Oldest Virgin Cache?

John NW

Melvin's Multiple Madness went a year before the first find. I'm sure there are others that beat that record, but considering that Melvin's is not exactly in a remote area (several stages are within a few hundred feet of the Garden State Parkway) and it's and within an hour's drive of some 15 million people, including geocaching legends such as Stayflooppy, CCCooperAgency and Bassoonpilot, it's pretty remarkable that it went so long without a find.

"You can only protect your liberties in this world, by protecting the other man's freedom. "You can only be free if I am" -Clarence Darrow

Mountain Top Memorial was placed on 6/16/02 without a single finder yet. It's almost a drive to on a paved road and has another cache 10.5 miles away.

Go figure. I'm tempted to archive it but I'll wait til this summer. Another cache of mine is the same age but has one finder. That cache requires a boat ride or a 3 day hike. Seems the easy one would have been nailed at least once. Especially by those who crave first finders more than anything.

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

Mountain Top Memorial was placed on 6/16/02 without a single finder yet. It's almost a drive to on a paved road and has another cache 10.5 miles away.

Go figure. I'm tempted to archive it but I'll wait til this summer. Another cache of mine is the same age but has one finder. That cache requires a boat ride or a 3 day hike. Seems the easy one would have been nailed at least once. Especially by those who crave first finders more than anything.

It's funny, but I won't go far out of my way for a virtual. I usually do them if I'm in the area because of other caches. Maybe if this one was an offset from the memorial, it would be more enticing. icon_smile.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

it's and within an hour's drive of some 15 million people, including geocaching legends such as Stayflooppy, CCCooperAgency and Bassoonpilot

As far as I can tell, only one of them does "nasty" caches, and he had done enough muck caches for awhile.

I guess the same could be said for the team that conquered "Melvin's." I note with some amusement that no one from that team has logged the other Cheesequake "major muck" cache ... or even the much easier one for that matter, and at least one of those caches has lay dormant almost as long as "Melvin's" has existed.

I know; they're gonna do them as a group at the upcoming picnic. Wimps. icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on April 04, 2003 at 09:06 AM.]

We've got no aged log-free caches around Louisiana, unfortunately. (Probably because it's hard to make them too hard down here, with no mountains or anything.)

I'd be interested in seeing what vintage NRFBs* there are out there in other locales... so, Watcher users of the world, UNITE! Take a look at your GPXes, and if you see any aged-looking ghostly apparitions in there, tell us about them.

(*Never Removed From Box)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

7/19/2001:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=4635

Shafer Meadows, in Montana. Flown in by ? for his birthday, a overnight hike at the least, maybe more than one night if slow.

Also: 7/30/2001

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=5006

Thunderbolt. Another long one in the same general area as the first. Done in UTM!

We are gonna search them out this summer we hope.

-Jennifer

According to his or her personal experience, each person must decide by himself or herself where they have been. Always for me the most important thing is not where the others have gone but the experience lived through.-Reinhold Messner

quote:
Maybe if this one was an offset from the memorial, it would be more enticing.

You may very well be right. I have recently archived some of my older virtuals in keeping with current guidelines. When we first starting placing them it was sort of a just be happy to get anything type of mentality. But now things are busy and I felt that about 3 of my virtuals were nothing exceptional. I kept this one up as it's a beautiful drive and great views.

But to be honest I won't place a traditional cache in the area as it's obvious that these days cachers are a bit spoiled. They don't want to travel much unless they can log a bunch in the area. I'll bet if I put 3 or 4 caches within a mile they'd all get action. LOL.

quote:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=25798 was placed on 6/16/02 without a single finder yet. It's almost a drive to on a paved road and has another cache 10.5 miles away.

I try to make it down sometime this summer. Sounds like a nice drive.

I hit a virtual cache that had no logs and was placed over a year before I found it. Of course, it was a 14 mile, 4000-plus hike RT...I actually did 15-plus and 5 K elevation gain as I dropped down to a gorgeous mountain lake afterwards. The virtual location was fantastic! Oh, the link is:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=5517

quote:

But to be honest I won't place a traditional cache in the area as it's obvious that these days cachers are a bit spoiled. They don't want to travel much unless they can log a bunch in the area. I'll bet if I put 3 or 4 caches within a mile they'd all get action. LOL.

You would be "spoiling" cachers if you actually placed a cache there? Interesting perspective.

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

I'd be interested in seeing what vintage NRFBs* there are out there in other locales... so, Watcher users of the world, UNITE! Take a look at your GPXes, and if you see any aged-looking ghostly apparitions in there, tell us about them.

ClayJar, Watcher tells me that there are NO aged virgins in Western PA/Eastern Ohio. Actually, that conclusion seems entirely appropriate. icon_wink.gif

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

quote:
You would be "spoiling" cachers if you actually placed a cache there? Interesting perspective.

What I meant is that cachers are already spoiled. Putting a traditional cache isn't spoiling them. I just figured that since we are all so spoiled from the numbers of available caches that this particular cache isn't going to be visited. The proof of that seems to be that it hasn't been so far.

I have placed quite a few difficul to reach traditional caches in the past few months. Only a couple of visits each. But when I throw up an easy urban micro it gets hit all the time.

Just the way things are now. But I'll continue to place the difficult to access ones. I enjoy the hikes or bike rides.

Wow, I'm kind of surprised by how few REALLY old caches there are that haven't been found yet.

MiGOput together Operation Ice Walk back in February after our Winter Social to go out and find Heisterman's Stashout in the Saginaw Bay. Heisterman's Stash was placed September 2, 2001, by clatmandu, and hadn't been logged yet. It ended up being a big hit, with legendary Michigan cachers attending such as Victory Mike, UMC, ABXguy, Uncle ED, Dayjayhak, and JimDi&TheBoyz.

migo_sig_logo.jpg