Etrex use for Geocaching

I own a Garmin Etrex Standard model. I notice that much of the geocaching game is based on inputting coordinates into your GPS and having it give you a readout of which direction to go. However, I cannot input coordinates into my ETREX. has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know a solution (beside buying another GPS system?)

After you mark a waypoint, use the bottom small button to scroll down and it will highlight when you scroll down then when you have highlighted the waypoint press the big button below the small ones and a small screen will come up for you to change the numbers. Hope this helps, this is the way someone else showed me.

The way in,

is the way out:)

After you mark a waypoint, use the bottom small button to scroll down and it will highlight when you scroll down then when you have highlighted the waypoint press the big button below the small ones and a small screen will come up for you to change the numbers. Hope this helps, this is the way someone else showed me.

The way in,

is the way outicon_smile.gif

Press and hold the bottom on the lower left hand side of your eTrex unit (I believe. This is from memory). That is a quick shortcut to add a waypoint. Then search for that waypoint name and off you go.

The manual explains how to do it through the prompts.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Press and hold the bottom on the lower left hand side of your eTrex unit

I think you meant to say

"Press and hold the button on the lower left hand side of your eTrex unit"

Sorry Jeremy....but holding the bottom on the lower left hand side might not do much! icon_smile.gif

"Before beginning a hunt, it is wise to ask someone what you are looking for before you begin looking for it." Pooh

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Press and hold the bottom on the lower left hand side of your eTrex unit

I think you meant to say

"Press and hold the button on the lower left hand side of your eTrex unit"

Sorry Jeremy....but holding the bottom on the lower left hand side might not do much! icon_smile.gif

"Before beginning a hunt, it is wise to ask someone what you are looking for before you begin looking for it." Pooh

Once you get to a "start point", such as the location of your car mark that as a waypoint. Then go to that waypoint on the waypoint page, select it but toggle down to "project" rather than "goto". Now you can create a "new coordinates". Simply put in the name and elevation of this new waypoint then save it by toggling to "ok" and pushing the enter buttom. Once you have created this new point in the gps unit go back to the waypoints page and select the new "projected" waypoint. Once you have selected it you can toggle down to the logitude and latitude area. Once it is highlighted push enter. From there you can modify the coordinates. Once completed push enter then toggle to "goto" and you are on your way. Once you start moving your unit will point the direction and give the distance.

Good luck and happy hunting.

P.S. I would recommend that you read then entire instruction manual, it has good info.

Bones