another Rino 120 question... hand Strap

wretsub

I am having one heck of a time trying to get this hand strap to work on the Rino 120.

When I place the in just one hole... the back will not close.. I can not get it thru two holes as suggested by Garmin.

Can someone send me a picture of how they got the hand strap to work

Thanks

Wretsub..Georienteerer

wretsub@hotmail.com

Wretsub

Angel Pockets Embroidey

"Our Stitches are Heavenly!!"

wretsub@hotmail.com

According to what I have read about the strap, it is supposed to be installed either on the metal battery latch loop or through the webbing between the antennaes. I personally don't think either place would be suitable and I wouldn't use the freakin' thing if it had it's own loop in the 1st place! I think the belt clip is much better.

Pudman

I used the latch loop. I couldn't get it through the little holes either.

It works well enough as a backup protection when I have it inside my backpack strap pouch. Only once while snowboarding did it come in handy.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

I rarely make much actual use of the handstrap on mine, but I've had it looped around the webbing between the antennas since I got it.

Haven't had any problems so far and it's seemed quite sturdy the few times it's actually been put into use in this manner.

CK

--

Geocaching: The World's Finest Outdoor Geeking

"Oh, look at me. I'm off with my way cool friends to sniff floor wax." - Brian, 'My So-Called Life'

quote:
Originally posted by mudda:

I put mine between the antennas also and didn't give it a second thought until my brother got me paranoid about it. Do you think it is strong enough to carry it around that way?

muddaUBER

In fact, after pricing the Garmin car-mount and deciding against it, in the past week I've begun using the strap to hang my GPS from the rear-view mirror while driving. Truth be told, I'm more concerned about my mirror falling off than I am about the antenna webbing breaking. icon_wink.gif

I'm quite sure it is _possible_ for the webbing to tear.. I just think it would take a lot more effort than some people fear.

CK

--

Geocaching: The World's Finest Outdoor Geeking

"Oh, look at me. I'm off with my way cool friends to sniff floor wax." - Brian, 'My So-Called Life'

I myself have been able to fit the handstrap through the two small holes at the botttom of the unit.It took me about 10 minutes to get it to work but it is possible. Taking a close look at the unit it looks like those two holes might be drain holes to let out any water that gets inbetween the plastic and the rubber sealer. But then hey what do I know. Garmin suggest using the metal D ring on the battery case, or the webbing inbetween the two antennas. Personally I see the I see the battery compartment accidentally oppening with the strap on the D ring and I can also see the webbing breaking. The next option is your belt clip. I do not trust those at all, I ahd the exact same type of clip on my cel phone at it broke at work loosing my 500$ cellphone in the water. As well I have also heard of the unit cracking around the base of the belt clip.

But oh well, those are just my humble opinions.

when I first got the unit, I was wondering the same thing. I was afraid of loosing the battery cover, and the webbing did seem too tearable. So that coupled with my ability to break, dent, and scratch everything I own, led me to purchase the bash guard. It comes with a lanyard that hooks to where the belt clip does. I like this a lot better. I then put the other hand strap on the zipper of the nylon case (another purchase to attmept to keep something of mine nice.)

I find that I am usually holding the unit by the unit anyway, unless I need to do any 4-point climbing then it goes around my neck.

Night Hunter

usacoolflag.gif

If Wyle E. Coyote could afford all that ACME stuff... Why didn't he just buy DINNER?