Rest stop micros

quote:
Originally posted by hammack:

What do you think about placing micros at reststops while on a roadtrip? As a finder, I would kinda enjoy a quick cache hunt when I stopped at a reststop. I know others may think it's lame.

What do you think?

I think in most causes they wouldn't be approved under the "No Vacation Caches" section of the guidelines.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by RiL:

Ok, I cant find the page with the meanings,so tell me what micros and virtuals are? How do you place these? Where do you get them?

Thanks,

Rick

Micros are just very small caches. Often 35mm film canisters or Altoids sized, but can be almost anything small and waterproof.

Virtuals are interesting locations where it's not possible or legal to place a physical geocache. The GPS takes you to a spot, and you find the answer to a question once you are there.

Once you go out and start finding different caches, you will see how they are. You really should go out and find at least 5-10 caches before hiding one. Make sure to check out all the "new to geocaching" links on the geocaching.com main page, and well as the guidelines for hiding a cache, and Markwell's FAQ over at www.markwell.us

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

i like the idea at rest stops....i would say if everyone did some near their homes so that they can check on them then its great....

i dont have a gps unit so i have planted one LETTERBOX at a rest stop on IH35 near san antonio....i am looking at another rest stop on IH10 near san antonio...

so hopefully i will find another rest stop near me to plant another....

GO FOR IT......and hey ...maybe make it easy (clues) for us without gps units to find too...icon_wink.gif ppllleeezzzzeeee

wanda

I think some people just look at the topic, and totally missed the actual question.

quote:

What do you think about placing micros at reststops while on a roadtrip?

The answer should be clear, especially to anyone who caught these topics just a few weeks ago.

If you can't return in a reasonable time to maintain a cache, don't place it, because it's not gonna get approved anyway.

I've placed 2 at rest stops in my home area, and they've both been well-received. One's a micro, one's a regular (that rest area has woods behind it).

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=56717

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=67715

As other posters have mentioned, make sure it's in your home region and thus maintainable. Case in point, on one of my two I had to replace the container...couldn't have done that if it were a remote "vacation" placement.

-Dave R. in Biloxi

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

I think some people just look at the topic, and totally missed the actual question.

quote:

What do you think about placing micros at reststops while on a roadtrip?

You MUST be able to properly maintain them, for this practice to be OK.

(See, Mopar, someone was listening to you!)

-- I recognize fun when I see it.

As far as placing reststop caches on road trips, I think it depends on how often the owner returns. For example, we live in Northern Nevada and travel to Northern California at least two or three times a month. Only about 140 miles separate us from our destination in Cali. If we ever chose to place in a rest stop along the way, I don't think we'd have a problem maintaining them. I'm sure other cachers who like to place rest stop caches have similar situations.

Finding rest stop caches, however, is awesome! icon_smile.gif It's always a welcomed break in driving monotony.... especially if you are driving on I 95, the most boring stretch of highway in the entire world.

quote:
Originally posted by WolfPack2099:

As far as _placing_ reststop caches on road trips, I think it depends on how often the owner returns.

Yep. Our usual caching region runs from western Montana over to Spokane. While at the limits of our range we would consider ourselves to be on a 'trip', it's still within maintenance range for us.

So the question is, 'Can you regularly maintain such a cache?'

Ron/yumitori

quote:
Originally posted by WolfPack2099:

As far as _placing_ reststop caches on road trips, I think it depends on how often the owner returns. For example, we live in Northern Nevada and travel to Northern California at least two or three times a month. Only about 140 miles separate us from our destination in Cali. If we ever chose to place in a rest stop along the way, I don't think we'd have a problem maintaining them. I'm sure other cachers who like to place rest stop caches have similar situations.

Finding rest stop caches, however, is awesome! icon_smile.gif It's always a welcomed break in driving monotony.... especially if you are driving on I 95, the most boring stretch of highway in the entire world.

