Whats in a name!!

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

quote:
Originally posted by Cachier:

The dude? He's http://www.jowsey.com/kokopelli/kokopelli.html

My reference to him is the musical side of Kokopelli. He's also a flute player. Mind you , I play the flute: badly. Music Ed vocal major, instrumental minor, clarinet as a main instrument. Now I sing and play piano and direct...

...and find http://www.roadkill.com/MDB/album.phtml/6184 in the woods.

Plus, I kinda thought this rendition of him made his head look like Sputnik.

http://www.amsat-dl.org/starcity/sputnik.jpg

http://www.markwell.us

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com

And all the while I though it was a quadrifler antenna array icon_wink.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

quote:
Originally posted by Cachier:

The dude? He's http://www.jowsey.com/kokopelli/kokopelli.html

My reference to him is the musical side of Kokopelli. He's also a flute player. Mind you , I play the flute: badly. Music Ed vocal major, instrumental minor, clarinet as a main instrument. Now I sing and play piano and direct...

...and find http://www.roadkill.com/MDB/album.phtml/6184 in the woods.

Plus, I kinda thought this rendition of him made his head look like Sputnik.

http://www.amsat-dl.org/starcity/sputnik.jpg

http://www.markwell.us

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com

And all the while I though it was a quadrifler antenna array icon_wink.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

quote:
Originally posted by Sea Wolf:

My nick came from my other hobby.... medieval/renaissance re-creation. In the societies that I play in, I depict a 16th Cen. Scottish privateer named Gavvin Quinn.

Are you in the SCA? Just curious.

SimonG

Yes, I am a member of the SCA along with a couple of other groups. I have not been active in the SCA for a couple of years though. I last played in the Barony of Elfsea in the Kingdom of Ansteorra. I have lived/played in 4 different kingdoms over the last 12 or so years.

From that Kokopelli site - some stuff worth quoting...

=============

The figure represents a mischievous trickster or the Minstrel, spirit of music.

<...>

His whimsical nature, charitable deeds, and vital spirit give him a prominent position in Native American mysticism.

<...>

Kokopelli is considered a symbol of fertility who brought well-being to the people, assuring success in hunting...

<...>

His "hump" was often considered a bag of gifts...

<...>

Kokopelli often displayed...

=============

...ummmm never mind.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

My name SunCrush... the sun part of it is from the state i was born in.. Florida the SUNshine state and i love to drink orange CRUSH... so there ya go SUNCRUSH. Traumajunkie21's name comes from he is a EMT and a trauma junkie and the 21 is the 2 beging numbers of the station he volunteers at. So there ya go SunCrush and Traumajunkie21!!! icon_biggrin.gif

My name SunCrush... the sun part of it is from the state i was born in.. Florida the SUNshine state and i love to drink orange CRUSH... so there ya go SUNCRUSH. Traumajunkie21's name comes from he is a EMT and a trauma junkie and the 21 is the 2 beging numbers of the station he volunteers at. So there ya go SunCrush and Traumajunkie21!!! icon_biggrin.gif

The Leprechauns just "fit" my daughter and me because we sneak around the woods looking for the elusive pot o' gold, making sure nobody can see us.

But on top of that, we are very proud of our Irish heritage and visited Ireland in 2 B.G. (that's two years before discovering geocaching... all time is now marked either B.G. or A.G.) Someday we hope to return there and hunt some caches in the most beautiful countryside we've ever seen.

Little Leprechaun (age 8) is well on her way to becoming a champion Irish dancer (Riverdance, Lord of the Dance...) Recently we traveled out of town for a competition where she won her first medal, and we also found seven caches. One of the reasons for buying a GPS was worrying about getting lost as we drive to strange cities to find the dance competition sites.

Our favorite cache thus far is the devilishly difficult The Leprechaun's Treasure, rated 5/3. When you find that one, your jaw drops and you cannot talk for 30 seconds until you catch your breath.

We put a shamrock sticker in every logbook we find, and we end our paper logs with "May the luck of the Irish be with you on all your cache hunts." Which is what we also wish to our friends here on the forums...

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Daddy, are we there yet? No, .17 to go. Are we there yet? No, .16 to go....."

I've spent most of my adult life working the night shift Midnight - 8am or 3pm - Midnight.

I'm a true Night Hawk, even on my day's off I'm routinely up until 3 or 4am, sometimes I'll just stay up and watch the sun rise.

I don't know if I'd ever be able to handle working a "normal" 9 - 5 job.

Well, I've been known as Bear since the second grade when I played a Teddy Bear in a school play. Afterwards, kids always seemed to befreind me, trusting me, like thier favorite teddy bear. Later, when I discovered girls (look it up in the history books folks, I did discover them icon_biggrin.gif ), they found me to be cuddly like a teddy bear. icon_wink.gif So, when I got into computers and was looking for a handle for Q-Link back in '83, "Ted E Bear" just seemed natural. Now, I just go by Bear.

