Multi cachers zeroing in at the same time

Guest GuyMcBeerdrinker

Guest GuyMcBeerdrinker

Maybe this has been addressed before, but that the heck? Although I have yet to encounter this problem, I would like to hear other geocachers' views or opinions on this topic and perhaps post some solutions/ideas.

I've seen in logs that some people have come upon a geocache at the same time or right after each other. I, for one, would hate to close in on a cache just to find another group of people looking for it. I think it would just take away from some of the fun of looking for it when you are just a few feet away from it. I would also feel rushed, uncomfortable even, if I were logging in a visit on the log book and a group of cachers came up and "got in line behind me". I would image if I ever encoured this scenario, I would feel the same way I do when I'm making an ATM withdrawal and someone was standing right behind me almost looking over my shoulder.

I'm sure as word spreads about the sport and the weather improves, more people will become involved and a situation like this will be more common.

We could adapt a special marker or flag to warn other geocachers that someone else ahead of them is either looking for or has already found the cache. Luckily, all the caches that I've found have been hidden from view by trees, bushes, or ravines and placing a flag nearby would work. But, what about caches that are on a flat terrain, even if you placed a marker another group could still see you. I say in this case an approching group/individual, or the searching party could yell something (like yelling "fore" at a golf course) to warn them. The approaching party can then backtrack and just standby for a few minutes while the person ahead of them opens the cache, takes and leaves an item and logs their visit, and after they replace it they can yell something back and let them know the coast is clear.

I don't know...let me know what you think about this.

GMcB

[This message has been edited by GuyMcBeerdrinker (edited 01 May 2001).]

Guest CaveToad

I don't think its that much of a problem. The sports growing but not to that degree.

And besides there's the thrill of the hunt up til you get there. If you are found at the cache or find someone at the one you're seeking, it'll be incentive to find one 'on your own'. Even if we see a flag that someone's at a cache it'll give away that we're close.

Guest Ron Streeter

Since there are often multiple ways into a cache, you might need a few flags, and anyway, how far away from the cache would you place one to warn people off?

I have experienced this twice, once having someone beat me to it by 100 feet (I was above them on a trail and saw them) and once as I was coming down from a cache, I saw people coming up.

It happens.

I don't think the flag idea will work primarily because of the multiple entry points for some caches. (imho)

Guest Anton

r finding the few available to them. Demand exceeds supply.

It's happened in my area because there are only 11 caches total, and they were all planted in the last three weeks (talk about growing!). As more caches appear, the activity will spread out, especially for the new people coming along.

Of course, those of us who started earlier will all convene on the next new cache. Oh well, c'est la cache. As usual, the "early adopters" pay a premium for being pioneers.

Remember to be polite. Don't trip the first guy to pass you on the trail holding a GPS. After all, he might NOT be a cacher. You don't want to harm civilians - bad PR. Just ask the Navy.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 01 May 2001).]

Guest Eoghan

I've actually been in this situation from both sides.

The first time, I was bushwacking up a hill and came upon two guys pulling the cache out of its hiding spot. I held up my eTrex, smiled, and said "Geocaching?". We talked for a few minutes and then my girlfriend and I walked about 20' away and let them do their thing. After they were done we moved in, signed in, and rehid. Hopefully the guys didn't feel too rushed, but once I'd blundered up I thought I should at least say HI.

The second time, we were looking for a cache and two other people came within about 50' and just hovered without saying anything. We eventually saw the GPS they were carrying so we knew that we didn't have to be too careful about giving the cache away to non geocachers. But it still felt like the vultures were circling so we just punted on the cache and went somewhere else.

So my suggestion is to look ahead and don't be noticed if at all possible, but if you can't, at least be friendly and say Hi.

Guest Dan Bollinger

I don't think this is going to be much of a problem for two reasons. First, as more people become involved, they'll be hiding their caches, too thereby diluting the chance of coming across someone. Second, if it becomes a bit of a problem, searchers will search during off times, much like I do now when surfing the 'net. I think it will be a self-regulating problem.

Guest kbraband

When we bump into other hunters, I think we should embrace these unexpected meetings as a way to meet new people. So what if you search together? Or if someone else finds it first? You still get to log in, and you still benefit from the enjoyment of the hike and being outdoors. What could be better than meeting someone new who shares your interest in GPS, hiking, and geocaching? Since you already have at least these 3 things in common, you may just acquire some new long-term friends.

