Did anyone see 28 Days Later, and.......

TMAN264

....totally think it would be cool because now you would have all the time you'd need to find all the caches in the world? I know there are discrepancies here, like the electricity issue, the internet issue, and would your GPS unit work ( I think it would), but it is my fantasy, so I am running with it.

Maybe just all the caches in England, since it has been quarantined. I'll think on it.

Make a sanity check.migo_sig_logo.jpg

"All the TIME to cache in the WORLD!!!""

Yeah, it'd be like that Twilight Zone episode where the world ended and the libarian had 'all the time' to read in the world. He broke his glasses.

In this scenario your batteries on your GPSr would go dead and you wouldn't be able to find fresh ones.

"NOOOOOOooooooooO!!!!!"

icon_biggrin.gif

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

quote:
Originally posted by TMAN264:

I know there are discrepancies here, like the electricity issue, the internet issue, and would your GPS unit work ( I think it would), but it is my fantasy, so I am running with it.

MOVIE SPOILER ALERT!!!

MOVIE SPOILER ALERT!!!

MOVIE SPOILER ALERT!!!

MOVIE SPOILER ALERT!!!

MOVIE SPOILER ALERT!!!

Why wouldn't GPS work? It's controlled by the U.S. At the end of the movie, it was revealed that only England was affected by the virus. They lied to populace, and told them it has spread worldwide, to prevent people from trying to leave and spreading it off the island.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

quote:
Originally posted by TMAN264:

I know there are discrepancies here, like the electricity issue, the internet issue, and would your GPS unit work ( I think it would), but it is my fantasy, so I am running with it.

MOVIE SPOILER ALERT!!!

MOVIE SPOILER ALERT!!!

MOVIE SPOILER ALERT!!!

MOVIE SPOILER ALERT!!!

MOVIE SPOILER ALERT!!!

Why wouldn't GPS work? It's controlled by the U.S. At the end of the movie, it was revealed that only England was affected by the virus. They lied to populace, and told them it has spread worldwide, to prevent people from trying to leave and spreading it off the island.

Just saw this movie yesterday. I thought it was great and had several moments of homage to Romero's Living Dead series. (the gas pump scene from Night, the shopping spree from Dawn, the whacko military outfit complete with medical experimentation zombie from Day, etc).

The thing is, anyone with the infection would not have had the mental capacity to get on a flight that would successfully make it to another country. Possibly a boat if it accidentally bumps into land. But with the quickness and violence of the infection, I doubt any public transportation would have worked because if one infected person got on board, everyone would be gonners within minutes. And besides, the infected wouldn't give a hoot about getting off the island.

Jolly B Good: I thought exactly the same thing you did. I have Burgess Meridith's voice running in my head "I have all the time in the world" *sound of glasses breaking* "Doooooooooh!!!!"

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

The movie rocked, the camera worked was very unique. I was trying not to use spoliers, but Prime Suspect beat me to it. Yes, I know the situation with the quarantine, so the GPS would definately work, but also said my fantasy was flawed in many ways in terms of the movie. It was mainly a generalization, and I know Jolly B Good is right, I would drop my GPS unit , or get tetnus from an ammo box or something.

Make a sanity check.migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

"All the TIME to cache in the WORLD!!!""

Yeah, it'd be like that Twilight Zone episode where the world ended and the libarian had 'all the time' to read in the world. He broke his glasses.

In this scenario your batteries on your GPSr would go dead and you wouldn't be able to find fresh ones.

"NOOOOOOooooooooO!!!!!"

my fave twilight zone ever! except burgess merideth was a bank clerk(sorry, my anal moment is over).

the gps episode would be a great one!

join.gif

Click to subscribe to ozmtngeocachers

if you cache it, they will come.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kender:

The thing is, anyone with the infection would not have had the mental capacity to get on a flight that would successfully make it to another country. Possibly a boat if it accidentally bumps into land. But with the quickness and violence of the infection, I doubt any public transportation would have worked because if one infected person got on board, everyone would be gonners within minutes. And besides, the infected wouldn't give a hoot about getting off the island.

That's exactly the point the soldier in the movie made. But that doesn't mean there couldn't be a "Rage" Typhoid Mary - someone who was a carrier, but didn't come down with the symptoms. Hence, the need for the quarantine, and the lies to convince the public that there was no use in trying to leave England.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kender:

That's exactly the point the soldier in the movie made. But that doesn't mean there couldn't be a "Rage" Typhoid Mary - someone who was a carrier, but didn't come down with the symptoms. Hence, the need for the quarantine, and the lies to convince the public that there was no use in trying to leave England.

Good point, I remember the soldier talking about it but didn't remember the details. After I get through the list of other movies I'm behind on (all of them!) I'll have to catch 28 Days again. Best horror movie since The Ring.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

I saw it. One question it brought up for me is this:

Assume an emergency hit where the current GPS sat system was left un-maintained. No power to the ground stations, no monitoring, no corrections, no further input from the earth. Just the sats themselves.

How long would the system remain being useful? Hours? Days? Weeks?

George

quote:
Assume an emergency hit where the current GPS sat system was left un-maintained. No power to the ground stations, no monitoring, no corrections, no further input from the earth. Just the sats themselves.

How long would the system remain being useful? Hours? Days? Weeks?

As soon as ground stations lost power the sats orbits would begin to degrade at a higher rate than they already do. Ground stations control the engines and gyros that keep it on track. They'd likely fall from orbit in less than a year. They'd have been useless long before that.

Wouldn't be meaningfully accurate for more than about a day I'd think. As I understand it, ground stations are placed at points on the globe so that each SV can be "seen" at least once per orbit. GPSrs depend on accurate time to find your location. One orbit takes 11h 58m, hence there is a 4 minute drift per day. As soon as an SV missed its time offset the inaccuracies would begin to multiply roughly by 4 x number of days without offsets.