Ting, on the other hand, came from a name my wife used in a RPG we played with some friends. She played a pixie (think of Tinkerbell or some other type of faerie) and was VERY mischeivious and extremely intelligent. Of course, she had the innocence of a child and she played it to the hilt too. "Who? Me" was often a quote we heard from her, usually after something bad happened and we blamed her (it really WAS her fault). And, she managed to keep us in stitches with her antics and off collar remarks. Just ask her sometime about what she said when we found a Golumn statue standing like 70 feet tall and blocking the pass, keeping us from getting through. Go ahead, ask her, I dare ya!

Bear & Ting

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

Well, I've been known as Bear since the second grade when I played a Teddy Bear in a school play. Afterwards, kids always seemed to befreind me, trusting me, like thier favorite teddy bear. Later, when I discovered girls (look it up in the history books folks, I did discover them icon_biggrin.gif ), they found me to be cuddly like a teddy bear. icon_wink.gif So, when I got into computers and was looking for a handle for Q-Link back in '83, "Ted E Bear" just seemed natural. Now, I just go by Bear.

Ting, on the other hand, came from a name my wife used in a RPG we played with some friends. She played a pixie (think of Tinkerbell or some other type of faerie) and was VERY mischeivious and extremely intelligent. Of course, she had the innocence of a child and she played it to the hilt too. "Who? Me" was often a quote we heard from her, usually after something bad happened and we blamed her (it really WAS her fault). And, she managed to keep us in stitches with her antics and off collar remarks. Just ask her sometime about what she said when we found a Golumn statue standing like 70 feet tall and blocking the pass, keeping us from getting through. Go ahead, ask her, I dare ya!

Bear & Ting

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

Well, at first I didn't think it was the best idea to say, because I don't want to tell the world my real name. JHWF are my intinals. I have 2 middle names. JHWF is already taken at some places so I through my favorite number 4 on the end.

jhwf4

My admin account is Iryshe, the original spelling for my last name. My lineage goes back to the battle of hastings with William D'Iryshe.

My old nicknames were Randall Flagg (Steve King fame, Flagg for short), Tinman, Palpatine (on my Star Wars Mud), and Stakesauce when I'm fragging people on Half-Life (Quake, etc.)

My name here is Jeremy. I figured as the webmaster I should have no moniker.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

My avatar is from a random sketch I drew in high school or college, I forget which now. He was christened Alonzo Neffertiti, the Dino-Super-Prophet. Now I use him and his somewhat abbreviated name as my logo for any project I undertake.

No relation the geocaching or GPS or the outdoors, sorry.

I also enjoy four wheeling and a form of four wheeling is called 'rock crawling' I live in the province of British Columbia, so bcrockcrawler.

My wife loves crafts, and one is doing cross stitching, so xstitcher.

My son, who loves/hates geocaching, races a BMX bike, so BMXer.

Nothing to cute, but it works....

We live on a rock, ergo we rockcrawl.......

Web-ling is a mispronunciation of my last name, Wendling.

A few years ago, I was looking for a name for my website. Wendling.com was already taken. Back when I used to teach elementary school, a lot of kids mispronounced my name as Webling. Webling.com was already taken, so I went with Web-ling.com. Since web is short for World Wide Web, and I was making a website, it sort of had a double-meaning.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

I first used this name at another site on Feb. 15, 2000. I have been a Scout leader and Scoutmaster for many years. Both sons are Eagle Scouts. The E stands for Eagle and electronic, and is the name of a patch we give out yearly to local Scouts who excel in a series of field events.

My avatar is the orienteering merit badge, and the motto is...

Originally, my name was Addikt, which is an online identity I came up with back in 1998 or so. I used that mainly for online gaming (primarily TFC), and adopted it into a forum identity which I still use elsewhere. It goes along with a passion I don't partake in as much, and that is my love of computers. With a second child, and geocaching (not to mention...work), there isn't as much time as I'd like to have to enjoy everything.

At any rate, on to my current identity here. It's a combination of my original online identity, and a friend of mine, who goes by insomniak on a forum we both visit. Combined, you have Team A.I. Coincidentally, my name is Brian, and his is Jake. Our first names start with the next letter in the alphabet from our online names. Just a bit of useless knowledge for the masses. icon_smile.gif

Most people assumed it had something to do with the movie of the same name.

Brian

Team A.I.

Well ok, wasn't going to reply to this, since I have no idea on two of the guys. Thought it over and decided why not. "The Buzzard's" was taken from gumby who made t-shirts for all of us who hang out together in bars, which he came up with a "Bar Buzzards" design. This stuck and later became "The Buzzard's" for our own line of wing sauces and is now used for the name of our own Buzzard's Brewery, yes we brew our own beer, which we serve at the Buzzard's Nest (gutpiles basement).

As for my name ZiggyStadust, obviously comes from David Bowie's alter ego from the 70's. shortyroach is because she is short, duh. Then gutpiles, got his name from a tattoo he has with the saying "Happiness is warm gutpiles", you can tell he's a hunter. Then there is gumby & pokey, which is my brother and his son. He always loved drawing and collecting Gumby & Pokey stuff. I have no clue on fudwumper or punzy1 though.