Guest Silver

And after reading this topic for a couple of days, of course it had to happen to me again today! icon_smile.gif

I was just getting started on a hunt when I noticed another person walking down the hill, obviously reading a GPS unit. We exchanged greetings and proceded to hunt together. It worked out well because the cache was a 3.5/3.5 and we needed more than one set of eyes to find this one.

Meeting geocachers while searching has always been a positive experience for me.

Silver

Guest Silver

And after reading this topic for a couple of days, of course it had to happen to me again today! icon_smile.gif

I was just getting started on a hunt when I noticed another person walking down the hill, obviously reading a GPS unit. We exchanged greetings and proceded to hunt together. It worked out well because the cache was a 3.5/3.5 and we needed more than one set of eyes to find this one.

Meeting geocachers while searching has always been a positive experience for me.

Silver

Guest Nemesis

It's great to see a problem like this resolving itself. It just shows what a friendly bunch us geocachers really are icon_smile.gif.

Regards,

Donovan Govan.

Guest Nemesis

It's great to see a problem like this resolving itself. It just shows what a friendly bunch us geocachers really are icon_smile.gif.

Regards,

Donovan Govan.

Guest LoCache

I have only had this happen once, but it was a good thing. I met up with a couple of fellow Geocachers....they walked up while I was about 30 feet from the cache trying to use the compass to locate it. They saw me and realized what I was up to. I think maybe they were a little let down to get that close and then see me, but that was quickly replaced by two things....new found friends interested in the same thing, and joining forces and seekeing it the rest of the way together. It was fun and nice to meet some others. Also, the Geocahing community is VERY diverse...I would have expected it to be a more narrow demographic but I have noticed it varies tremendously which is great.

I think that if you discover someone on to it ahead of you, you can choose to introduce yourself and make a new friend or mark your location and go take a breather while they finish, then come back. Shouldn't be any need for disappointment, imho.

Later,

Geo

http://www.geopolitan.net/geotrex

Guest bearboy

I think it would be cool to meet people that share the same interest as me and talk a little about geocaching.I think we should be cool to each other.Not snobby.definately say hi at least, If you walk right up on somebody else.If I thought I could stay out of their site and not mess up the moment I would wait until the other folks left and then move in.

Guest Gossamyrrh

I've only ever met one cacher on the trail, but I'd think that once you discovered you had company, a polite inquiry from a respectful distance as to if your fellow cachers would like assistance would be in order. If so, great...and if not...wait your turn!

Guest genegarris

I have met Locache and a the Stine family at different geocaching locations. I think it is a good thing. Geocaching.com has built a community and I look foward to meeting even more of my fellow geocachers at a geocaching event.

Guest Exocet

I've met other geocachers twice now. I met a guy named Trebor (Robert backwards) and Wit Camp (as he was checking up on his own cache!). It was fun and a get-together at some eatery or gathering place would be cool.

Guest makaio

I recently placed a cache in a local Nature Park. I figured it'd get hunted fairly quickly. After two weeks with no logs, I decided to head back there and double check all the coords and clues (it's a multi-cache with 12 locations to hit). While hiking the trails I noticed multiple people with GPS units and papers in their hands icon_smile.gif I did stop to talk with one of them (Pete). I mentioned I was the cache hider and verifying my data. He commended me on creating an awesome challenge and that this was his 2nd day back to hunt the cache having run out of time the first time. I suggested making it easier but he advised me to leave it just as it is. More challenge makes the find that much more satisfying. Someone did find it yesterday which confirms my data to be correct icon_smile.gif

Guest makaio

I recently placed a cache in a local Nature Park. I figured it'd get hunted fairly quickly. After two weeks with no logs, I decided to head back there and double check all the coords and clues (it's a multi-cache with 12 locations to hit). While hiking the trails I noticed multiple people with GPS units and papers in their hands icon_smile.gif I did stop to talk with one of them (Pete). I mentioned I was the cache hider and verifying my data. He commended me on creating an awesome challenge and that this was his 2nd day back to hunt the cache having run out of time the first time. I suggested making it easier but he advised me to leave it just as it is. More challenge makes the find that much more satisfying. Someone did find it yesterday which confirms my data to be correct icon_smile.gif