Geocachers named my kitten!

Rubbertoe

Even if you aren't interested in discussing the latest news about Geocaching, the IRC channel #geocache can still be very useful. For example, today they assisted in the naming of my kitten.

Around 3am a few nights ago, I was sitting at the computer and heard a noise outside the window... over and over: MEW MEW MEW MEW MEW MEW MEW

I went outside to check to see if it was a cat that was hurt or something, and it turns out it was a tiny kitty - barely old enough to be away from its mom. It was crying because it was cold, alone, and probably hungry. I tried to grab it, but it jumped up inside of the engine of a parked car that it had been hiding in.

After several minutes of luring by my wife and I, we finally got the kitty to jump down out of the engine - and we took him inside, away from the crappy cold drizzle weather, so we could wash all the engine dirt off his paws.

So, using this tale, I asked the fine folks in #geocache if they had any ideas for a good name for this cat, that would also fit the situation in which we found him. A name was quickly decided, and after running it past my wife - it has been settled.

Click to see a picture of our new kitten, with its new name.

We're only foster parents for this kitten, as we've already put him on the list at Forgotten Forepaws so that he can be adopted by a family that is looking for a tiny orange cat. icon_smile.gif

More Pics of MAM Here

So, like I said, even if you don't wanna chat about geocaching - come visit the channel, you never know what other things the folks there might be able to help you with. icon_wink.gif

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

That pic worries me. What the hell were you doing to the poor thing, cooking it? icon_wink.gif

If your house catches afire, and there ain?t no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Yeah, we were just giving him a bath in the sink to get all the fleas off of him - along with the bits of engine dirt. We didn't want him to contaminate our cat.

It's funny - at first he was all mad, trying to get away and meowing and stuff... but once he realized there was no escape, he finally just gave up and just took it. If you check the last two pics in that directory, you'll see the results of a nice long bath in the sink... a worn out kitty that sacks out on the couch as soon as you put him there. icon_smile.gif

So that's what you call it, a "bath". I'll check when I get home and see if I have a sauce pan large enough for my cat to "bath" in. icon_wink.gif

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Toe!

You and your wife must be really nice people. I'm very impressed. This act of kindnesses is gonna make a ton of browie points for you in the geocaching world. Not mention with the people who "really" know you.

I for one am very proud of your kind act. And proud to be in a "game" with such a nice person. icon_smile.gif

Archie

(Way down south in Dixie)

If you'd only asked us here to name your little kitty cat I would've suggested Acceptable Risk, especially with this photo:

catrescue04.JPG

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

[This message was edited by Planet on October 30, 2002 at 08:40 PM.]

I'm a little bit tight on web space, but I've uploaded a small AVI of Mort attacking (playing with) my cat, Kitty Burrito.

Mort has pretty much adopted Kitty as his big brother or something, but Kitty doesn't really want anything to do with that little bundle of orange fluff. icon_smile.gif

Mort Attacks

The video will probably be removed in a few days, once everyone gets a peek at it.

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

I'm a little bit tight on web space, but I've uploaded a small AVI of Mort attacking (playing with) my cat, Kitty Burrito.

Mort has pretty much adopted Kitty as his big brother or something, but Kitty doesn't really want anything to do with that little bundle of orange fluff. icon_smile.gif

Yeah, that seems familiar icon_smile.gif

My wife and I have fostered two batches of kittens and their mothers. THe first was a freindly stray from our neighborhood that we noticed was pregnant, so we gave her a temp home to have her kittens at. She now lives with my mom, and we found homes for all of the kittens except the one we decided to keep. Unfortunatly the kitten didn't make it through the spaying process.

My wife then decided to foster a mother and her four kittens from the local shelter. All of the kittens are now adopted out (the mother too) except the one little black one that had developmental problems. We call hin Osiris now, and he'll probably be our cat for good.

The part that sounds the most familiar about RT's story is the other cats opinion of the kitten. Our Golden Retreiver isn't too pleased with the fact that Osiris views him as a very large, very hairy playmate.

Shannon

VegasCacheHounds

quote:
Originally posted by CreagerStone Family:

Seriously!

I have http://www.rathergood.com/vikings/ that he's an invader!