This is TMI I know, sorry!

Heya

Mine is a play on the pronunciation of my last name - Nienke. Get it? icon_wink.gif

My Wisconsin and Kansas relatives pronounce it differently, but who care about those guys anyway!?

Nienke is a fairly popular Dutch female first name, believe it or not. Ask Yotian Soldier!

Will

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

Mine's easy. Olympia WA is notorious for its high population of pseudo-hippies and activist wanna-be's. Basically a bunch of college kids from wealthy families pretending to be oppressed and on the pulse of society. It's my little tribute to all they don't do. icon_smile.gif

Mine is a scripture reference: "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field." (Matthew 13:44)

Aside from the obvious tie to geocaching, it's one of those great truths of life — not just as it applies to spiritual things but to anything. If we're going to grow we need to look outside ourselves.

Mine refers to the last thing a tank crew wants to do, which is "break track". It is a real job to deal with. So it comes out as the old show biz greeting, "break a leg" but instead, its "break a track."

More times than not we had to break track when someone threw a track, or in other words, they managed to screw up and walk their tank right out of it's shoes...lol. I managed to get through my entire career without ever throwing a track, but I've busted a few off to replace guides and track blocks, etc. My platoon sergeant even managed to entirely shear off a final drive sprocket one time... now that's some rough driving!!

REMEMBER LITTLE JOE!!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

Sometimes I pretend that I named myself after the Greek scultured representation of a young virile man, but sadly, it is not the case.

I'm not named after a cheap brand of aftershave, either.

The truth of the matter is that at the time I was first started getting 'into' the Internet, I was also working in a Shoe Shop.

Shoes in shoe shops often have their own model names (in the same way cars do). Some are named after their style (ie, sandals are often Beach names) whereas some are rather more randomly named (like after film stars. I remember one particular pair of awful orange(!) trainers being called DeNiro - like he'd ever wear them).

One of the models of boots was called Kouros, and I figured it sounded kinda cool, and adopted it. At the time, I had no idea what it meant, but once I found out, I was fairly keen on keeping it.

It's the name I use for most login names, when it's not already taken.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

Mine comes from an 80's movie called St.Elmo's Fire. A character played by Rob Lowe is having a hard time finding his place in life after college. One quote is: "College was pretty outtahand. In life, there's just no way to be outtahand." I originally used OuttaHand as the name of my 4x4's (you know -- the bug shield up on the hood that has a name painted on it). It seemed at the time like that was MY way of getting outtahand after college. It just kinda stuck with me as a username here-and-there -- and now here. I guess geocaching is now my way of getting "outta hand". I know -- I'm getting older!!!

A "blackshoe" used to be anybody in the Navy that isn't an aviator, who all wear brown shoes. The real men, who drive warships into harms way and shoot the big guns and real missiles, adopted the "blackshoe" nickname as Surface Warriors. Just as a coincidence, my last name is the German for "shoe", and my favorite color is black, the cars have all been black, the hat is black, and of course, the shoes are black.

SVT + GPS = fast cache

FullOn was the name of a band I was in back in college, so when time came to get an email address for the band, since I was the only with an internet connection at the time (way back in the early 90's), I got FullOn as my email. It's stuck ever since.

icon_biggrin.gif Mine should be fairly obvious. I live in Central Texas and trekking is what we do when we geocache.

Originally, I was 4genatxn, which stood for forth generation native texan, but after I attended a couple of events and had to say it out loud, I decided to change. My daughter is Geokatt because she loves cats.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

My nick is also a holdover from the old days of BBSes and even before Q-Link! Back in about '85 I was a regular in the BBS scene and used the name Reuben M. Flagg from the comic series "American Flagg" by Howard Chaykin.

My avatar is from the National Lampoon High School Yearbook parody. If you don't know what that is, you should! It's one of the funniest things that I have ever read...again and again.

RMFlagg

ScurvyDog was given to me by my Dad. One summer we (my dad & I) JetSkied from Wahweap Marina to Bullfrog. That is on Lake Powell,Arizona and Utah. I got a weeks worth of sun in one day. My face blistered and pealed the next day. "You look like a ScurvyDog" and it has stuck ever since.

ScurvyDog Lakewood,CA

I picked Diva because I was a music major in college, and because I tell my students that I'm the diva of the classroom. They sometimes call me Queen B. And that "B" stands for my last name!!! icon_wink.gif

Hubby is Dark Star because he's a major DeadHead and all his nicknames have to be a Dead reference. He wanted PigPen, but it was taken.

Desert Viking: My roots are Norwegian, with a heavy emphasis on vikings. Vikings were not just the pillagers depicted in history, they were explorers as well. Since we live in the desert...

Tsegi Mike: Born and raised on the Navajo Reservation with roots in Canyon de Chelly. Tsegi is a Navajo word refering to his family's home.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898