Geocaching and hunting season controversy

opey one

Here's a tidbit for you. A 89 year old hunter was arrested in Nova Scotia Canada for shooting a deer... the problem was it was a large white horse with a 12 year old girl on it! everyone ok but do you really want to go into the woods now that there are people like that running around. icon_eek.gif

Work Smarter, Not Harder!

Found your cache. Appears to have been blasted with a shotgun. Swapped some lead pellets for rifle bullet. Thanks for the hunt.

I am sort of happy we don't have this problem in Australia. Although it still appears some people carry gun near our caches. This is a picture I took on the way to a cache.

757709_400.jpg

[This message was edited by Tony Jago on November 21, 2002 at 02:57 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by dthigpen:

Well, tonight in Pennsylvania (visiting), we ran into what looked to be very suspicious hunters

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=23467 Doug

Sounds like you ran into "suspicious" Racoon Hunters. Racoon season runs from Oct. 19-Feb. 22, 2003 in Pennsylvania. Racoon hunting is done at night with dogs. Never actually been Racoon Hunting but I've heard many interesting stories about it from my father when I was growing up. Here's a little description I found: http://www.peterboro.net/~wolfz/Sue.htm

quote:
Originally posted by dthigpen:

Well, tonight in Pennsylvania (visiting), we ran into what looked to be very suspicious hunters

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=23467 Doug

Sounds like you ran into "suspicious" Racoon Hunters. Racoon season runs from Oct. 19-Feb. 22, 2003 in Pennsylvania. Racoon hunting is done at night with dogs. Never actually been Racoon Hunting but I've heard many interesting stories about it from my father when I was growing up. Here's a little description I found: http://www.peterboro.net/~wolfz/Sue.htm

quote:
Originally posted by Sea_Dog:

AhHah! Makes sense now, thanks for the information =).

Doug

quote:
Originally posted by Team Oddball:

Here's a tidbit for you. A 89 year old hunter was arrested in Nova Scotia Canada for shooting a deer... the problem was it was a large white horse with a 12 year old girl on it! everyone ok but do you really want to go into the woods now that there are people like that running around. icon_eek.gif

Work Smarter, Not Harder!

Wow, that's incredible! How many 89 year old men are there out there, shooting horses riden by 12 year old girls?!?! This story sounds very similiar to the one posted above, only that wasn't in Canada, it was in Browns Valley, Minn.

A quote from the article.

"But Princess had taken a 12-gauge slug in her front shoulder, Traverse County Sheriff Don Montonye said, fired by an 89-year-old neighbor sitting in a chair 200 yards away."

quote:
Originally posted by Duke_:

Do you know what ambiguous means? Lets take a closer look.

**"This is my hunting spot for 10 years." Defense lawyer would say this is a statement of fact, not a threat.

**"I would highly advise you to find another spot because bullets will be flying everywhere around you- arrows too." Defense says - A simple recommendation and another statement of fact. Hunting season going on, highly likely that bullets and arrows will be flying in the area. If you are in the area, then they may be flying around you. Note that the note did not say "Flying _AT_ you".

**"5 of us. We have your book" Another statement of fact. No threat there.

**"At least one mile. You better tell your www dot com the same thing." Again more recommendations, no direct threats.

Like I said, I highly doubt that the note in and of itself would be evidence enough to convict this guy of anything, therefore the authorities would probably not act on it. Just my opinion.

You left out "we know who you are". That's threatening allright. Just as threatening as if he said, "You best be keeping out of these here woods if you know what's good fer ya, dotcom boy. A stray 7mm magnum to the skull and there'd be nuthin' left but hair and dental fillin's after the possums got done pickin'. P.S. We know where yer kids go to skool. (still just facts and recommendations)

I'm thinking stumpjumper could make big trouble for this guy if he's so inclined.

quote:
Originally posted by Duke_:

quote:
Originally posted by enfanta:

"This is my hunting spot for 10 years. We know who you are. 5 of us. We have your book. You better find another spot. At least one mile. You better tell your www dot com the same thing."

What's ambiguous about that? The writer is threatening to shoot geocachers. Not just the writer but the writer and four others. "We know who you are" in this context is highly threatening. They need to be reported to the proper authorities.

Do you know what ambiguous means? Lets take a closer look.

**"This is my hunting spot for 10 years." Defense lawyer would say this is a statement of fact, not a threat.

**"I would highly advise you to find another spot because bullets will be flying everywhere around you- arrows too." Defense says - A simple recommendation and another statement of fact. Hunting season going on, highly likely that bullets and arrows will be flying in the area. If you are in the area, then they may be flying around you. Note that the note did not say "Flying _AT_ you".

**"5 of us. We have your book" Another statement of fact. No threat there.

**"At least one mile. You better tell your www dot com the same thing." Again more recommendations, no direct threats.

Like I said, I highly doubt that the note in and of itself would be evidence enough to convict this guy of anything, therefore the authorities would probably not act on it. Just my opinion.

If you take each statement for what it is you get one thing. If you take all of them and the situation surrounding the statments you can get another.

Say "I don't have a bomb." next time youre on an airplane and tell me what happens. Going by your rationale, nothing should. In fact they should thank you for confirming that you don't have one.

If it were that cut and dry then why do U.S. judges continually interpret the U.S. Constitution and Laws, Codes, etc?