Granted it was a clever disguise, but he's infiltrated your home!

Is that Kitty Burrito in the back of the boat?? RT, you HAVE been infiltrated!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------

"You're no verra sensible, Sassenach, but I like ye fine. Let's go."

quote:
Originally posted by CreagerStone Family:

Seriously!

I have proof that he's an invader!

Granted it was a clever disguise, but he's infiltrated your home!

icon_eek.gif You are right... and he appears to be the leader, as he was doing most of the singing! icon_smile.gif The white cat in the back of the boat might be a distant relative of Kitty Burrito though - because right now Kitty is about 4x the size of Mort.

Cute cat joke:

A kindergarten pupil told his teacher he'd found a

cat. She asked if it was dead or alive.

"Dead," she was informed.

"How do you know?", she asked.

"Because I pissed in his ear and it didn't

move," said the child innocently.

"You did WHAT?!?", the teacher squealed in surprise.

"You know," explained the boy, "I leaned over

and went 'pssst' and he didn't move."

Couldn't help it. I had to post it.

Cache you later,

Planet

It seems to me that once you rescue the kitten, give it a bath, take a ton of pictures of it, name it, and then post all about it on the internet, that you really are DOOMED to keep it. Even though you say you won't keep it, your actions are a subconscious way of leading up to that moment where you break down and say "but how can we give little Mort away now?"

I have 4 cats for this very reason!

I would encourage you to fight the urge to keep it, but frankly it's just easier to give in and announce the new addition to the family! Of course maybe you will be stronger than me!

Yeah - we probably would end up keeping him, if it weren't for the new place were moving into in about 3 months. We're renting a house, and the woman doesn't normally allow pets... she made an exception for Kitty, since he is a big lazy turd most of the time - but I don't think she'd be too happy if we suddenly had double the kitties that we did when we agreed to rent the place. icon_smile.gif So, yeah, it'll be kinda sad... but eventually Mort is gonna go on his merry way. *sniffle*

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Yeah - we probably would end up keeping him, if it weren't for the new place were moving into in about 3 months. We're renting a house, and the woman doesn't normally allow pets... she made an exception for Kitty, since he is a big lazy turd most of the time - but I don't think she'd be too happy if we suddenly had double the kitties that we did when we agreed to rent the place. icon_smile.gif So, yeah, it'll be kinda sad... but eventually Mort is gonna go on his merry way. *sniffle*

http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/geobanana.gif http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/index.html

Oh, too bad. Being in Real Estate and having apartments to rent, I know exactly what you mean. But sometimes we work it out by offering just a tad extra on the security deposit, and/or offer to shampoo all carpets before vacating the apartment/house when you move. THe only thing that can be discriminated in the real estate world is cats and cash, having a cat, or lack of cash. Good luck, and everybody in Rubbertoe's area find a home for Mort! I don't suggest you find someone far away and send him by plane, I had a cat that ran away after the second plane ride. He was mad!

Cache you later,

Planet

We've got him listed with a local agency here that gets referrals through pet shops and other animal clinics. They say that homes are usually found within 2-3 weeks - so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I usually have Mort and Kitty Burrito on the webcam, and you can usually watch them play on the time lapse video.

I'm located in Lancaster, OH - which is about 30 miles SE of Columbus, which is right in the center of the state. I appreciate the offer to adopt him... he really does match your cat - but I'm gonna give Forgotten Fourpaws a chance to find him a place around here. We've got his little adoption listing done up already... I kinda felt like I was filling out a dating service application for him or something. *laugh* "I'm small and fuzzy, I don't eat much, I'm good with pets, and I love french onion chip dip." icon_razz.gif

But yeah, for the time being - Mortimer Motormitts is usually going to be displayed on the ol' webcam, which can be reached from my homepage listed below. Thanks for all the good comments and advice everyone.

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

quote:
Originally posted by Tomebug:

Seriously, I'll take him if we can work out a pick up/drop off plan. I think you're about 5 or 6 hours from me, I don't mind half the drive!

