Conscientious Caching

I don't know how anyone can say that there is nothing wrong with writing on a sign with permanent marker. Without consent of the owner you are defacing private or public property. Some of the comments state that there is no way that they are going to know who wrote on the sign, does that make it ok then? I know of at least one high ranking US Forest Service administrator who geocaches and I bet he would think twice about supporting geocaches in National or State Parks if he read this thread about the use of permanent markers on signs. There are much better (and legal) ways to post coordinates.

Lake Tahoe Geocacher

[This message was edited by TahoeJoe on January 14, 2003 at 10:53 AM.]

TahooJoe, your argument is getting old. Your just repeating yourself. Either we got your point or we're ignoring you.

I'm sure there are many that agree that markers are illegal. They are not permanent. They can be cleaned off most surfaces. Repeating permanent over and over defeats your point.

I would like to point out that all forms of coordinate posting is illegal. One way or another, one place or another. It is illegal to post something to private property i.e. stickers, labels, duct tape. It is illegal to discard something in a park i.e. film containers, rubbermaid containers.

The only way that could be considered legal is virtual. Where you gather info from signs to work out the next coords.

At some level, park-city-county-state, we are breaking the law every time we cache. Each person has a different take on the severity of the offense. I went to a cache the other day where the owner carved the hint in the bark of a tree. I didn't ridicule the owner for doing it. Even though the first thing I thought was, that's not cool. It's not like it's going to kill the tree.

Anyways calm down. You're not going to force your opinion on others. They just will not bring it up again.

Out of sight, out of mind. Human nature.

geomark8.gif

If you do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

quote:
I went to a cache the other day where the owner carved the hint in the bark of a tree.

Now that's unacceptable in my eyes. Small,inconspicuious markings on a sign with a Sharpie, no harm, no foul. It's a big difference carving hints into the bark of a tree. If I saw this I'd be pretty pissed. First, it CAN kill the tree. Second, it can't be removed.

I also disagree that a geocache should be considered litter, discarded, or abandoned material. I know some land managers use this argument to ban geocaches, but it a specious one at best.

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

quote:
TahooJoe, your argument is getting old. Your just repeating yourself. Either WE got your point or we're ignoring you.

quote:
Anyways calm down. You're not going to force your opinion on others. They just will not bring it up again.
I didn't realize you were the spokesman for the rest of the geocaching community; maybe I should start addressing my posts to you in the future.

Lake Tahoe Geocacher

quote:
Originally posted by TahoeJoe:

I didn't realize you were the spokesman for the rest of the geocaching community; maybe I should start addressing my posts to you in the future.

Hey, sarcasm is my trademark, oh geo-highness.

Leatherman, I agree, this is getting old. How do you stop this pointless runaway train wreck?

BTW, You’ve still never found any of my caches, including the ones where I’ve used a sharpie.

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

I'm sure there are many that agree that markers are illegal.

Then why are we still arguing?

quote:
They are not permanent. They can be cleaned off most surfaces.

I'll wager that almost no one returns to remove them.

quote:

I would like to point out that all forms of coordinate posting is illegal. One way or another, one place or another. It is illegal to post something to private property i.e. stickers, labels, duct tape. It is illegal to discard something in a park i.e. film containers, rubbermaid containers.

Not true. Just ask permission and it is perfectly legal.

quote:

The only way that could be considered legal is virtual. Where you gather info from signs to work out the next coords.

You just contradicted yourself, but you make a good point.

quote:

At some level, park-city-county-state, we are breaking the law every time we cache.

Again, not true. Just ask permission.

quote:

Anyways calm down. You're not going to force your opinion on others.

I don't think he is trying to. He is just voicing his opinion, like you. That is what these forums are for.

geospotter

quote:
Originally posted by TahoeJoe:

quote:
A little leads to a lot. Just look at the mess left here when a geocacher tried to leave cryptic clues to his cache. This was one of the early ones, however, so I think it's been grandfathered...
Rubbing alcohol would do a great job of removing that mess.

Lake Tahoe Geocacher

...and a little spiced rum will make you not care... icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Jacksons:

wd-40 will remove the "stickey" left behind when the duct tape is removedQUOTE]

And......the best removal procedure for WD-40 is...ah...alcohol...and a little rum....and permanent marker ink.. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

David Berne

I've been working on a theory that most people don't bother reading previous posts before jumping in with their own opinions. This seems to be especially true once the topic rolls to the second page. I think you are the only one who actually bothered to check the link on my response.

I posted another absurd response to the "geocaching in graveyards" topic here and it didn't even raise a ripple.

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

I've been working on a theory that most people don't bother reading previous posts before jumping in with their own opinions. This seems to be especially true once the topic rolls to the second page. I think you are the only one who actually bothered to check the link on my response.

I posted another absurd response to the "geocaching in graveyards" topic http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000900883&m=6880920645 and it didn't even raise a ripple.

Worldtraveler

I thought it was serious. I thought, what a considerate person to let himself be used by bicyclists!

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer