at all.

My main thing is,,, I like looking at caches I've log, and see who else has been there after me, and if they took the items I left. EEspecially a CD I leave of my best Digicam Pics and home vids.

When I look at the log books, they always have alot more logs than the site does.

I like reading the logs of caches I've visited, but I kind of like the little mystery items too. I like watching people log that they took an item that nobody logged they left, makes you go hmmmm. If they just want to put their signature item in there, I'm ok with it. Most of the time you know who's item it is and eventually if someone logs that they took the signature item, you'll know they were there. I'll always log my visits though.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

I call them Geo-Lurkers. They do invoke eery feelings as you compare physical logs and site logs. My Lowell cache has 86 site logs. Even though I'm two months into the second 100 page log book.

I met a team of cachers in Yakima that have 18 finds. Even though they explained that they may find 15 to 20 a day. On their business trips they hit as many as they can, but do not want to spend the whole night logging on the internet.

Each cacher is in to this for them selves. It's up to them how they participate. Even if it's eery.

39197_2700.jpg

I am the result of genetic manipulation of superior Geocacher DNA. Faster, stronger with superior reasoning and logic.

Mokita!