This travel bug idea could work if you guys out there organize your geocaching trips with a travel cat to move Mort across the state! Tomebug has the twin.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Faderaven:

is going to miss his new friend when he is gone. They look like they are having a lot of fun! icon_frown.gif

Yeah, I was thinking that too. icon_frown.gif

At first Mort would follow him around and bother him, wanting to play all the time - now they are finally at the point where they just hang out together without always playing or tackling each other. (Actually, Mort is usually the instigator) My wife went downstairs this morning and found them sleeping cuddled up on the couch. Kitty Burrito has never been around cats since we took him in at around 6 months, and he is 6 years now... it really surprises me how well him and Mortimer get along.

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

Is Mort getting bigger? Has he found a happy home? Update please.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

First off, to all that are new to this thread... sorry, I had to remove all the pics and videos from my web space, cuz I needed it for some other things. But anyway...

Mort is still here - in fact, he went back in to the pet hospital when my wife went to work today. We wanted to make sure everything was still good, cuz he was sneezing a little bit yesterday. Him and Kitty Burrito are still getting along okay, but I think Kitty will be a bit relieved when Mort goes, since Mort is so full of energy and always wanting to play. I just kinda hope that Mort goes to a person that has another cat... he seems a little needy sometimes.

I sent some digital images of Mort into Forgotten 4Paws for their web site. I also have some regular prints coming back soon so I can do up the flyers like I planned. I didn't even realize they had a web site until I saw an ad in the paper the other day.

Forgotten 4Paws

If you go there, you'll see that they have quite a few animals waiting to be adopted. They say that little kittens like Mort usually go faster, so I'm still hoping they'll find a place for him soon. I suppose I wouldn't mind if we end up keeping him - but if someone is going to adopt him, I'd rather it be sooner than later.

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

There was this little kitten,

He was left outside all alone.

Until Rubbertoe did find him,

And take him to his home,

The Toe and wife did bathe him,

they fed him, kept him warm.

They made sure that this kitty

would never come to harm.

They asked caching folks to name him,

Said name him if you can,

So they came up with a long one

the initials spell out MAM.

But The Toe and Wife they had a cat

Kitty Burrito is his name.

So little MAM would have to go,

but not from whence he came.

They posted his little picture

on Forgotten 4-Paws web site,

and Mam will be heading to his new home,

Come next Friday night.

So farewell MAM we'll miss you,

We're glad you have a home,

Don't let them give you any crap!

Just tell 'em where your from.

Cache you later,

Planet

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

[This message was edited by Planet on November 17, 2002 at 08:03 PM.]

[This message was edited by Planet on November 17, 2002 at 08:44 PM.]

Tnx man, that was really kewl... thanks for adding that up here. I feel mixed about sending him along. Of course I wonder where he will be going, if they'll treat him right, if they'll have other kitties that he'll get along with, etc.

I am probably a little more silly than most when it comes to animals and stuff, but I even asked my wife this morning if she thought Mort would remember "the nice people that took him in" when he is an old grown up cay. icon_smile.gif They always say the first several weeks of a cat's life is what determines how they will interact with people for the rest of their life. I like to think we did something pretty good... taking in this cold, damp, dirty little scared hissing kitten - and within a few weeks turning him into this loving little ball of orange hair, at ease enough that we'd often catch him sleeping on his back in the middle of our bed. icon_razz.gif

I guess I'm just pretty happy we had the chance to make a difference in his life.

icon_smile.gif So, we think he'll be alright too.

Probably only "cat people" will understand this... but a few hours ago I actually told Kitty Burrito not to worry, that we weren't going to be sending him off when Mort leaves. I didn't want him to worry. *laugh* I'm not crazy... no, really. icon_razz.gif

Nope, your eyes weren't tricking you... Mort ended up spending an extra weekend here. My wife actually took him in to the pet hospital there, because they were supposed to pick him up on Friday - but the lady that comes to get the animals had a family emergency and wasn't able to make it that day. So, we had the option of leaving Mort in a cage all weekend at the hospital, or letting him come home with us for a couple more days. icon_smile.gif

He left this morning, though - the lady hasn't picked him up from the hospital yet, but by the end of the day Mort should be on his way to Dayton. Kinda sad... I just woke up this morning, wife had already gone to work - and took Mort with her. icon_frown.gif *sniffle*

flag.gif

The NEW Toe Pages