National Geodetic Survey Points

Guest Zam84

Another thread mentioned the National Geodetic Survey site at http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_quads.prl

So, I found one close to me to give my new Magellin 315 a try. When reading the coordiantes for Altoona, PA (Gospel Hill), I noticed that the coordinates were different than I had seen on the geocache site and what the GPS unit wanted to accept.

The NGS coordinates were listed like this:

40 30 57.01118(N)

078 24 21.84008 (W).

Since the NGS page actually had directions to the site, I followed them and found the point. The actual readin, after waiting a few minutes for averaging was:

40 30.950 N

078 24.364 W

So, how do you convert from :

40 30 57.01118(N)

078 24 21.84008 (W).

To

40 30.950 N

078 24.364 W

?

Those NGS coordinates are in Degrees Minutes & Seconds where as your GPS was set to display (normally default) Degrees Minutes AND Decimal Minutes.

There are sites that do position format conversions but the easist way is simply let your GPS do it.

The GPS can be set to display either of those position formats as a user option. The display will then show the position in the user format selected with the conversion being done by the GPS. One can change backwards and forwards between formats with no problems.

Cheers, Kerry.

[This message has been edited by Kerry (edited 25 August 2001).]

Guest xsintrik

Also, if you find an NGS marker (referred to as Recovering) you can report the condition of the marker and they will add it to the marker Data Sheet under Recoverey Note (Usually takes three weeks to a month before it shows up on the data sheet).

Below is the Recovery note on an NGS marker data sheet from a marker that I found.

"RECOVERY NOTE BY INDIVIDUAL CONTRIBUTORS 2001 (DS)

RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION."

It shows the year, initials of the person reporting and the condition.

This is the link to the marker recovery entry form.

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/FORMS_PROCESSING-cgi-bin/recvy_entry_www.prl

You can also access it from www.ngs.noaa.gov then click on Marker Recovery Entry Form.

You will need the marker PID number, but it is listed on the Data Sheet.

Since some NGS markers have the Lat. and Long. listed they can be used as a simple test for GPS accuracy.

I used this marker to test my GPS for accuracy several times over several months. Generally, my GPS (eTrex Legend) was about 15 feet off to the North East.

------------------

xsintrik

I attempted to locate a few in my area recently. I read the Data Sheets and selected only those which had recently (within the last 20 yrs) been Recovered.

I failed to locate any of them, but each location has also had lots of recent road/construction work, so they may be gone.

One was in a field thick with briars and I wasn't prepared to hack my way in there.

I'm going to try some more today.

Success!

I located 2 NGS markers today, one of which was last Recovered in 1970 and is in need of repair (appears highway mowing equipment mangled it).

140_800.jpg

I used the link above and reported it. Awaiting a reply and/or an updte to the Data Sheet.

[This message has been edited by makaio (edited 04 September 2001).]

Guest Wesley Horton

Regarding submission of recovery reports on the NGS database. If you do submit any reports remember to be objective and report only what you find. If you do not find it report it as Not found. If the area has been changed by the addition or change of a road report that fact along with marker not found.

It is a pretty important database and the information needs to be as correct as possible.

Wesley Horton

I agree. Following is the report I submitted...

RD3785

INDIV

MTO

MARK FOUND SET IN TOP OF CONCRETE MONUMENT BUT IS IN NEED OF REPAIR. MARK CONTAINS LARGE GOUGES POSSIBLY FROM BEING RUN OVER OR MANGLED BY STATE HIGHWAY MOWING EQUIPMENT. PICTURES OF MARK IN CURRENT CONDITION AVAILABLE BY REQUEST.