Premium Membership Question.

Mark 42

I notice there are two annual rate options, the second being

Annual Premium Membership (Renews Annually).

Does that mean it automatically renews and bills your PayPal account each year w/o asking for approval?

Is the other option still renewable, and will I get a reminder when it is nearly expired?

Also, has there been any consideration to my idea for a family rate. If my wife and I don't both sign up for premium memberships, but we both find the "Members Only" caches, will only one of us be able to log our visit(s) online?

I'd imagine with a bit of internet savvy there may be a devious way to log an entry into a members only cache for a non-premium account... but that's inconvenient icon_wink.gif

Renewing memberships:

The membership is managed through your paypal account. You subscribe through paypal for a renewing membership using a credit card. Permission is given when you create the subscription to charge you the following years. They will send and email to you after they have deducted the fee, but not before.

You have the ability to cancel that transaction at anytime through your paypal account. Once you cancel the subscription through paypal, they will not attempt to charge you again.

If you do not want the funds deducted without prior notification please do not use the renewing option.

frog.gif hydee frog.gif

I work for the frog

Have y'all considered something like $15 for the second family member, and $10 (or $7.50) for each one thereafter, as long as they are from the same family/household?

Honestly, I'd pay $40 for a double membership (wife & me), and probably $45 for a double membership, but $50 or more gets into the realm of "I can live with just a single membersip easily enough".

Now, that's just me.

You can point out that there are more expensive hobbies and entertainment forms, and that it's a bargain for the amount of fun one gets in exchange, etc., but ultimately, I would get enough out of one premium membership to justify the expenditure, but two membersips at full price is not that great a value, for me

I too hate Paypal. Anything Ebay get its hands on is ruined ( ex. half.com) I had two disputes with sellers and paypal was like "later" on helping me. When you use your credit card at least you can try and dispute it with card.

My credit card expired on Paypal and I don't plan to renew it.

As for different types of memberships and hubby and wife EACH having to pay!...That sounds like AAA. Because I paid for ME to be a member of AAA my husband was out of luck when my car, that he was driving blew out. AAA would only tow him if I came to be with the car...however they could sell him a membership. No thanks ...I cancelled with them after waiting on the side of I-45 in the rain for 1 hour and 45 minutes.

I too hate Paypal. Anything Ebay get its hands on is ruined ( ex. half.com) I had two disputes with sellers and paypal was like "later" on helping me. When you use your credit card at least you can try and dispute it with card.

My credit card expired on Paypal and I don't plan to renew it.

As for different types of memberships and hubby and wife EACH having to pa

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

Have y'all considered something like $15 for the second family member, and $10 (or $7.50) for each one thereafter, as long as they are from the same family/household?

Honestly, I'd pay $40 for a double membership (wife & me), and probably $45 for a double membership, but $50 or more gets into the realm of "I can live with just a single membersip easily enough".

Now, that's just me.

You can point out that there are more expensive hobbies and entertainment forms, and that it's a bargain for the amount of fun one gets in exchange, etc., but ultimately, I would get enough out of one premium membership to justify the expenditure, but two membersips at full price is not that great a value, _for me_

There's three National Forests in Southern California that have gotten together and started selling "Adventure Passes" to raise money (it goes into things like toilets, forest cleanup, etc., so I don't mind paying for it). If you're going to park anywhere in the forest, you need an Adventure Pass. They charge $5 for a daily pass, or $30 for an annual pass. The nice thing with the annual pass is that you can buy a second annual pass (for a 2nd vehicle) for only $5. Groundspeak should do something similar.

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I chose not to use paypal. They send an email to remind me and I send a check.

I would do that, but international money orders are unreasonably expensive for paying relatively small sums like $30 (and no one uses the clumsy check books any more around here anyway).

I have heard about plans of Groundspeak accepting credit cards directly. I wish that feature will get implemented soon. A company should be flexible when it comes to methods of payment, it means easier income.icon_smile.gif

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

quote:
I have heard about plans of Groundspeak accepting credit cards directly. I wish that feature will get implemented soon.

This I would really appreciate, especially for people living outside US. Taking away the weird Pay-Pal in between could be the starter of my premium membership.

Stupidity has a certain charm - ignorance does not. (FZ)

"see <--?"

See what?

Anyway, I do get aggravated when eBay sellers say that they

won't let me pay with a credit card via PayPal because they

get charged 3 percent.

What that says to me, is, on a $10 item my business isn't

worth 30¢ to that seller.

I would like to see a discount on the second membership.

For now, I think I'll sign myself up, and see if it comes

about in the future.

Besides, that way I can have access

to cache's my wife can't log finds to,

which will give me an advantage in the stats race.devil.gif

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

[This message was edited by Mark 42 on September 10, 2003 at 11:46 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Eswau:

How does the non auto-renewal yearly subscriptions work? Will I receive notification to repay or do I just need to do it near my expiration date? And does it affect my "Charter Memeber" title?

I got an email about 30 days before the expiration date, and another around 15 days. I mailed my check, but it seems it was a day or two late. The confirmation email I got today called me a Premium member, but my profile still says Charter. Oddly enough, I think I still got my Pocket Queries yesterday.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Hey, didn't my renewal check clear?

Yes, you will receive an email reminder from Groundspeak to renew approximately 1 month before your membership expires. If you are a Charter Member and you renew on time you will keep your Charter status.

If you renew before your expiration date you will not lose any time. example: If your expiration date were 3/7/2003 and you renewed your membership on 2/8/2003 your new expiration date would be 3/7/2004.

*If you decide not to renew at the time, and sign up again at a later date your new membership will be a Premium Membership. Charter Member and Premium Member features are identical.

frog.gif hydee frog.gif

I work for the frog

quote:

When will I receive my "Handsome Tote Bag" as a thankyou for becoming a member?

It's already been sent out, to be placed in a cache near you. But if you're not FTF... icon_wink.gif

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:

How does one become a "Charter Member"?

I became a premium member, but I can't seem to change my "Title". How is that done?

_ "I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it" _

Go to "My Cache Page" scroll down to title, make change, log out then log in. BUT FIRST! Did you get the confirmation e-mail from Groundspeak that your fee was received and the password to get in?

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

quote:
Originally posted by Divine:

Hydee, is there any planned schedule for Groundspeak accepting credit cards directly, without PayPal in between?

Divine,

Yes, at some point in the future we do plan to accept credit cards direct. I am not sure at what point in the future this will be made available we do not have a scheduled date.

frog.gif hydee frog.gif

I work for the frog

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

quote:

How does one become a "Charter Member"?

I became a premium member, but I can't seem to change my "Title". How is that done?

_ "I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it" _

Go to "My Cache Page" scroll down to title, make change, log out then log in. BUT FIRST! Did you get the confirmation e-mail from Groundspeak that your fee was received and the password to get in?

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

Almost got it all Planet icon_biggrin.gif

I will assume you have mad the changes to your profile and are just trying to make them show up here in the forums now.

1. Manually logout of the forums.

2. Close all brower Windows.

3. Open new browser window.

4. Log back into your account, check 'remember me' and 'also log me into the forums'.

Next time you post your changes will show up. It is important that you log out from the forums and close all browser windows. icon_smile.gif

frog.gif hydee frog.gif

I work for the frog

quote:
Originally posted by hydee:

Yes, at some point in the future we do plan to accept credit cards direct. I am not sure at what point in the future this will be made available we do not have a scheduled date.

Thanks for the prompt answer. I'm sure once you make it available, you get significantly more foreign premium members. Next time I renew my premium membership, I will do that by paying directly to Groundspeak with my credit card.