Exactly. I have two bases of operation. Chicago and the Indianapolis area (I visit the folks about once a month) -- about 250 miles apart. So I have caches in both states. Never really had any problem getting my Indiana caches approved despite the fact I live three to four hours away.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:

What do you think about placing micros at reststops _while on a roadtrip?_

You MUST be able to properly maintain them, for this practice to be OK.

(See, Mopar, _someone_ was listening to you!)

-- _I recognize fun when I see it._

Yea, but what's to maintain for a micro? The reason why I specified a micro was because if it goes away there's no big loss...you just archive the cache. I would think the vacation rule would not apply to a micro.

Micros don't always just "go away". They're just as likely to become geo-litter if the lid gets lost or the log sheet gets soaked. Micros need less maintenance than a full-size cache, but they need maintenance nonetheless. We tend not to approve a cache unless the owner or a surrogate can maintain them at least every few months.

quote:
Originally posted by hammack:

Yea, but what's to maintain for a micro? The reason why I specified a micro was because if it goes away there's no big loss...you just archive the cache. I would think the vacation rule would not apply to a micro.

sounds more like geoTRASH than a geoCACHE if you have no intentions of going back if there's a problem.

Nothing to see here, move along.

I did 3 rest stop caches today in 420 miles, and passed another 10 rest stops without caches. I just with I'd had some micros made up and ready while I was out.

These caches are a great break from the hypnotising monotony of driving...

Adversity is certain, misery is optional.

texasgeocaching_sm.gifntga_button.gif

let me say this again, and clearly...

FIND them on roadtrips.

HIDE them near your home.

if you placed geo-trash near my home in a rest area i was planning to use for a cache, i'd be plenty toasted.

insert a favorite threat that is likely to be effective here.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

I can understand everyone's feeling on the 'trashcache' aspect. But I have no problems with someone putting, say, a 35 mm plastic film canister in a Rest Area they don't live near. The worst that can happen is somebody stills the canister (thus removing the 'trash') or nobody ever bothers logging it. (since it's hidden it wouldn't really present an eyesore or even be detected).

I found a microcache in a rest area recently. It didn't have a log. It had some pine needles in it. To get credit you had to email the owner and tell him what was in the container.

I think this is a great approach to the problem.

Personally I don't place caches unless I know I'll be able to get back to them at least once a month. But I am grateful for those caches at rest areas -- many of which I assume are techinically vacation caches.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

quote:
Originally posted by RiL:

Ok I understand the what it is but now why use a micro instid of a reg one? Is it just to make it harder to find and improve your skills of hunting?

Rick

There is nothing at all wrong with using a reg one instid of a micro. In fact, a reg one would be preferred- if you can find a place for it. Many rest areas have a small patch of woods where there is some liklihood of finding a hollow or such. But most are very well groomed and because of the constant land maintenance, places to hide a regular sized cache are difficult to find. Also there is usually not much privacy in rest areas, so accessing and re-hiding a cache without giving away its location could be difficult. A micro makes accidental finding a lot less likely.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

As long as there are hiding areas beyond the well maintained areas, but not beyond a fence. Also if the actual Mirco is NOT hidden behind the bowl, and under the tank, I think it would be okay. Also it would be best to hide it only where you would be passing a few times a month, or within 50 miles of HOME.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

Started to say Im sorry for all the questions but im not. Im hooked now so you will just need to icon_smile.gif, icon_rolleyes.gif, icon_razz.gif, and put up with me.

Next question.

With a micro do you place anything other than the log sheet? Could not see much fitting in a film container or a mint can. Do you try and hide them and makeing finding them harder to find?

Thanks,

Rick

I've seen micros both with and without trading items. Most cache owners will state on their cache page that it is a micro and that cachers should bring small items. Others will say that it is a log-only cache. One of the micros in our area asks that you trade the little paper fortunes from fortune cookies. It's fun to try to think of tiny items to place in micros.

As far as the difficulty of micros, the ones I've found have tended to be a bit harder to find than traditionals, whether it's due to hiding place or non-cacher traffic. I personally enjoy micros because of the interesting places they can be placed.